electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Analog Effects PCBs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gusjdt

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Analog Effects PCBs? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello guys,

I'm going to be building an analog synth for a science fair and for personal enjoyment. I want to include analog effect modules like analog delay and distortion. Does anyone know where I can find PCBs with parts lists for sale of these type of effects? Also, does anyone know where I can find a PCB with parts lists of a simple 4 input mixer module with level control pots for each input, and a single output?

Thanks in advance!

Gustavo J.

toppobrillo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I want to include analog effect modules like analog delay and distortion. Does anyone know where I can find PCBs with parts lists for sale of these type of effects?

www.musiciansfriend.com arion effects, cheap as it gets

for some DIY projects

tonepad.com

generalguitargadgets.com

topopiccione.atspace.com/index.html

...and a bazillion others... do a googling
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good kits from Craig Anderton's Electronic Projects For Musicians book at Paia:
http://paia.com/epfm.htm

gusjdt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I should just buy one of those pedal effects and take the PCB and wiring out and install it somewhere in my synth? That's kind of what I first thought...

Also, thanks for the Paia link, I found an 8 in, 1 out mixer which is perfect for what I need (I needed two 4 in, 1 out, but this is good enough). I also found other good PCBs to buy from Paia which I had never seen, kind of overlooked it I guess.

Now I have another question (I have a feeling I'm going to be asking a few in this forum throughout the duration of this project..), how can I make the final output of my synthesizer stereo? Do I just add a reverse mixer, 1 in, 2 out, kind of PCB at the very end?

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, you could just split the mono signal, but that's only going to give you dual mono, ie; the same signal will be on both channels, which is not really stereo. If the mixer you're thinking of using is an 8in 1out then you'll be back to mono again anyway. The only way of making a synth really stereo is to build it so it produces two different sounds from the same control signals, ie; 2+VCOs and/or 2VCFs and/or 2VCAs, ADSRs etc etc.
I think it would be easier to keep the synth mono, and put some kind of stereo effect at the end. Chorus, delay, etc.

toppobrillo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
So I should just buy one of those pedal effects and take the PCB and wiring out and install it somewhere in my synth? That's kind of what I first thought...

well cant beat it for the price.. i have alot of those Arion schematics somewhere, you can find them online easily..

Danelectro is another brand of the cheapo effect, phasers, flangers, analog delay, etc. the newer pedals use alot of SMT components and really small [too small i say] potentiometers, so, i say for the price and ease of 'hackability' you could do better... but yeah, why not?

josh
gusjdt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To give you guys an idea on what I want to do, heres is my design so far. This design is the default patch, and the idea is to be able to make sounds without patching, but also, I could override the default and make complex patches. It is more or less the semi-modular design used on the Ocean Synth by Rutger Vlek. If you dont know which is the Ocean Synth, here's a link: http://www.jordanrudess.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5651

Edit: the comment on the file got cut. Here's what I wrote:

Quick correction on the mixer comment in the paint file, mixer 2 can be used for anything, as well as mixer 1, wether it be the VCOs, the filter's self oscillation, or external signals. Now that I found the 8 in, 1 out, I will probably be replacing the 2 mixers with the 8 in 1 out mixer.

Synthesizer Design and Notes.jpg
 Description:
Quick correction on the mixer comment in the paint file, mixer 2 can be used for anything, as well as mixer 1, wether it be the VCOs, the filter's self oscillation, or external signals. Now that I found the 8 in, 1 out, I will probably be replacing the 2
 Filesize:  76.17 KB
 Viewed:  196 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Synthesizer Design and Notes.jpg

Mikmo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A good source for PCB layouts for effects is www.tonepad.com.

They are of course rather guitar oriented, but i build the PT2399 basd dlay from the site it works fine.

They sell PCB's for some of the projects.

Craig Andertons book is very very good, it explains a lot of stuff in the first chapters, but you should be aware that many of the projects (most) is based on som opamps that are litterally impossible to get.

Some guy at www.generalguitargadgets.com redisigned the Anderton PCB layouts to use available opamps, but you still need to buy the book of ourse

gusjdt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks very much for the reply. I will look into this Craig Anderton book.
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Craig Anderton book gets so many thumbs up from me - great and well designed projects and so much useful info crammed in there. I've got an old copy that has a flexi-disc demonstration 7" with it - dope.!.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: