electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry XR VCO samples
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry XR VCO samples
Subject description: XR2206 VCO
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody. I built three of Thomas Henry’s XR VCO’s a few months ago and its about time I put up some samples for folks to hear.

For the first sample “3 XR-VCO warm” I have the three VCO’s going through a CEM3320 filter with one of those VCO's going through a CEM3320 phase shifter. I am modulating by hand the cutoff and resonance of the phase shifter. On the filter I have an LFO modulating the cutoff. You can hear the VC Skew on one of the VCO's.

For the second sample “3 XR-VCO step sequence” I have the same setup as above except I am not modulating the phase shifter. Instead I mix in the third VCO at around 20 seconds. I am using a Fat Controller for the step sequencer.

I tried posting the links here but they dont work, so you can find them at the top of my website,

http://www.cubanpetemusic.com/

pete
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great samples pete. I was very curious about the CGS gated comparator sometime ago, kudos for demoing that.
23isgood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a pic of one of the boards.

XR VCO.JPG
 Description:
XR VCO PCB
 Filesize:  325.49 KB
 Viewed:  14266 Time(s)

XR VCO.JPG

23isgood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Shawn. I'm glad you liked the sounds. I'm putting up demos of modules so people can get a better idea of what these modules can do.

There are a few things that need to be adjusted on my VCO's. I noticed that when the VC Skew kicks in, the saw tooth or ramp is louder than the triangle and sine. The square is also louder. I think I need to switch out some resistors.

pete
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Niiiice. Please do so. The demos last night actually sparked my interest in getting a power supply to start working on some modules. My cnc router is finished so all I have to do is some tweaking and I can finally start making some circuit boards. Yay, no chemicals. Smile
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thomas Henry XR VCO samples
Subject description: XR2206 VCO
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
I tried posting the links here but they dont work, so you can find them at the top of my website,
http://www.cubanpetemusic.com/

I'd like to hear these but I can't get the links on your site to work.
Sad
23isgood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I didn't realise that you can upload mp3's. So here you are.

3 XR-VCO step sequence.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  3 XR-VCO step sequence.mp3
 Filesize:  2.38 MB
 Downloaded:  1159 Time(s)

3 XR-VCOwarm.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  3 XR-VCOwarm.mp3
 Filesize:  4.43 MB
 Downloaded:  1150 Time(s)

mikeb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was planning on building one of these really soon and I'm designing my own board for it (I need a few extra things on there, like a power supply, etc.. and don't need a few things.). Could you tell me how much current the circuit is drawing from the + and - 15V supplies?

Thanks.. great samples Smile
23isgood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure. How do I do that? Measure the current?
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
I'm not sure. How do I do that? Measure the current?

Do you have a multimeter?

little tutorial here:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_2/4.html
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I'm at work right now, with laptop speakers and no headphones, but I can tell already I like these samples! Can't wait to go home and hear'em unimpeded by tinny speakers and low volume.

If you used the same resistor values as the original schematic, there's probably nothing wrong with your skew waveform levels. If you haven't checked them out, images of the waveforms are linked on my XR VCO page - you can see the level remains the same throughout the skew. Most likely what you are sensing is the natural difference in the waveforms themselves - a sawtooth and a pulse wave always sound (at least to me) much louder than a sine or a triangle at the same P-P level. The difference is that the sawtooth and pulse waveforms have a lot more harmonic content in them, so they come across perceptually as 'louder'.

Cheers,
Scott
23isgood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Scott. Well I think that the square wave output is very loud, but I did look at the skew on my very old Heathkit scope and it looks just like the pics on your site. Well when you listen to the samples again see if you can tell the difference. I did not use the square wave outputs at all. I will put up some samples of those soon.

pete
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
Hey Scott. Well I think that the square wave output is very loud, but I did look at the skew on my very old Heathkit scope and it looks just like the pics on your site. Well when you listen to the samples again see if you can tell the difference. I did not use the square wave outputs at all. I will put up some samples of those soon.

pete

What Scott is saying is that when the waveform skews from sine to ramp, there is just a perceived increase in volume, but not an actual one as you noticed on the scope. hope that helps
23isgood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yea I understood. The additional harmonics of the sawtooth are perceived as louder. A sine wave since it is so smooth sounds quieter which is also similar to a triangle wave shape. In these patches i'm using triangle waves with only one of them skewing into sawtooth. Though I did adjust the first two some where between tri and saw for that additional warmth.

I will post some raw wave outputs with no filtering for reference.
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: