electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Robert Fripp Soundscapes Live @WXPN World Cafe Live 06/17/05
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Robert Fripp Soundscapes Live @WXPN World Cafe Live 06/17/05 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well we were about ten minutes late
show started 10:30
Our seats were great .(last table audience stage right.)
Mr.Fripp was playing when we entered. Quietly! The ushers were putting their index fingers up to their lips to us as we entered. sheesh !
He played until about 11 and then took questions.His answers were amusing.
After Q&A he started a loop and walked to the soundboard and to the left side of the space to listen.
Afterabout ten minutes or so, he went back on stage to play along .
The whole perfomance was just over an hour.
Immediatley after he left the stage we went outside to try for an autograph. While waiting we ran into Chuck Van Zyle and amused him with my cracklebox .
Fripp must have left from another exit or hung around later than we had the patience for.
I was dissappointed at the short lenght of the performance more than the content. I think, the whole thing was kind of phoney.
He could have played more and took more questions.
I give it a 5 out of 10
mtvic NOT Cool
Ponk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I've read, getting an autograph from Fripp is next to impossible. He likes to have his privacy.
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ponk wrote:
From what I've read, getting an autograph from Fripp is next to impossible. He likes to have his privacy.

I'd still love to see him, and you don't get many other performers who take the time to answer questions after a show.

Ponk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to see him as well. Actually, I did see King Crimson a couple of years ago. The concert started with Fripp's soundscapes which were amazing.
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Q and A was part of the show.
Thats what was dissapointing.
IMHO.It would have been more entertaining if he played more and
left the Q and A for after the show
It is not very often that the Vicar does solo tours, and more music would have been more fulfilling.
7/4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ponk wrote:

Urban myth.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
7/4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MzDe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me three!

We won't go into the reasons why people called me "Ivan" back then, though Wink Razz Laughing

And later that night, I got to dance with the man Wink but then, he danced with *all* the girls that night Very Happy

MzDe

7/4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! Razz
Ponk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Urban myth, indeed. Very Happy Very Happy

7/4 wrote:

But why destroy such a fine album cover with writing?! Razz
amiller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Usually a Fripp soundscape set consists of two 20-30 minute music sets, with another 20 minutes of Q & A. Sorry I couldn't have advised you sooner. These tours are rare in the US and are worth it. If you follow Fripp through his website at www.disciplineglobalmobile.com he is very clear on what one should expect at such a show. He also frequently comments on promoters misrepresenting his soundscape performances as something they are not.

I didn't make this last show at the World Cafe, but I did attend 5 or 6 years ago or so at The Painted Bride Arts Center also in Philadelphia. This show seemed a little more expensive and I could not afford it this month...budget is tight. But certainly, Fripp is at a point, professionally and musically, where the performance justifies the ticket cost.

Finally...one has to expect soundscapes, and not 70s Frippertonics, or any Crimson music....I guess even better...one just needs to be very openminded, and ready to accept different music. This is not to say you didn't, but these are just some general suggestions about a Fripp soundscape show...

later...Andrew
solyaris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my thoughts (not completely enthusiasts) about recent Robert music
here:
http://207.234.140.108/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001463
and here:
http://207.234.140.108/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001463

giorgio

jkn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note - Solyaris' links go to the Hypnos forum in case you're wondering what you're clicking on...

It'd be fun to see Fripp do the soundscape thing. Totally unrelated - but I caught him with Bowie and Adrian Belew back in about '90 on Bowie's "ok - I'll do my old hits again" tour. Just an amazing show all around.
Lotus Spray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Robert Fripp Soundscape Downloads Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those of you who wish to experience Robert Fripp's current Soundscape work are invited to mosey on over to http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm
where a selection of recent Soundscape performances are available for download in both FLAC and MP3 formats at modest prices.

(The site also includes many archival King Crimson performances as well if that's your pleasure.)

I've read some of the posted reviews and commentary about Robert Fripp's recent SS work, and while I deny no one their opinion, if you are seriously exploring the possibilities of electronic music, I think you must at some point encounter this work.

Did you know, Putnam, more people are murdered at ninety two degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once - lower temperatures people are easy-going, over ninety two it's too hot to move but just ninety two, people get irritable.

Sheriff Matt Warren to John Putnam,
It Came from Outer Space (1953)
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Reviews, Reports and Interviews
Jump to: