electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
[Help!!]My soundlab has finished, but....
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
yunus510

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: [Help!!]My soundlab has finished, but.... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

today i have finished build my soundlab. it's work but i heard noise that make the sound output didn't hear perfectly.

in case, i use dual power supply that the voltage i measured are +12 Volt, -14.5Volt, 0 Volt. are these voltage that make my soundlab didn't hear perfectly??

plz..help me..cuz i use this for my final paper in my study.
yunus510

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does anyone can help me??

plz..
bigtex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. What about it doesn't sound right? Could you describe this noise in more detail?

Also, you should try to get your bipolar supply's voltages as close as possible. See if you can actually get +/-12V. Having one side offset slightly could cause problems, but I'm not sure.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm more than happy to help troubleshoot the problem with you, but I agree with Tex, I'd need a bit more detail about what is wrong.
Have you got both Oscillators working?
Do you have Noise?
Is the LFO working?
etc.

yunus510

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

both of oscillator are work fine, LFO too. but i still hear the noise. the sound i heard is not clean as sound as the other have.

ok maybe in other time i will post the sound sample of my soundlab..
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check that the Noise Level pot in the mixer section is wired correctly. Also, it's probably a good idea to use shielded wire for the noise pot. (ie; from the PCB to the pot (pin3?) and back to the VCF section of the PCB) the shield should be connected to GND (0V)
I expanded mine to contain a S&H, so I had to run another feed from the noise generator up to a switch on the front panel and back to the new board. I've noticed the noise level has gone up quite a bit. So I'm planning on replacing those wires with shielded versions too.
Projects like the SoundLab are never completely finished. There are always ways of improving them. The noise levels, crosstalk and LFO bleed through are all things which I like about the SoundLab though. They give it a certain character and lo-fi charm which you just can't get out of a softsynth.

yunus510

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok this time i post the sound sample of my soundlab.

the first sound record using soundlab, amplify with prince adder M 835, yamaha soundcard, adobe audition 2.0
http://www.free-hoster.cc/users/yunus510/Amplified%20use%20Prince%20Adder%20Pro%20M%20835.mp3

the second i use soundlab with no amplify, direct record using adobe audition 2.0.
http://www.free-hoster.cc/users/yunus510/Direct%20Record%20Using%20Adobe%20Audition.mp3
yunus510

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in my case,

i build the original soundlab without give any patches in it. are the fine tunes for the oscillator could give it more better?
bigtex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yunus510 wrote:
ok this time i post the sound sample of my soundlab.

the first sound record using soundlab, amplify with prince adder M 835, yamaha soundcard, adobe audition 2.0
http://www.free-hoster.cc/users/yunus510/Amplified%20use%20Prince%20Adder%20Pro%20M%20835.mp3

the second i use soundlab with no amplify, direct record using adobe audition 2.0.
http://www.free-hoster.cc/users/yunus510/Direct%20Record%20Using%20Adobe%20Audition.mp3

Looks like that host doesn't allow links from external sites. Just so others know, you can still hear those clips, just copy the URL and paste it into your browser, rather than clicking on the link.

In the first sample, there is a constant noise. I'm assuming that is what you are complaining about. I still haven't built my Sound Lab, so I can't know for sure what might be causing that. The background noise has a tonal component at about 430 Hz. Perhaps you have the LFO modulating the noise amplitude at about 430 Hz? Just a guess.

In the second sound sample, are we listening to just the background noise with nothing else? Not much happens in that sample except at the very end. It's hard to tell what is happeneing there.

OK, I just checked Ray Wilson's page, and the noise can't be modulated, so perhaps you just have one of the oscillators at about 430 Hz and the noise turned up. Does the volume of the noise change if you turn the noise potentiometer?
yunus510

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Does the volume of the noise change if you turn the noise potentiometer?

no..the noise pot doesn't give any differences for the output sound.

and the other problem, the sound i record, i use the output from oscillator 2 output. if i use the real output, i just heard the noise same as the sound sample without giving the soundlab sound..
bigtex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds like you need to double and triple check your assembly work. Go through all of the components, one by one. Check all of your solder joints. Make sure all of your wires go where they're supposed to.

If the OSC2 output give the sound for all parts of the synth, something is definitely connected wrong. Especially if you get the audio there, but not at the main output.

You've done a good job in isolating the problem, but it would be difficult for me to tell you much more about it without having it in front of me. I think you need to first make sure you've assembled it correctly.
yunus510

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok..i see, now i try to recheck my work..i'll post the result as soon as possible.

for now i did't change my supply unit yet. how if i make it in right value for the supply?
bigtex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, do all of that. Check your work and try to adjust your supply. I believe anything from 9 to 15 volts will do, but try to have the + and - rails be of the same magnitude.

For example:
+12 and -12
or
+14.5 and -14.5

but not
+12 and -14.5
yunus510

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've done it sir. as ur suggest to rewire/resolder the cable in front panel. now my soundlab has clean sound as well as u get..

thank u very much...

as info, i didn't change my power supply unit for this.
bigtex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your Sound Lab. It's even better, knowing you built it yourself and fixed problems yourself, too Very Happy

It is also interesting to hear that it works just fine with uneven power supply rails.
yunus510

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is the sound

Code:
http://www.geocities.com/yunus510/MyFirstSongUseSoundLab-Bread-If.mp3
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds great Yunus,
Well done!

bigtex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

You know, you can upload files to this forum and then you won't have to worry about hosting it yourself like this.

Also, it's good to see you finally got yours working. Congratulations! I can't wait to hear it.
yunus510

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry sir, i dunno about this feature..
i'll try

check this attached file

MyFirstSongUseSoundLab-Bread-If.mp3
 Description:
song using soundlab..

Download
 Filename:  MyFirstSongUseSoundLab-Bread-If.mp3
 Filesize:  2.17 MB
 Downloaded:  1406 Time(s)

bigtex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. Definitely sounds like it is working Very Happy
yunus510

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dear friend...

as the explanation about soundlab, i know that we can get wah sound in the VCF. but in my SL, i can get it after i power on my SL as about 5 minutes later. power on SL, wait till 5 minutes n i get it.

is this wrong or right?
bigtex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That does not sound right. Perhaps there is a capacitor that is slowly charging before the VCF circuit can start working? That's the only thing I can think of that might cause a delay like that.

I don't really know, though, because I have not yet built a Sound Lab...
yunus510

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i tried to rewire again..and everything work perfectly..

now i'll try to make singlebus keyboard controller..

Very HappyVery Happy
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Bigtex. That sounds like the effect you get when an electrolytic capacitor is connected the wrong way. Still, it's great to hear that it's working fine now.
yunus510

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does anyone have an idea to make pitch bend control for soundlab keyboard, like the other keyboard does?

btw can the singlebus keyboard play some note, i mean playing chord..??
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: