electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Custom Prototype Cases
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Custom Prototype Cases
Subject description: Looks interesting !!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks like a couple of good sites for DIY !!

http://www.emachineshop.com/indexx.htm

http://www.protocase.com/www/designer/

Bill
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emachineshop is mindblowing. i've used their software before and gotten quotes, but never ordered anything.

this is like "if you can draw it, it will come"...you can "invent" in your basement (or kitchen) without a machineshop, if you need to design a special bracket, you can draw it. not cheap for one off things, but it is an amazing service/product.

deknow
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow:

Quote:
this is like "if you can draw it, it will come"...you can "invent" in your basement (or kitchen) without a machineshop, if you need to design a special bracket, you can draw it. not cheap for one off things, but it is an amazing service/product.

Yes, "desktop" engineering or manufacturing for sure! I agree with you my friend! These services are really great for the inventer!

Bill
deknow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....and probably pretty good for someone who wants the ultimate in custom stainless steel knobs for their modular Smile
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
....and probably pretty good for someone who wants the ultimate in custom stainless steel knobs for their modular Smile

And ... if there lots of them (I REALLY like lots of knobs ..), keep the weight down and use titanium ... Very Happy

This gets me wondering, are there any services that will mill and grind plastics in low quantities? Hmmm, I wonder if e-machine shop will do plastics? For example, knobs and other custom controls and assemblies? Just a thought. Looks like a bit of searching is my next move.

Bill
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just played around a little with the emachine software. they obviously mill aluminium and bakelit, but: i designed a VERY simple alu knob, 13.5mm x 12.5mm, 6mm shaft and guess what? 730US$ for 100 pieces...
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
just played around a little with the emachine software. they obviously mill aluminium and bakelit, but: i designed a VERY simple alu knob, 13.5mm x 12.5mm, 6mm shaft and guess what? 730US$ for 100 pieces...

YIKES !! Well, thats plain greedy! The bottom line is that what ever you design with this, it has to be a REALLY unique assembly and not available anywhere! I will stick to surplus or "Mouser" or one of those distributers for the basics.

You know, this brings to mind another thing. I got the new "Front Panel Express" software along with an announcement that the prices have gone up. Hmmm, I wonder just how much since I have to do a "largish" panel for my modulator.

Thanks,
Bill
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I got the new "Front Panel Express" software along with an announcement that the prices have gone up. Hmmm, I wonder just how much since I have to do a "largish" panel for my modulator.

version 3.4, i guess? don't worry. i designed a lot of frontpanels in the last months and i actually didn't realise an increase at all. it's only for the risen aluminium prices on the market not for the service, i think.
and there're some ways to reduce the price:
(1) colored engraving is expensive so i chose black anodized panels. then there's no need to color the engraving...
(2) all kind of graphics is expensive. it's much cheaper to import hpgl graphics for this kind of stuff (dials etc.)...
(3) you pay for every item, so reduce the count of items by using ONE text object with multiple lines for text in columns....
you might have read this before, but people often complain about the expensive schaeffer panels and they draw graphics and graphics on'em. schaeffer implemented the import hpgl option for a reason!

cheers,
matthias
deknow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...don't panic about the price. a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. 100 pieces is a very small number to make a custom anything

2. a good understanding of manufacturing is important when designing these things...oftentimes tolerances are spec'd too tight, which brings the price up considerably. my recolection is that the emachineshop software has a "cut the cost" button or something that will help with this. also, things can be often be designed with manufacture in mind..you have to be pretty familiar with the processes used, and design for easy manufacture (remember, that if you took a drawing to a fabrication shop, there would likely be a back and forth about some of the details).

deknow
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, there is typically an NRE (Non Recurring Engineering) charge, or a setup fee (the time it takes for them to load up the right router bits, upload your program, etc). Whether you are doing 1 or 100 parts, you have to pay the setup fee. This is also true regardless of size: loading 5 different router or drill bits is that same whether the box is small or large.
E-PM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:  Custom Prototype Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems a good idea to go ahed with custom prototype enclosures. but it is expensive, but again for 1 off cases, prototype, its simpy amazing. Lots of info in www.protocase.com and more over a recent review from www.boxgods.com seems awesome.

it is from idead to enclosures. wow. great great
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent advice guys ..... I usually "cut and paste" all the good information I get from the forum and put in in my relevant project folders ...

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: