electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Diode ID question
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Diode ID question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first cloning project is quickly coming to fruition, with one little boondoggle: identifying three tiny diodes!! Everthing I can comb from the net regarding testing and ID only goes so far as verifying that the part is good or bad. Even then it requires removing it from the PCB, which I want to avoid at all costs. It is a very old and small board densly packed with parts and I cant risk botching it at all ( I would dehydrate from crying). I have been able to ID all of the other parts by macro photos, but these damn diodes dont show any outward traits of ID.

Does anyone have any genius ideas regarding how to figure out the values of these buggers? Elsewise I will likely fill out the proto board and test a zillion types until striking gold. Im sure there are way better routes to take but I am merely a newbie tinkerer employing his own "scientific" methods... Smile Any help at all is straight from heaven.

Thanks.
zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
Do i understand that you want the exact diode because you want to clone the unit as good as possible?
What do they do (in the circuit)? Most likely you wouldn´t hear the difference to another type if it functions in some controll aspect. If it really does sound - well you´ve got all the rest right - find an old (germanium?) that sounds the same. Propably won´t take that long.
I´m no expert, but i have desoldered a lot of old diodes. No labeling, no ID. At least i can´t imagine. With some good lab you could maybe find out how fast/slow, (non)linear it is...

zipzap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is it, anyhow? Just curious.
numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Diode ID question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its a KEIO sythesizer traveller pedal. Took the best part of 10 years to land it, and I am dead afraid of screwing with it too much, beyond all the prodding and probing so far. I have been able to locate pretty much every component to match, but the diode part has me temporarily stumped. I havent really laid out the schematic yet ( I only just began to run with this idea but I tend to get obsessive and want it sussed out NOW!!) so im not sure what their exact functions are as of yet.
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes firstly it should be important to know what they do in the circuit, i dont know what the traveler is, is it a guitar effect or something? there are a few different types of diodes, but in your low-voltage/low-amperage type of circuit, it's prolly not too critical stuff at all, unless, of course, they are zeners or schottkys or something!

desoldering isnt too hard if you must, use 'desoldering braid' and dont apply heat too long at a time so you dont lift the trace. check for voltage drop, .6-.7 is silicon, .3 or so is Ge. oh, all the Ge diodes i have seen are bigger than the small-signal silicon type.

take a picture of the board close-up if you can

good luck

josh
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
desoldering isnt too hard if you must, use 'desoldering braid' and dont apply heat too long at a time so you dont lift the trace. check for voltage drop, .6-.7 is silicon, .3 or so is Ge. oh, all the Ge diodes i have seen are bigger than the small-signal silicon type.

You may also want to see if it is a Zener diode by hooking it up in series with a 1K resistor, connect a variable power supply to the cathode end and a voltmeter across the resistor. When the voltage starts to rise, this will the Zener voltage of the diode. If you get up to 15 or 20 volts and still no voltage appears to rise across the resistor, then it is a conventional diode.

Power Supply ---------===-----------<><><-----------GRD.
...............................DIODE............... 1K
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: