electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Modular show and tell
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
amos_joseph

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Modular show and tell
Subject description: How I spent my summer vacation
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’ve been a lurker and occasional poster on here for a while now, so I thought I’d introduce myself and show off my latest project.

I’ve been doing DIY synth stuff for about a year and a half. I started out on guitar pedals, built a sound lab, then a x0xb0x, and this summer I finally started work on building a modular.

I wanted to go as DIY as possible, so I decided I’d buy blank boards from Ray Wilson and CGS to start with and build the case and panels myself. The case isn’t 100% finished, but it’s fully functional so I thought I’d show it off.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Click here for a bigger picture

Here are the modules I used:

4 MFOS VCOs
2 MFOS LP Filters
2 MFOS Variable Filters
2 MFOS Dual VCAs
2 MFOS VC LFOs
2 MFOS Sample & Hold
2 MFOS Noise Cornucopia
2 MFOS ADSRs
2 CGS Mixers
1 CGS Psycho LFO
1 Paia MIDI to CV
2 Custom Mult modules
1 Custom Glide module
1 Custom 1/4” to banana module

I used paia frac racks to mount everything and designed all the panel layouts myself. They’re based roughly on Blacet layouts because I think Blacet really knows how to pack a lot of control and I/O into the smaller euro form factor. I used a photo-sensitive aluminum called ID Mark to do all the panel art, which gives it a very “professional” look.

As you’ve probably noticed, I really like Ray Wilson’s designs and I doubt I would have even attempted this beast of a project without his site. His modules sound great, his VCOs track beautifully (all four will stay in tune for at least 5 octaves), and his documentation is just about the best I’ve ever come across….and you can’t beat his prices, either.
toybox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice!!!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice work. Thanks for the link for the "ID Mark" also. I have been using "Front Panel Express" for my DIY and for projects at work.

I use the PAIA Frac Rack cages for DIY projects also as they are much less expensive than the Blacet cages and they do the same darn thing. I like the form factor also.

I see you have the jacks color coded. I suppose that delineates the control from audio? Much like Buchla liked to do.

PLease post some sound examples, I am sure the guys, including me, would like to hear those MFOS modules!

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very, very nice indeed. Ditto on the samples!

Cheers,
Scott
amos_joseph

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Very nice work. Thanks for the link for the "ID Mark" also. I have been using "Front Panel Express" for my DIY and for projects at work.

If you're interested in ID Mark, here's the link that convinced me to give it a try: http://www.sdiy.org/xyzzy/panels/.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Waaaaaay coooool! Very Happy
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Modular show and tell
Subject description: How I spent my summer vacation
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
(...) a very “professional” look.

indeed! beautiful... it can be seen that you really have had a good time in summer...

BTW it would be good to have some kind of showroom here... i always find it very interesting and inspiring to see others projects...

cheers,
matthias
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Others have said, but I'll say it again -- very nice work indeed.

And thanks for the pointers on the ID Mark system - that looks very interesting & I think I've located the UK suppliers for it.. The 2nd IDMark link suggests it costs about $2 per fracrak panel which is pretty reasonable.

Great!

zonkout

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is kinda how Serge panels are made. With Serge, the photosensitive aluminum is wrapped over standardized panels pre-drilled with a grid of holes.

Thanks for the links, amos_joseph!
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NICE!!!!!!! Very Happy
oldmanfury

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: ID-mark Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you tell me specifically where you get the ID-mark supplies? Their website doesn't show any US distributors of this particular line...

Thanks for any info,
-gerald
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, your modular looks very impressive, very pro. Great job..

Multiples in a Banana system??? is this to make the adding and removal of patches easier, in case you want to remove a sound which has something else stacked on top of it??

again, looks great.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If you're interested in ID Mark, here's the link that convinced me to give it a try: http://www.sdiy.org/xyzzy/panels/.

Thanks for this link! Wow, I am really impressed with the "Front Designer" software. I am seriously thinking about purchasing this for DIY and work applications. I may have seen this software before but for some reason it really impacted me this time ....

Thanks again,
Bill
amos_joseph

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: ID-mark Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldmanfury wrote:
Can you tell me specifically where you get the ID-mark supplies? Their website doesn't show any US distributors of this particular line...

I ordered it directly from the manufacturer. There's an 800 number in the upper right hand corner of the page. Here's the link

The Alison Project wrote:
Multiples in a Banana system??? is this to make the adding and removal of patches easier, in case you want to remove a sound which has something else stacked on top of it??

I know that one of the advantages of banana jacks is the ability to stack jacks up, but stacking more than two jacks is a little messy to work with. The mults are just there to keep the patches nice and neat.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banana's make better connections and they last for years and years. I wish my Moog Modular was made with bananas. Good choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful! I also love the case you have them in. Can it be transported from venue to venue easily enough, or is it designed strickly for the studio?
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice System.
I make my Front Panels in Wood because of the easy handling of it, but labeling is a Problem. i do it by Hand with coloured pencils

I've allready thought about to switch to aluminum and buy some tools.
so the Link to ID-Mark is very welcome. Especially also the one with the explanations how to do the Frontpanels.

thanks

( and i opened now also a thread in the German synthesizerforum.de about with all Links posted )
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Wow, I am really impressed with the "Front Designer" software. I am seriously thinking about purchasing this for DIY and work applications.

Why pay for that when you can get this;

http://www.solidedge.com/free2D/

for free!!

One can even design schematics in it (it has an extensive >>free<< library thrown in too! )

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: