electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Quality of Reverb
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
TheRain

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Quality of Reverb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not that experienced with reverb and I don't really have a good sense of what is a good reverb and what is a cheap and crappy sounding one... so I was wondering if someone with more experience could comment on the quality of the G2 reverb and it's usefullness in a proffessional mix. This I mean to include any enhencements or tricks people have figured out to make the normal G2 reverb module sound better. I would love to hear your perspective.
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my opinion, the quality of the G2 reverb module, when used by itself without extra 'tips and tricks', is just OK. Maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10. Better than a cheap older Alesis reverb sound, but nowhere near as good as a $1000 Lexicon or T.C. or Eventide. However, I think the biggest shortcoming with it is not the sound, but the lack of flexibility and controls when compared to hardware reverb FX boxes. I really wish it had more controls (with modulation inputs!)

But fortunately much of these shortcomings can be overcome by applying processing before and after the reverb and using multiple reverb modules with different settings and different pre & post processing. I made a couple of patches like this, check the archive for "EXT Lux Reverb" and "EXT Lux Reverb2". With the right tricks, you really can get a very good sound out of it, even though you still may not have the same type of detailed controls for things like density and early reflection damping etc. The Lux Reverb patches actually sound about as good as my Lexicons (plug-in and MPX-1 hardware box), Different, but just as good.

Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Quality of Reverb Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TheRain wrote:
I am not that experienced with reverb and I don't really have a good sense of what is a good reverb and what is a cheap and crappy sounding one... so I was wondering if someone with more experience could comment on the quality of the G2 reverb and it's usefullness in a professional mix...

excellent question that i've been thinking much about, i have the same problem. i'd been using a (lower-end) TC m300 for a while, but i stopped using it for a bit because i wanted to try using just the G2 reverb. i recently hooked it back up, but found that i don't think it sounds as good anymore. as in, with a bit of patching and routing work would i be better off without the TC? i honestly can't see spending $500+ on a reverb unit, as much as i know how important they can be.

TheRain

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey dave, yah your reverb patch does sound quite good. Thanks guys for the replies.

-collin
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me chime in and say that I've done some patching in order to try some diy reverb techniques here http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-9553.html and a more or less final version here http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-9637.html. I don't have the confidence to say it is up to par with commercial reverb units, but all parameters can be messed with Twisted Evil .

I would also like to encourage anyone interested in 'verbs to do some diy experiments and post 'em here on the forum. Would be highly appreciated by yours truly.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I posted to this topic. I must have forgotten to push the submit button.

I think the G2 reverb sounds quite nice. It's got enough adjustments for me. You can always patch in whatever you need if it's not just right. To be sure, I'm not using it as a reverb for mastering recordings or anything like that. I think as a reverb for an analog synth, it's superb. You can mix the reverb with some of the other G2 effects like delay, echo, phaser, chorus and others. You get a very rich effects pallet. I'm quite please with the reverb module. It sounds sweet to me.

Now, I've been known to have made some caustic statements about reverb. I think it is one of the most overused effects in electronic music. Some people set up a nice thick reverb with echos and just play anything into it. I don't care for that too much.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jari Jokinen

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The reverb is modulated. The modulation can't be switched off.

Best regards
Jari Jokinen
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMHO the reverb should be relabeled "powder sugar cloud generator". Laughing Twisted Evil
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find the reverb on G2 good and sweet. I'm used to the reverb of my Motif ES and I don't like it, I can nearly hear the individual delays. The G2 one sounds more "homogeneous" to me.

I too think that reverb is overused, again, the Motif ES has all channels with reverb send put to 12 at power on, and I don't like it a bit. It sounds much better without reverb at all IMHO.

I don't like most of the presets on the G2 as they have too much reverb put on them, and this also cuts polyphony.

But, I would like to know what reverb used Vangelis in the the Blade Runner soundtrack, I find it really warm.

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:

But, I would like to know what reverb used Vangelis in the the Blade Runner soundtrack, I find it really warm.

Indeed, a great mix. It was probably something like an early AMS digital or perhaps a large plate (real, not DSP). But you can simulate some of the elements of this warm reverb effect in the G2 (or other digital verbs):
1. Add plenty of pre-delay just before the reverb, like 100msec, so the reverb is not sitting right 'on top of' the direct sound. This helps to retain clarity of the dry track by avoiding some of the masking that occurs when you add reverb.
2. Add a LP filter or use EQ to remove all the high frequencies just before the input to the reverb (doin't affect the dry signal that gets routed to the output, just the input to the reverb). This does not sound the same as damping or filtering the output of the reverb, and it can provide a really nice effect. It can sound more realistic since many natural reverbs don't have nearly as much HF signal as a digital reverb, or it can provide a warm lush sound that is NOT realistic but works well in the mix, like the Bladerunner effect.

capfindus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

90% of famous albums have a Lexicon 480 as the main reverb unit... a 5000€ machine Very Happy
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should hear Dave Peck's reverbs on the G2 -- lush!!!

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-34716.html#34716

Thanks Dave!
/Dasz
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That reverb sounds really nice!
Darwin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The quality of the G2 reverb is not very good.
Maybe the fault of lack of controls and the algorithms too.
However I am really fan of Dlystereo.
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A close and detailed audition of the G2's reverb made me change my opinion about it.

It has a certain good character, but not high quality.

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: