electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
PSU suggestions for MFOS modules
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
numbernone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: PSU suggestions for MFOS modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a very busy weekend 10 of 12 MFOS boards are complete, maybe 2 more weeks for making panels and finishing the wiring, I am hoping in the mean time to figure how to power the thing. I was considering using a blacet supply and distribution boards, but then why suck up the extra power if the MFOS can work at 12v?? Any suggestions for a nice PSU and distribution system?
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howsabout Ray's own psu?

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/powersupply.html

...make your own distribution scheme...?

I am working on my own 15V psu using adjustable regs 317/337's, so that could be adapted for 12V as well. I'm not as fast a builder as you though, but eventually I'll do a schem and a pcb layout for it.
Will post here when I do.

C
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what about a power one PSU? Mouser Nr. "597-AA15-0.8". you can decide to use either +/-12 or +/-15V. it will power approx. 15 modules, i think.
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=597-AA15-0.8

you can easily build your own distribution board by yourself using a strip board - everything is just in parallel...

cheers,
matthias
numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gotta love Mouser... I got a back order delivery from them yesterday...

2 RESISTORS!!!!

and today I will get...2 TRIMMERS!!!

over 8 bucks in UPS shipping for free...they are the best!!
Coriolis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I actually thought those Power One's cost more. But then, there are several different models. Lotsa people seem to prefer these over homemade supplies, but at 40-50, even 100$, what have they got that I can't DIY a lot cheaper? Are they that much more stable and well regulated? Seems hard to believe for the price...

I'm just wondering out loud here.

C
numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this is my first serious DIY project, and i am going to opt for a prefab PSU. I dont mind paying the extra $$ at all and I want to know from the moment go that the PSU is functioning as it is meant to. I think it will make the troublshooting process all that much easier to eliminate the PSU. For the next rack of CGS maybe I will try my own. I guess I shouldnt be such a wimp about mains power as I rewire lamps and other gizmos constantly at my job but for all my precious hours of work I want confidence in the supply.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I can understand people who wan't to concentrate on building actual modules - I'm just wondering what's inside a psu that sells for 50$, and if it's really so much better than anything I can build as cheap, or cheaper.
Is it just a regular linear psu, or is it smps? Does it use special regulators, expensive caps/diodes/doodads or somesuch?

C
numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reckon it just comes down to paying for someone to provide a service. Look how much a Serge panel costs, or even a MOTM KIT. A bloody ton of moolah, and they are populated with the same stuff we are sticking in our DIY projects ( I think). Tho I am not using any pricey Bourns pots or the like. While we are on the subject of costs and such... WHO THE HELL CAN AFFORD TO USE FRONT PANEL EXPRESS. By god they are expensive!!! Like $250 bucks for a soundlab panel...you gotta be kidding!!!! Thats why I made my panel from a piece of masonite out of a dumpster, with handpainted face. It sure dont look like a Moog, but it definitely looks like MINE!!!

Cheers to all.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It sure dont look like a Moog, but it definitely looks like MINE

What do you see when you turn out the light? Very Happy

I normally don't build power supplies for the simple fact that lethal voltage/current makes me skittery. I'll build from a kit, but that's as far as it goes.

Cheers,
Scott
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i did alot of research before i built my power supply, there's not much to it really [well, there is and there isn't, that is]. a good schematic for one is thomas henry's "platinum power supply" which apparently was published in a Nuts & Volts. there is some good reading material on rectification and ripple and whatnot at jim patchell's site. i got a book with all them useful formulas in it too.

i basically salvaged all the parts i used, so i built it for very little, but even buying all parts new it wouldnt have cost more than 15$ orso.

i made a PCB layout for it if anyones interested. one version has +/- whatever plus a +5 or whatevr, the other one is just a bipolar.

josh
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
a good schematic for one is thomas henry's "platinum power supply"

That's the power supply I'm using - bought it as a kit from MAP. I suppose I should qualify my statement as to not building one - I don't make PCB's, and I'm not terribly gung-ho about making one on perf or stripboard. I'll certainly build one on PCB if I've got one.

A power supply is something I'd just as soon purchase as build - no way I'm going to mod one, and that's the whole fun of building for me Very Happy

I did make my own distribution board, though, out of perf with a breadboard type layout.

Here's a pic of the power supply and the distribution board. The power supply is housed in a chassis for a communications service monitor power supply they were giving away at my work place.

Cheers,
Scott

ks01_PS.JPG
 Description:
KS-01 Power Supply and Distribution Board
 Filesize:  33.97 KB
 Viewed:  360 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ks01_PS.JPG

fonik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
WHO THE HELL CAN AFFORD TO USE FRONT PANEL EXPRESS. By god they are expensive!!! Like $250 bucks for a soundlab panel...you gotta be kidding!!!!

i can afford this, and i love the panels! i let them made my SL front panel and it cost about 70 EURO's (about 100$). http://modular.fonik.de/soundlab/soundlab.fpd
the average price for my eurorack modular panels is about 23 EURO's (about 30$) and it's worth it.
there're some ways to reduce the price:
(1) colored engraving is expensive so i chose black anodized panels. then there's no need to color the engraving...
(2) all kind of graphics is expensive. it's much cheaper to import hpgl graphics for this kind of stuff (dials etc.)...
(3) you pay for every item, so reduce the count of items by using ONE text object with multiple lines for text in columns....

you may take a look on some examples:
http://modular.fonik.de/fpd/MFOS_12dbvcf.fpd
http://www.modular.fonik.de

cheers,
matthias
numbernone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... not a bad price. So yours was the waterproof one??? Hands down the nicest SL I have seen. Perhaps I will redo some of my layouts and see what the price comes too.
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm right with you, Scott and numbernone, I'm a first timer on the PSU so I'm following this thread. I don't wanna make one the first time, maybe a kit. What about these http://www.paia.com/fracrak.htm I thought about ordering the +/- 12 for starters and maybe even a fracrack. I have five modules about to be finished!!
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey zebra

those regulated paia PSUs ain't too fantastic looking as a kit at 300/200 mA.. plus they are half-wave rectified it looks like. in my opinion if your going to spend 35$ plus on one, getcha a good one at at least 1A to power all your current plans plus future ones.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

designing and building a power supply is not that hard... designing and building a really good supply (stable, clean, low-ripple) is an art form. a noisy supply will sabotage all the care and expense you put into the modules themselves, this is one place where i don't skimp. had fantastic luck w/ power one supplies, they're pretty easy to find surplus or on ebay; even retail they're a good deal. if you open up a serge power supply, guess what you'll find....

bbob
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I normally don't build power supplies for the simple fact that lethal voltage/current makes me skittery. I'll build from a kit, but that's as far as it goes.

yeah always super careful when working around exposed mains, never do it while drinkin', don't be a path to return, etc etc.

recently i did a repair on my oscilloscope's CRT grid-bias circuitry [1800V].. i did not discharge the HV caps first and i can tell you it was the most aware of what i was doing i have been in a while... eeeeeeeeeeeehehehehhhhhhhhh
fonik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
if you open up a serge power supply, guess what you'll find....

Quote:
in my opinion if your going to spend 35$ plus on one, getcha a good one at at least 1A to power all your current plans plus future ones

it's more fun to me to build an module that sounds or changes the sound, something to play with... and 35$ or more for a kit? than power one PSUs are a good deal, i think.

cheers,
matthias
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks for the info on the paia stuff. I reckon I might order the Mouser one above unless anyone has any other suggestions? I'll look on ebay as well. I reread the post any good places to find them surplus?
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The thing which costs the most in a DIY PSU is the transformer itself. A nice 18-0-18 @ 4A torroidal like the one I'm putting in the Sorcerer will set you back about AU$50, unless you're lucky enough to find something similar on chuck out day. Next would be the caps, the main electrolytic ripple filters, 2 of those will add another AU$10.
The main points to remember are; -
1. Work from a trusted schematic unless you know the maths behind it.
2. All exposed metal work must be earthed.
3. No drugs or alchohol until it's tested.
4. Build it as if it's a bomb! Laughing (ie very carefully)

I'll spare you all the stories of the 5 times I've bitten by the 240V AC power python. Shocked Let's just say it's an experience everyone can do without! Sad

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about the PS5000 from Blacet:

Quote:
This is a custom designed non-wall-wart type supply in an aluminum case. It features 6 built-in module connectors and a switchable 120/220/240VAC input for overseas operation. Very conservatively rated, it can supply +15V@500 mA and -15V@ 500 mA. Audiophile Grade!
The PS500 is predrilled to mount on the back of the Frac Rack or in a separate location such as the bottom of your SKB box or other rack mount container.

Add the PSCONN board and connecting cable below to connect more modules.

Fully compatible with MOTM systems also.

Assembled and tested.
$89 ($4)
Comes with US power cord. For foreign orders, no cord is provided. Use a standard IEC type available at your local electronic store.

http://blacet.com/misc.html

I hung this on the back of my Frac-Rack but can be adapted for most anything.

Bill

blacet__ps500.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.95 KB
 Viewed:  10562 Time(s)

blacet__ps500.JPG

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

I'll spare you all the stories of the 5 times I've bitten by the 240V AC power python. Shocked Let's just say it's an experience everyone can do without! Sad

Not meant to discomfort, and it's certainly less lethal than 240 V, but I can assure you that with 36 Volts at 4A one can have some really nice fireworks as well Very Happy

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, very true.
I forgot to say that I haven't had any "incidents" with electrocution since my early 20s. I just have way too much respect for it these days to even come close. Also, the older you get the higher the chance that your heart would spit the dummy.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Also, the older you get the higher the chance that your heart would spit the dummy.

LMAO !!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy That is some classic line there! I love these international forums ! So much to learn!

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: