electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
calling all beat experts (is this a contest?)
Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
marr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: sometimes you gotta think outside the box ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windchill, re the original post, I had the same issue with my NM1. I solved it by getting a Vermona DRM1mkii, a handful of guitar pedals, and a patchbay. Looking forward to integrating that via the G2 inputs when my Engine comes in next week. Shocked
windchill

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a few days of work - and taking on board a number of replies - I have pinpointed the problem - the issue that makes me want to reach for a sampler. It's the snare - and I don't mean a traditional acoustic or 808 snare - I mean any sound that takes that role. I now realise that if you're prepared to put the work in that kicks, hats, bleeps, crackles etc are all perfectly possible - but the snare always sounds to me like a burst of noise. Autechre would often use snare sounds reminiscent of camera-wind-motors, metal sheets etc, clearly the result of sample manipulation - and it's this that the G2 seems unable to create. So that's my problem .. the snare ... I spent 3 hours this morning playing with a sort of wavetable snare using an audio-rate clocked patternGen. I was using a digitizer, saturation, wave wrapper - all carefully controlled with numerous envelopes, plus envelopes on filter pitch etc. When I was finished I took a break and made myself a cup of coffee .. but when I went back to have a listen to my wonderful new snare ... there it was again ... a burst of flat, inconsequential noise!
windchill

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yet again - maybe I spoke too soon. I just found this amazing piece of work by mother misty:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=snare&t=4928
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want less 'noise-like' snares, try using pitch or frequency shifters. Also, look at the synthesising snares page at sound on sound's website.

An example can be found here: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-7083.html

Also in the Drums section here, listen to G2ian's SOS snare patch.

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a 12-22kHz 12 bit (or less) digitizer just before the envelope can give your snares guts.

I sometimes do my own sample rate / bit conversion using s/h and multiplier modules (Dave Peck asked me this when we met at NAMM).
/Dasz
hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been messing with this kind of stuff for a while... Here are a couple of patches I've worked on...

Have fun!

AE MAX4.pch2
 Description:
This was done explording the rumored "Autechre Max Patch" found online... I read some documents on it and messed around with the Max patch and sort of got this...

Download
 Filename:  AE MAX4.pch2
 Filesize:  9.42 KB
 Downloaded:  1512 Time(s)

6-6 Drum Seq4.pch2
 Description:
I love drum machines...

Download
 Filename:  6-6 Drum Seq4.pch2
 Filesize:  17.46 KB
 Downloaded:  1292 Time(s)

Ballad2 (web).pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Ballad2 (web).pch2
 Filesize:  5.91 KB
 Downloaded:  1239 Time(s)

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a patch happened because of our discussion. thanks folks!

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-97251.html#97251

/Dasz
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

intoxicat wrote:
Quote:
Now don't we all wish we had patterns in those sequencers?

yes we do, we do indeed

I once send an interesting wish to clavia... having a polyphonic seqencer module where you have as much edit pages as voices adressed to the patch. These pages can be switches by a control input. each page representing one of the voices available.
With a button you can set the poly sequencer module to mono...
in this moment you have as many switchable patterns as voices assigned to the patch. This all of cause done in the fashion of the note sequencer with rec in and all that stuff.

With the actual note sequencer you can record allready polyphonic...it just dont allows to edit the voices independently and only saves the upfront voice.

Btw: in threads like this i miss the old NM mailinglist...i just could have altered now the topic a bit and would have had a subthread within this one, that clearly seperates thru the tree structure of a mail list...

Its really a pitty that the nerdish base structure of phpBB is not allowing this basic Bulitin Board function...It was probably a to anarchistic feature for the core developers of phpBB...at least the name of the university in the states where this projekt is hosted sounds pretty anti anarchistic to me.. I might be wrong...but brave students dont change a topic within a discussion...so they dont see a need for functions like that..even when its a very old feature of the internet..all this irc and newsgroup stuff is organized in tree structures ... The phpBB is rather a block structure...
you only navigate within one thread.

sorry...

that was 2 out topics in one mail Wink
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

windchill wrote:
Yet again - maybe I spoke too soon. I just found this amazing piece of work by mother misty:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=snare&t=4928

I think so... I had very good snare sounds fromm the nord in the past...
its some work but its possible..more expensiv that a tom sound module wise...

You should check sheridans funky drummer patch...this one answers all doubts regarding the G2´s ability to do snaresounds...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
sorry...

Still a good point IMO.

Page 2 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: