electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Babaluma - Throb
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Gregg Hermetech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Babaluma - Throb
Subject description: Tangerine Dream Inspired FM Bass Sequence
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a new "track" for want of a better word.

it's a completely self playing patch from the modular (frac rack 43 modules plus sony r7 reverb), i didn't tweak any knobs while recording.

the first version is digitally post-processed with only the endorphin compressor/limiter/eq vst

http://darkflame.hermetech.net/Musick/Babaluma-Throb.mp3

the second version is digitally post-processed by splitting the stereo signal into sum and difference parts (or mono/stereo, or mid/side etc), then processing the mono part with a subtle "tube" like distortion, and the stereo part with 4 modulated band-pass filters. the m/s signals are then recombined into normal stereo and processed with the endorphin vst. i LOVE this type of m/s processing. notice how occasionally the stereo space and depth gets RIDICULOUSLY HUUUUUGE without it sounding like an overdose of reverb - nice trick Wink

http://darkflame.hermetech.net/Musick/Babaluma-ThrobMSMix.mp3
bigtex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very good. All of the effects you use are so subtle. It's just smooth, undulating, pulsating, but nothing is "obvious" or distracting.

That second version is just so slightly different from the first, but the additional oomph and stereo spread is quite nice. Though there are a few points near the end where the filter modulation hits a sort of sweet spot where the reverb becomes a little more distinguishable. It's like the reverb momentarily fades in and out. I don't really hear it in the first version. Perhaps the modulation is just a little too deep at those points?

Otherwise, quite well done. I really like it. I can distinguish between the two versions, but I can't decide which version I prefer.

Is this the beginning of a more complex track or is it intended to stand on it's own as a minimal, meditative sort of track?
bigtex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, since this is the Modular Synthesis section, how about you give a little detail about how this is patched up. It might be interesting to start a trend of posting audio and then describing how it was created. Hmmm.... I should do some of that...
Gregg Hermetech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey bigtex!

thanks for listening and commenting.

yes, i try to be subtle with effects, there's nothing worse than obviously too much reverb/delay.

this is about as far as i usually get with a track i'm afraid. i would like to make things into longer completed versions with multiple overdubs/layers etc, but i don't usually find the time to get around to it...

the modular patch is not too complicated -

the pitch/amplitude cv side goes like this:
the wiard noise ring is spitting out random pulsed voltages into a scale/note quantiser (blacet/wiard miniwave) into a blacet vco. the pulsing nature is derived from the trigger out of the noise ring which is triggering a blacet envelope generator which controls the amplitude of the vco via a vca.

the audio side goes like this:
two of the blacet vco outs, the saw (going through a blacet stonz vc phaser being modulated by a slow lfo) and vc wave (goes from triangle to square and is being modulated by a different slow lfo) go into a wiard boogie filter (which is slightly overdriven for some nice distorted harmonics). the filter cutoff is modulated by the same voltage as the vco pitch, AND the alternate output of the noise ring (it has two outs, for mathematicians one is n+1 and the other is 2 to the power of n). the resonance is set quite high and i'm using the 6dB per octave output. the vco is also being slightly frequency modulated by another audio rate vco square wave (about 2 octaves higher than the main vco). the whole sound then also goes through 2 analogue BBD devices (blacet time machines - one panned hard left the other hard right), and only the delayed sounds are processed by the sony r7 reverb unit. the dry sound has boss dc-2 analogue bbd dimension chorus applied for more extra stereo shenanigans.

so that's the patch!

there is a "windy" sound in the background, which is only apparent on the MS mix, i think, and that's due to the SIDE signal being put through 4 band pass filters, this sometimes also gives a "vocal" like quality too.

i'd be happy to master/remix/fuck up anyone else tracks for free if they would be willing to supply me with unmastered 32bit floating point versions!!! i have a lot of experience, analogue modular gear and digital mastering tricks up my sleeve!
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: