electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Soundlab Testing
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
crashlander42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Soundlab Testing
Subject description: Making sure my soundlab makes sound.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hate to start out with a stupid question. I just finished my soundlab board, and plan to wire the panel tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get sound out of it when I'm done. I read elsewhere in the forum that I can crank the mixers and hear audio from it, but it there a way to get a continuous signal from it without building a cv controller? I've salvaged the keyboard off an old piano and plan to build the single bus CV keyboard eventually. I've read a great deal of Ray Wilson's impressive site, but I seem to be missing (and I can miss things right in front of my face) this one little snippet of information.

Also, I just etched the board for the "one chip sample and hold", and plan to add that to my soundlab as well. If I wire the trigger output will it still function without CV input?

I've also made some substitutions that I'm unsure about.
I lost my 220k 1/4w resistors so I used 1/2w resistors.
I used 5% resistors for R60 & R61.
I can't find LM13700's so I'm hoping that they grow out of the empty IC sockets overnight Smile. Any suggestions as to where to order these from because I can't find them locally.

I apologize if any of this doesn't make sense. I've been soldering that soundlab board now for a while and it's getting late and my eyes are glazing over.

Thanks for you help if anyone responds to this.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Soundlab Testing
Subject description: Making sure my soundlab makes sound.

crashlander42 wrote:
I hate to start out with a stupid question. I just finished my soundlab board, and plan to wire the panel tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get sound out of it when I'm done. I read elsewhere in the forum that I can crank the mixers and hear audio from it, but it there a way to get a continuous signal from it without building a cv controller? I've salvaged the keyboard off an old piano and plan to build the single bus CV keyboard eventually. I've read a great deal of Ray Wilson's impressive site, but I seem to be missing (and I can miss things right in front of my face) this one little snippet of information.

the SL will work as stand alone unit, thats what it's originally intended to be: a sweet little lofi toy to have some fun with...

Quote:
Also, I just etched the board for the "one chip sample and hold", and plan to add that to my soundlab as well. If I wire the trigger output will it still function without CV input?

yes, think of the s/h as an additional CV generator as the LFO and the AR gen are... see this thread:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-13939.html

Quote:
I've also made some substitutions that I'm unsure about.
I lost my 220k 1/4w resistors so I used 1/2w resistors.

no problem
Quote:
I used 5% resistors for R60 & R61.

will influence the tracking of the VCOs if they're not matched. the tolerance itself is not the problem as long as you find two resistors with exactly the same value (the tolerance gives you the span of possible variation) - does that make sense? with different values, the VCOs will behave different...
Quote:
I can't find LM13700's so I'm hoping that they grow out of the empty IC sockets overnight Smile. Any suggestions as to where to order these from because I can't find them locally.

futurlec? mouser? digikey?

cheers,
matthias
crashlander42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: LM13700
Subject description: LM13700 substitutions

I am having really hard time finding the LM13700. I tried all the suppliers on Ray Wilson's site, and the ones I do find are either surface mount (I believe) or sold in lots of 800, which is a little over my budget. I read the "substitutes for Sound Lab IC´s" that you could possibly use a LM13600, but has anyone tried it and had it work? I also found this on mouser which looks like a match, but I'm not sure.
crashlander42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: LM13700
Subject description: LM13700

I just took another look at that mouser link and realized it's listed as obsolete.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can easily go for the LM13600 (futurlecs price about 2.50$, i think). AFAIK the LM13700 is just a newer version and for filter applications there is no audible (or functional) difference except some special cases (referring to Yves Usson: http://yusynth.net/Wildcat/index.html).

i don't know about the NJR products. it's only a question about quality, i guess - they're meant as substitutes for obsolet ICs, i suppose?
maybe someone with more experience on these NJR products can step in here?

cheers,
matthias
crashlander42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: LM13600
Subject description: LM13600

I'll just order the lm13600 from futurlec then. It amuses me to get packages from thailand at work anyways. Thanks!
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got a tube of 25 LM13700s from Digikey. That's the smallest number I could get a hold of. They are handy for virtually any kind of OTA substitute, so I didn't mind the AU$80 or so.
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually just got a bunch of those NJM OTA's in this week. The data sheets don't really show any difference between them and the old nationals. I haven't yet stuck them in anything, but if i do i'll let you know. If they are the same, i'm def. getting more, as .70$ can't be beat, especially from mouser with their great service and fast shipping.
-justin
crashlander42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: lm13700
Subject description: lm13700

Thanks for the help! I went ahead and ordered the LM13600 form futurlec. now I just have to wait and how when they come in that the rest of my soundlab works right. Which i expect it won't, I'm sure.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: