electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
i love the sound of Nord
Page 1 of 4 [76 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: i love the sound of Nord
Subject description: .......asdfasd..........
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you often hear people question the Nord sound. too digital, too harsh, too bright, no warmth etc.

these are qualities i would agree with, for the most part. at least, i understand what people are saying when they say the sound is harsh.

but i have to say i like it. is it an age thing? a cultural thing? are some people too used to analogue to appreciate the qualities of something new? or am i unrefined and uncouth, a treble noise fetishist? (although i strongly believe we're all born bass positive... myself included)

i saw Prince live, and he spent a lot of time doing solo improvs with a Nord lead. you know how you can just tell when someone is passionate about an instrument? he kept coming back to it and looking over at it (hilariously he kept giving it that "ahm gonna giv u some lurve" look) and he just seemed to love it's feel. it sounded great, but i put that down to an excellent soundman and exceptional performance skills. in hindsight i think prince was digging the pitch stick... is that on the nord lead?

i dug autechre around the lp5 era, and saw them live spending a lot of time with the nord 1 modular. i loved the clicks and ticks and whirs, essentially the hi-hat domain, and when i heard them say that's what they were using the nord for, i fell in love with the synth.

took me about 4 to 5 years to get one, and then it was the G2.

and you know what? it sounds like a G2. it sounds like a Nord and i'm glad it does.

i'd be mighty agrieved if i bought a moog that sounded like an SH-101, or a Yamaha Dx series synth that sounded like a Farfisa.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: i love the sound of Nord

Stanley Pain wrote:

i'd be mighty agrieved if i bought a moog that sounded like an SH-101, or a Yamaha Dx series synth that sounded like a Farfisa.

That's fair, but who wouldn't buy a G2 that sounded like a (early model) Virus?

mattp

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It started for me with a Nord Lead II, then after reading how Cristian Vogel, Speedy J and Autechre used this mad looking synth I bought a Micro Modular (Since then I've moved to a keyboard NM1 and a G2 engine).

I love the sound of the Modular and I like the digitalness about it. I really like it when it's offset with some sort of warm analogue bass from say a SH-101 or even the DSI Evolver.

I'm very glad it sounds like nothing else.
suthnear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: i love the sound of Nord

Kassen wrote:

me
suthnear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was a bit terse Smile I'm another big fan of the g2 sound. I have a fair bit of other equipment (analogue fixed path and modular, digital hardware and software) and I've been through even more over the years and the g2 is one of my favourites.

Quote:
re some people too used to analogue to appreciate the qualities of something new? or am i unrefined and uncouth, a treble noise fetishist?

It's fun to discuss our sonic likes and dislikes, but one should never attach any significance to them. After all, 'les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas'
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the nord G2 sounds as well, all of them. Except the ones I don't like.
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: i love the sound of Nord

Kassen wrote:
Stanley Pain wrote:

i'd love a virus, but not if it sounded like a G2... Razz
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's the thing Stanley, if someone wants a Virus type sound, they should get a Virus and not complain that they can't get a Virus sound out of a G2 (or any other non Virus-like sounding synth). In the same respect, if a G2 did sound like a Virus, then maybe we couldn't get such a wide variety of non Virus-like sounds from it? Having said that, I certainly wouldn't mind having a few Virus-like filter modules to play with too. Very Happy

Before I purchased my G2, I was somewhat under the impression that it would be able to make any sound... silly me! I soon discovered that it does some kinds of sound amazingly well and others not so well. Then I learned to patch a bit better and realised that it could do more sounds well than I had first thought, but still not all sounds. The simple solution for me is to use it for the sounds that it does do well. Very Happy

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem is that when you hit on the sonic limitations of the G2, you often tend to challenge yourself with the thought "Oh, that's just my lack of patching skills. This thing is modular, it can do anything. It's my fault." -and spend/waste days or even weeks battling with it.

Sometimes, this battle is time well spent -but more often it is a complete waste of time.
sheridan

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
The problem is that when you hit on the sonic limitations of the G2, you often tend to challenge yourself with the thought "Oh, that's just my lack of patching skills. This thing is modular, it can do anything. It's my fault." -and spend/waste days or even weeks battling with it.

Sometimes, this battle is time well spent -but more often it is a complete waste of time.

I'd have to agree with that although nowadays I have a slightly better idea on which sounds I can and can't get from my G2. Very Happy

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think its a generational thing. I'm probably the most senior member here having played analog synths since 1967 and I prefer the G2 sound. It is very full spectrum and uncolored. I have some beefs with the G2, but the sound isn't one of them.

My approach to electro-music is to explore the instrument and let it show me the sounds, not try to create some preconceived sound. I want the instrument to always be a bit of a mystery to me. I like the process of discovery.

Still, I love banjos, grand pianos, harmonicas, Moogs, Kymas, and crackle boxes. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tusker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have played with different kinds of musicians in western and eastern contexts, and the great ones always had some things in common:

They respected their instruments and the process of making music. They also had an appropriate humility as they contemplated that vast ocean called music.

So I think it's a very lovely healthy attitude to love the Nord for what it can do. I have to admit. It took me awhile to get there. In fact, many of you will recall my asking about moogy filters and things of that kind. And many of you indulged me. It shows a lack of imagination that the first thing I did was to try to build a mini with the Nord. But I guess that is part of the process of growing up. Now I know I still haven't fully grown up because most of my sounds are still familiar, tonal timbres. But I've grown a little ... thanks to this community,

Jerry
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i tend to create patches with a particular "sound" (made up of the Nord sound and affected by my own tricks). but i am not deviating from it - and this is something i intend to change in the future. i do not think it is the nord sound which is preventing me from exploring a different "sound", but it is more a change in changing my workflow.

i love the nord sound. which is why i have 2 nords.
/Dasz
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

Another way of looking at this is not how to make a G2 sound like another synth, but how easy is it to make other synths sound like a G2?

I think the noodle section in the patch library shows just how difficult this would be.

Cheers

Andy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
My approach is to explore the instrument and let it show me the sounds, not try to create some preconceived sound. I want the instrument to always be a bit of a mystery to me. I like the process of discovery.

That's it!

When I first got my Nord Modular I didn't give a hoot about 'what it sounded like all I cared was that I was getting a fab modular synth at a fraction of the cost of an analogue device. Also, to the original NM list as Mosc points out, the Nord was a process of exploration, discovery and enlightenment (and still is for many).

I think all those people who spend hours debating whether it sounds like a Moog etc or not, have got too much time on their hands! Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: i love the sound of Nord

Here is someone that in truth can say he likes the sound of his G2. I do like to give modules and the sound a tweak here and there, but that's always part of the deal, I guess.

Presently I'm changing my speaker setup to old 50s tube radios fed by low range AM transmitters. Basically meaning the whole issue of 'the G2 sound' simply does not apply anymore (much too much change to ány sound). But there is no instrument here that can provide me with só much and varied sonic material to feed through these radios as the G2. Its no gimmick, I really want to recreate this tube radio sound from my childhood for the magic of its atmosphere, and there is no other way of doing it than 'going real'.

No matter whatever part of the perpetual dissatisfaction of the human race is projected on the G2, the G2 ís a marvellous and utterly creative toy! And so was its ancestor, the classic NM.

/Rob
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What kind of low-range AM transmitters are you using? Home brew?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tusker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's only recently that I have felt any emotional connection to the Nord. But it has started to happen. A thrill of joy, when a particularly nord-like expression yields itself as I twist a knob. A filter sweep that snarls in a distinctive way etc.

In conversations like these, I am reminded of some interviews I read with various synthesists in late 1970's and early 1980s:

How analog synths were all so dull and lacking in warmth relative to acoustic instruments. How analog synths sounded dull relative to the new digital (FM and sampling) instruments. How the analog synths just didn't cut through the mix due to their blunt attacks, etc.

I don't say this to sound superior to any of those people, because I have made my share of "glass is half empty" comments about synths also. I think this kind of comparison, is simply a sign that the synthesizer is a young instrument. It's like a teenager who does not know exactly what he will be when he grows up. "If I was as smart as John, I would be a scientist. If I was as strong a Jock, I'd join the wrestling team, etc."

But the synth is what it is, and if it is to find it's voice, it will find it in the hands of people who focus on what it is, and not what it is not. As I look at the marvellous possibilities in our synths today, I am realizing that the limits are more within ourselves. So I am excited to hear this conversation. And keen to get back to patching ...

Jerry
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Recently, I've been thinking about getting other synths (DSI evolver or Waldorf MicrowaveXT) because I've been wanting a different sound.

But I've decided to hold off, and instead focus on getting different sounds from the G2s (not neccessarily a different tonal characteristic).

I simply cannot justify getting another box without first digging deeper with what I already have.

/Dasz
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
What kind of low-range AM transmitters are you using? Home brew?

Yep, a very simple four transistor circuit using a crystal for stability. Found it on the net. I use a CA3046 transistor array for the transmitter part and an extra NE570 as a simple AGC.
At the moment I'm experimenting with a CMOS crystal oscillator and using CMOS PLL's to get four stable frequencies in the AM band (finally it will be a quadrophonic system using four radios), as I can easily get 1MHz crystals here, but real AM broadcast frequency crystals are very, very expensive to have made. The coils for the RF bandfiltering I can get by the hundreds for almost nothing. The guy in the local radio shop has a cupboard full of them that he really likes to get rid off. Wink

In The Netherlands it is not allowed to transmit on the AM band without a proper commercial licence, which costs millions. And it is not allowed to import AM transmitters that are in working state from the US, though I saw some nice ones on the net. Trying to import one here will surely mean I get visited by one of these new anti-terror agents wondering whether I want to make a ghetto blaster that really blasts, or something. So, I couple the RF signal with a small cap directly into the radio antenna input through shielded cable. Groundlifted, of course.

The sonic effect I am after is the bandfiltering in the MF circuitry plus the effect of the tubes plus the effect of the speaker in the housing. Plus the looks, the lighted dial plates, magick eye, etc. And I remember from long ago that one of the main charms of these old radios was that one really has the feel that the sound comes from far away, which sort of sounds right and makes up for any 'deficiencies' in the AM chain that make the sound deviate from HiFi. In contrast, FM radio over cable and through the HiFi installation is like one has e.g. the speaking politician right in the living room, which gives me the creeps sometimes. The old AM radio sound has instead a sort of feel like 'if all this happened to the sound it must come from very far'. Well, I guess you know what I mean. In fact, with only little imagination and without the need of certain substances it now not only has that 'far away in distance' feel, but it also feels like the sound has travelled some fifty years in time. Very Happy

Effects like drift, phasing and the infamous mexican dog can be easily emulated in the G2. That is so great about the G2; in a jiffy I can make the typical LW or SW effects in the MW band.

For recording I simply plan to put a mic in front of a radio cabinet and probably put a blanket over them. I guess when using like C414's and the RME recording system I can capture all the subtleties of the cabinet and the hum and noise from the radio tube circuitry. The radios are different brands but about equal in size. They sound quite different, but that is part of the charm.
Maybe I'll make quadro recordings and mix then to 5.1 and burn it on DVD. Cool

It is this idea of 'noodle radio' that has haunted me for years. One of the first patches I made on the classic NM was a patch named SW-radio, trying to emulate that old radio sound for the sort of patches that were then not yet named noodles. But very soon I realised I really should go for the real thing. Then this friend from Latvia tipped me about a piece of land for sale that just happened to have a fully functional SW radio station on it, abandoned by the Russians and the whole inventory thrown into the deal for virtually free. Now, that was tempting! But the projected electricity bill (and bribes) for getting it in the air made it a bit, well, unfeasable.

Jan Punter (BlueHell) has made an internet 'noodle radio' version, but internet lacks one of the things that I am personally after, that original tube radio sound. Cristian Vogel did this project where a NM was built into an old radio cabinet, but I don't know if the actual tube radio circuitry was used in his setup.

Well, recently I decided to just go for my private 'closed' system, maybe presenting it to the public as 'installation art' in like art galleries or so.

I guess the name 'noodle radio' was probably first coined up by Jan and right now it is his internet radio station that is named 'noodle radio'. So, as I have not thought of a proper name for my project I use 'noodle radio' as merely a reference for people to sort of get the idea of what I'm building.
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Recently, I've been thinking about getting other synths (DSI evolver or Waldorf MicrowaveXT) because I've been wanting a different sound.
/Dasz

The (mono) Evolver is a pretty nice complement to the G2. Not specifically because of the sound, but more because of its own special way it is operated/played. I like the Evolver as much as the G2, and next to a little sampler it is the G2's and the Evolver that are the only instruments I really use at the moment.

For my own personal taste I have to 'tilt filter' the Evolver much more extremely than the G2 to give it a nice, full bodied sound that does not destroy the hats or my hearing in the plus 10kHz region (where there is only 4000 precious Hertzes left for me).
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

For my own personal taste I have to 'tilt filter' the Evolver much more extremely than the G2 to give it a nice, full bodied sound that does not destroy the hats or my hearing in the plus 10kHz region (where there is only 4000 precious Hertzes left for me).

Interesting experiment; try to see wether you can tell a 12KHz saw from a 12KHz sine. Common dogma says you shouldn't be able to....

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

Interesting experiment; try to see wether you can tell a 12KHz saw from a 12KHz sine. Common dogma says you shouldn't be able to....

Depressing test. They sound identical to me, inaudible :¬(
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Kassen"]
Rob wrote:

For me on the G2 a 12.55kHz sine and saw sound different, the sine is louder, apart from that I cannot hear any difference.

Cheers

Andy
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, sorry to be contrarian here, but I don't "love" the sound of Nord. I've been finding my way with analog gear.

I'm a performer of the "old-fashioned guild", meaning: more into playing the keyboard than fiddling the knobs and buttons (although I like to do that too). Human keyboard performance by its very nature just has a slight 'slop', an imperfection, to it -even on the highest possible level. I've just found, over the years, that the imperfection and slop of analog circuits just compliments this better. I feel more comfortable playing an analog synth -it's a physical reaction.

"Well, just patch that slop on the G2." is the obvious reply. And I tried. Tried hard. I don't think I'm puristically biased or self-deluded (as people who claim to hear a huge difference between A and D often are accused of). On the contrary, I spent considerable time studying and emulating the characteristics of analog circuits on the G2, for which Robs numerously and generously shared insights were tremendously helpful. (Thank you again, Rob!) I learned a great deal, and that's why I love the G2: I learn so much on it! But, ironically, the more I learned, the more I heard the difference. It's a classic example of "The more you look, the more you see." Or perhaps in this case: "The more you hear, the more you don't hear." Laughing

So, nowadays the G2 is used differently in my rig: as a super-convenient, chameleon-like, problem-solving swiss army knife for audio and performance: FX processor, controller, sequencer, whatever... And as a great tool for study and learning. It's unbeatable for that. And I love it for that.
Page 1 of 4 [76 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: