electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
nescivi diy sampler (ISD1416) questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: nescivi diy sampler (ISD1416) questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there, I was thinking of putting this together and I have a few questions. First, just say I have my synth or guitar plugged into input and I sample and it loops. Will I still here my signal? ie. Loop a guitar and play over said loop. And for the loop/ no loop mod. I would use a spdt and come out of pin 4 then 100k resistor to middle lug of switch and then one lug to Vcc and the other lug to ground? That make sense? Oh heres a link to schemo sampler
thanks and thanks dnny for the chip -still gotta get those ds7's together Very Happy

Last edited by Wild Zebra on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check my electronics page for some further ISD1416 stuff - this also links on to the Mobius Trip at General Guitar Gadgets

No, you won't hear sound through the ISD chip while its looping.. You'll need the extra circuitry for that.

You can see on my schematic (just about - there's a lot of info on there..) that to have toggle loop on/off you tie pin 4 to ground through a 100k resistor and then have a SPDT switch that connects it instead to +5v.

I've always found problems with implementing this chip - you invariably get some nasty pops/clicks when you start/stop playback if you just take the audio signal as shown in your schematic... Again, see the Mobius Trip / BugLooper for more info on that stuff..

zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can´t really give any tips. I´ve read a lot on this, and it seems like that those isd chips aren´t ideal (like you said). Is there any alternative?
I would like to build something like a loopstation.
Also a sample module for the synth would be cool. Maybe just for one shot triggered playback. A comparator could detect an incoming signal to automatically start recording (when told to do so). Would be cool to include lofi samples in a analog drumbox.
But i´ve read that those anwering machine chips won´t start recording emideatly, so you always have a short delay befor the sample starts.
Also looped playback with pitch cv (clockspeed) is cool.
I´ve read the book soundsampler by dieter doepfer. Now that´s really oldschool and quite a big project. There propably are easier solutions that have come up in the last two decades, but i don´t know about them...

nescivi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great to see that people look at and use the stuff on my website!

what I usually do is plug things together through a mixer, feeding the sampler with a signal from one of the auxes.
That way you have control over hearing the input from your guitar still, and have control over the volume of the playback.

The ISD's do have to pop's and clicks when starting them, but I see that as a feature Wink
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks nescivi, but is there no way we can prevent this? (popping) On the data sheet schem of how to set up the chip for recording there is a cap going from the record pin to vcc. Whats the purpose? Is it some sort of pull down? Bugbrand did the mobious front end stop the pop? I'm still a jerk when it comes to combining circuits maybe if you could give me a few pointers I'm sure I could combine the two and learn something in the process.
SuperKoopa

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi! i have a question:
while it is in playback mode what happens if i push the playe or the playl button?
this resets the playback?
i.e. if i record a crash sound of 5 sec. and i push the playe button,what happens if i push playe after 3 sec?
thanks.
nescivi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PLAYE stands for play - edge, which means the chip starts playing, when the voltage jumps to 0 for a short while.

PLAYL stands for play - level, which means the chip plays as long as you push that button.
If the chip is already playing PLAYL is the stop button.

Other info can be found in the data sheet of the chip, this data sheet is fairly readable, so don't be scared!

it can be easily found with the keywords "ISD1416" and "datasheet" in Google.
SuperKoopa

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm not scared, i just want to not waste my money Very Happy

i'm trying to built a quad version of this sampler for a percussion synth so i want to know if i can record a snare sound and then trigger fast the sampler to make a drum roll.
do you know if there is some delay in playback?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: