electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 overall patchload?
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: G2 overall patchload? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I missing something? I thought the G2 had 4 (or 8 ) independent DSP chips...

I'm trying to ensemble a live perf. patch..

Slot A: 50% cy., 98% mem. for both VA and FX
Slot B: 89% cy., 91% mem. for VA, FX is empty...
Slot C: 90% cy., 99% mem. for FX, VA is empty...
Slot D: 31% cy., 74% mem. for FX, VA is empty...

Slots C and D don't run...

Slot A is all sequencing, with switches and random triggers...
Slot B is a bank of 6 Fm based percussion synths...
Slot C is a delay-based effect with lots of LFO's...
Slot D is a reverser with delay and an LFO...

What gives? Is there some sort of general limit aside from the max. DSP per patch? If so this is going to KILL me...

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How many voices are you requesting for each slot? Each voice request makes a copy of the VA area into the DSP pool. The FX is copied only once, no matter how many voices are requested. So it looks like A, C & D would request 1 voice, but your B slot may be killing you.
hyperstationjr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 per (mono), since most of them are sequencers or effects which don't depend on a voice. Even the Drum Synths are mono...

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm surprised your C-slot won't work, as I would guess this to happen:

Slot A: 2 dsp's since VA and FX are filled (if both take >50% of either cy or fx, 2 dsp's are used)
Slot B: 1 dsp (only FX is filled)
That would leave 1 dsp for Slot C in my mind, but apparently is doesn't. It is not surprising that Slot D doesn't work, that would require a fifth dsp.

Delete slot D, and see if C starts working. Or put everything in va + FX of slot A & B; that way you could never take more than 4 dsp's. If VA is set to mono, there is no difference between VA or FX. If it still doesn't work when everything is cramped into slot A & B VA+FX, chances are you have crossed the limit of the amount of modules per slot, but I believe that only happens when you have >100 modules.

sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are a few DSP saving ideas...

If you use more than one voice, try keeping patch load under 50%. You can do this by moving any modules that don't need polyphony to the FX area, ie. almost all modules except oscillators, LFOs, other modules that have mono/poly buttons set to poly, etc. This way, fewer modules will be effected enabling higher voice counts. The important DSP figures to stay under are 25%, 33%, or 50%.

Also, try economising your modules, ie. if you only need an oscillator to produce one waveform, use the Osc C or D modules which 'cost' less DSP. The same goes for LFOs, Envelopes, Filters and many other modules.

I hope that helps. Very Happy

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And your memory % look okay in slot c and d? or is any of them red?
/Dasz
hyperstationjr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Slot C and D are in the red, but are under their max DSP percentage, which is what's confusing me.. I'm not going over the limit on ANY of Slots, but for whatever reason, they crap out...

As for DSP-saving, done. Funny thing is al the "old" G1 tricks, like using an LFO as an oscillator, don't really work, and even a basic LFO (aside from LFO C) are as much or more than a basic FM Osc. (which is the only osc I'm using in the .perf).

I'm also using MULTI Filters w/ mixers as opposed to a NORD filter... I am using MUTLI Envelops as opposed to ADSR's but that's not a world of difference really...

But again, in some cases, I'm only using one aspect of the DSP (VA or FX) and while I am getting close to the ceiling of each Slot, I don't understand why I can't use say 60% on every slot...

Is there a max per module? I don't see how that would be possible...

For Sale/Trade:
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can you post the prf?
hyperstationjr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest.. I do feel a little funny about it, but if it will help get the thing off the ground, then I suppose so.

-LIVE7 (web).prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  -LIVE7 (web).prf2
 Filesize:  28.41 KB
 Downloaded:  1133 Time(s)

For Sale/Trade:
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Four slots at 60% is the same as four slots using between 51% and 100% and will use 4 DSPs.

I recommend expanding... the extra 4 DSPs come in handy! Very Happy

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a bit strange.

I see some slots are set to legato and I never tried that so maybe that's part of the problem ?

Otherwise it must be a miscalculation of resource usage by the editor. The percentages should make it possible to have slots A, B and C running or ABD or actually all combinations of three patches, but not ABCD (on an unexpanded modular).

The limiting factor here is memory, all patch areas are above 50% for that and so you can only have have four areas (for four dsp's). As slot B wants two areas something has to give in.

(an area's memory must be allocated on the same dsp as it's cycles).

dasz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

The limiting factor here is memory, all patch areas are above 50% for that and so you can only have have four areas (for four dsp's). As slot B wants two areas something has to give in.

(an area's memory must be allocated on the same dsp as it's cycles).

that's what I was thinking
/Dasz
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any idea as to why i'm getting a checksum error when trying to open this file? never had that happen before. i've tried downloading it twice, even renaming it. is everyone else able to load this ok?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
is everyone else able to load this ok?

For me it's ok.

dasz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

worked fine here too.
/Dasz
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"can't load file. checksum error. could not load file."

this is what i'm getting, any ideas what might cause this? i can't get it to open on either of the computers here. never had this problem before, other patches and performances open as usual. Sad

hyperstationjr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could e-mail the file to you if you'd like... Here's a new version anyways... waaaaay slimmed down.

I'm doing a lot more in LIVE, including effects, samplers and mixing. I'm a little uneasy about that, and may look into trying to throw Mac OSX onto my older Sony laptop in hopes of getting better results... we'll see...

-LIVE12 (web).prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  -LIVE12 (web).prf2
 Filesize:  32.79 KB
 Downloaded:  1082 Time(s)

For Sale/Trade:
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
"any ideas what might cause this?

I don't really know, except that there indeed is a checksum at the end of a patch, so probably for some reason the download was not successfull.

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: