electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Atari Punk Pots
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 5 [105 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
monokinetic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Atari Punk Pots
Subject description: clarifying the picture at aarons
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,
well i have been lurking for a few months after discovering the circuit bending and diy synth forums. Im a noise enthusiast, I write something akin to music and also create some small noisey sculptures..... so Im glad to find such a valuable resource on the web Smile

Currently I am trying to use the Atari Punk Console stripboard design at:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album20/ATARI_PUNK_CONSOLE_VERO?full=1

But I am getting really erratic behaviour. I have been over the board with a fine tooth comb looking for solder shorts and dry joints, all seems to be ok.

I suspect I have done something strange with the pots, on the stripboard layout 2 tabs of the pot are joined together and then the other remains independent. My problem is that I have tried both configurations and still get just radio type noise!

How do I tell which tab on the schematic matches which tab on the pot?

TIA for any help

Dave mK
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can say I've used that layout with success. I made one for a friend and it works fine. Did you notice that both pots get connected to +9v too?
And all those cuts and jumpers UNDER the chip. Just checking

chutneyfarmer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i tried building one of these last night too and got the same results. just a buzzing sound. checked it over and all seems to be right. dunno what the problem is at all
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wiring the pots one way or the other will only change the direction of turning. (does that make sense?)
Did you put the electrolytic cap in the right way round?

chutneyfarmer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yup. i even tried it both ways just in case. still no sound coming out of it, unless i short the circuit using my fingers. even then, only one of the oscillators seems to be working. weird!!!
microscope

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm about to start building this (I might have to reconsider sonce no one seems to have gotten it to work) but I don't understand how the wires from the pots and the 9 volt all intersect. Can anyone explain to me how to do that? Thanks.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I can't help more. I'm still a paint by numbers kinda guy, but I can tell you I used that layout and it DOES work. Here's a quick sketch how I think I wired it. Sorry I'm at work it's busy and I only had a dull sharpy.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

You gotta really keep and eye on those trace cuts (red dots) and the jumpers under the I.C.

hope it helps
I'm about to make another for myself. Maybe I'll jump on it sooner and draw a little diagram.

chutneyfarmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got mine working, and sure enough i did the typical noob thing and had missed out a jumper Embarassed

has anyone thought up any ways to spice up this circuit and make it a little more noisy and chaotic???? i have a nice function generator circuit built from a kit which has switchable waveshapes. how could i incorporate this into the APC circuit?

here's a pdf file for the circuit i'm talking about...

http://www.velleman.be/Downloads/0/Manual_MK105.pdf

i've replaced the pitch resistor with a pot so i can vary the frequency.

thanks for all the help, and apologies for any dumb questions i might ask Smile

gary
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to hear you got it working. I don't think it's always a "a noob thing". I put my IC socket on before I made the jumpers under it. That was a pain. Hopefully everyone else will get it going. How bout the ole touch pads a la circuit bend for some extra randomness.
chutneyfarmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm was thinking of hooking up a white noise circuit to it. would it be possible to wire one up in series with one of the pots???
fldrvr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there, I was wondering.... why is the wiper on each pot connected straight to the out? Being a novice, that doesn't quite seem right to me... how does that setup affect the sound/ what functionality does it lend to the project?

Thanks for Idea picking you brain...
bebn_benb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i made the atari punk console out of two 555s instead of a 556 as i only had 5s lying around. if any one wants it, i can stick up a strip board layout on here....
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that would be commendable!! Very Happy
microscope

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Wild Zebra,

So you only used two of the three lugs on each pot? The stripboard layout I'm looking at uses all three.

Thanks
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No I just was showing the 9V connections to the pots. I didn't show the connections to the board. Thats what the other lugs are. Did you ever get it working? I sent you an Identical p.m. also
bebn_benb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here it is with 2 555 chips. i copied it from by breadboard, so i hope it works. if anyone wanted to breadboard it up themselves and test it, that would be cool. sorry its a bit messy, its the first time i've done a stripboard layout like this...

apc555.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.47 KB
 Viewed:  961 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

apc555.gif

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here I am trying to give advice and now I built one and it doesn't work Embarassed I made one for a friend and it worked great. Here what mine does. It appears to work, its just very, very low volume almost inaudible unless cranked. Heres the thing though if I turn the pot on the right (of the 556 stripboard layout) I can dial it in to a spot were it comes in loud an clear, but its just a tiny area and heres the kicker when I hit that spot the pot sparks not alot but right when I hit that spot. Any ideas? I hope the sparking is a givaway. I've done all the basics, solder bridges, parts, jumpers, traces, etc.

Thanks

bigtex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like you need to replace the pot. I had a pot short out on me once, and it sparked and CAUGHT ON FIRE and made the worst smelling smoke ever. So there's probably a scratch on the resistive material or something. If you replace it you should be good. I hope.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeh, I thought that too and tried another. Still did the same thing. I think I have one more I can try. I just gave it a rest for a few days.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it happens twice, that means there's a voltage between the wiper and one end which is big enough to turn your pot into a variable fuse! Laughing
As you get closer to that end the current increases untill the small amount of trace which is left can't deal with it any longer, and burns.
There must be a fault in the wiring somewhere.

bigtex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed. Check all of your wiring. Check for bridges and make sure the electrolytic cap is in the right way. Make sure your jumpers are all in the right place. Maybe re-heat your solder joints. Something is definitely pulling too much current through that potentiometer.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bebn_benb,
I just noticed an error on your 555*2 stripboard. I haven't checked the working of the circuit yet, but there's a cut between the two chips which doesn't make sense. The component leads on either side can't connect to anywhere else except each other, so I assume the cut is a mistake.

somasix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Atari Punk Console Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I too built the Atari Punk Console to whip myself back into shape after a summer of not building anything at all. It works, but judging by the overall reaction from this board and DIYstompboxes, not quite perfectly.

The pots seem to have multiple dead spots in them. It will be goin' along, buzzing just fine, then a little to the left or right and nothing, no sound, just drops right out. Am I wrong to assume this thing should be pumping out noises throughout the throw of BOTH pots?

So far I haven't put any ON/OFF switch on it yet, but when I plug it in, it usually doesn't start right up. I have to tap the 556 chip to get it to start. That's also the way I solve any drop outs, just massaging that chip. That usually works.

Other than that, no problem. I'm a little dyslexic, so I have a tendency to build Vero (used dragonfly's layout) backward. This is usually not a problem with transistors because everything is uniformly backwards, but with IC chips

1 9
2 10
3 11
4 12
5 13
6 14
7 15
8 16

becomes

9 1
10 2
11 3
12 4
13 5
14 6
15 7
16 8

Therefore, I had to attach the 556 chip to the copper side of the board. This is something I really have to figure out how to get over. I've done it on every project. It's gonna be hell to debug the WSG if I do it on that one. Could this be the problem?
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I can't help as I have had troubles too. But, I made one for a friend and I was at his house this weekend and he had a bunch of random stuff hooked up including the APC I built him and both pots work full range and work well. It really kinda cheesed me off that I still haven't got mine to work. Cause it sounded real good cranked up super loud. Well at least his works well!
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't ask me how, but I finally got this thing to work. I was suspecting a bad or missed solder joint on my chopped up frankensocket. So, I put a new one in and somehow managed to do so without the use of any solderbraid. What a pain and mess. Still had some trouble, then I hit a few (solder) joints and BAM. What a relief. I still get a very tiny amount of sparking near the beginning range of the pot. Could this be due to using a 500K instead of a 470K? Will this eventually kill the pot?
Well I'm sure glad its working. I hate giving up on a project. I have a few RIP's out there. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 5 [105 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: