electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
New Device: Ghost Talker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Chrometuna

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: New Device: Ghost Talker.
Subject description: Give your ghost a synth for the ghost in the machine....
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive got a ghost, actually, a couple of them that hang out here in my dungeon. A friend of mine ALSO has a ghost that hangs out in HIS studio.

Ghosts are real, they exist, no need to debate it.

Our ghosts seem bored, artisticly blocked, and unable to express themselves. I believe it is because they dont have instruments of their OWN to play with, and through.

SO......what I think some folks on here might be interested in developing, is a "Ghost Talker" synth.

Many theories about ghosts, and how to detect them involve electromagnetic field, and ionic disturbances.

We know what a therimin is, and how it works. And there are "tri-field" detectors out there that pick up on energy fields.

SO......

What we need is a synth, maybe something as simple as a WSG and/or an Atari Punk Consol....but controlled by therimin type detectors that pick up on various energy disturbances and then manipulate the sounds and devices accordingly.

It would have to be considerably more sensitive then a typical therimin.

The thing could be left on, and placed in the room(s) where the ghosts hang out, and eventually they will find it, and set it off, and after some practice, they will start playing it, using their energy to create sounds, and possibly ven make understandable voices.

Or you could just make it look like some modern art sculpture, and put it somewhere where a family member or visitor will eventually walk by it and set it off.
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Didn't Edison invent a device through which you could talk to the spirits of the dead? Twisted Evil

It would be interesting to see those schematics... Rolling Eyes

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pehr wrote:
Didn't Edison invent a device through which you could talk to the spirits of the dead?

See : http://skepdic.com/evp.html - you don't want to read this probably if you are an EVP believer ...

Pehr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edison wrote:
it is possible to construct an apparatus which will be so delicate that if there are personalities in another existence or sphere who wish to get in touch with us in this existence or sphere, this apparatus will at least give them a better opportunity to express themselves than the tilting tables and raps and ouija boards and mediums and the other crude methods now purported to be the only means of communication.

Twisted Evil

how would it be built then...? Confused

richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
See : http://skepdic.com/evp.html - you don't want to read this probably if you are an EVP believer ...

heh heh "Was Peter Frampton channeling?"
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I assume Chrometuna is serious. I think this is a very good idea. If one believes in the possibility of ghosts, then something like this would be better than conventional EVT because it would be more sensitive and it would give the ghosts feedback.

There are some animals that are very sensitive to electric fields. I have often thought it would be great to have an electric field detector to carry around to see what the world looks like in that spectrum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LukeDI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I assume Chrometuna is serious. I think this is a very good idea. If one believes in the possibility of ghosts
Hey why not? At the very least it'll probably make some neat noises. The major problem I can think of is that a device like this would likely need to be very sensitive at a level that may be beyond the average DIYers skill level.

Quote:
...and put it somewhere where a family member or visitor will eventually walk by it and set it off.
Mr. Green I like the way you think.
Chrometuna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LukeDI wrote:
Quote:
I assume Chrometuna is serious. I think this is a very good idea. If one believes in the possibility of ghosts
Hey why not? At the very least it'll probably make some neat noises. The major problem I can think of is that a device like this would likely need to be very sensitive at a level that may be beyond the average DIYers skill level.

Quote:
...and put it somewhere where a family member or visitor will eventually walk by it and set it off.
Mr. Green I like the way you think.

Yes I'm serious! I think it would be a fun gadget to have around! I have access to some gieger counters from the cold war (1960s) if some of those parts are useful.

Ive caputred some "EVPs" on tape and digital (handheld memory thingie) recorders. But I am not entirely sold on the whole phenomenon.....its like aural illusions, you can hear anything if you WANT to.

But I cant entirely rule them out either.

And I dont know why ghosts would somehow prefer to talk through the CHEAPEST of devices and not the hi-fi high-zoot pro gear. (Except I dont haul my recording studio around with me when I investigate old State Hosp buildings....a bit too heavy and cumbersom)

But more to the point: I think such a ghost-talking synth should react to electromagnetic, magnetic, ion and possibly other light wavelengths.

Cheers
bob c
Tenine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm unsure of my beliefs in this matter, but it sounds like a great project Smile

Would you be willing to share one or two of your EVP recordings with us, please? I'm curious...

Thanks,
Alex
Chrometuna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tenine wrote:
I'm unsure of my beliefs in this matter, but it sounds like a great project Smile

Would you be willing to share one or two of your EVP recordings with us, please? I'm curious...

Thanks,
Alex

I was just at Barnes and Nobel and saw a book "Sensors For Evil Geniuses" (Its part of an "evil genius" serious of science/DIY books....the world is a better place because I DID NOT have such books as a kid! But I'm gonna go buy them now!)
There where schematics and explainations for building ion detectors, EMF detectors etc. Im sure that those would be useful for designing a circuit that reacts to environmental energies.

Let me see if I can attach one of my EVP.s

What we hear in this, is a short snippet made while "investigating" The Topeka State Hospitol main building ( REALLY cool and creepy old building! It just LOOKS like it HAS to be haunted! Its too classic NOT to be! You almost expect Frankenfurter and Riff Raff to come out dancing The Time Warp)

I was following our "Medium" (She's got some skills. Im not gonna call her Nostradamus or Edgar Cayce, but she's got something going on) And she was talking about how the area had energy, and "Its very strong".

You hear her say "It's very strong". But right before that? Well.....that sure wasnt any of the rest of us! (It was just her and I in that spot, the other two investigators where about 50 feet away)

Let me know what YOU think is being said by the "EVP"?

canyouacceptme.wav
 Description:
The basicly un-retouched file.

Download
 Filename:  canyouacceptme.wav
 Filesize:  648.19 KB
 Downloaded:  979 Time(s)

Chrometuna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And here is another version with some noise reduction.

canyouacceptmenoisereduction.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  canyouacceptmenoisereduction.wav
 Filesize:  648.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1009 Time(s)

gmeredith

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Years ago I was in a band and we had an SH1 that I swear was possessed. You would just finish playing something on it, and about 2 minutes later, of it's own acord, it would start this very faint random note sequence that would get louder and louder, even though all of the LFO and other delayed settings stuff was switched off. We could never get it to shut up, but we still kept using it 'cause priests with exorcising skills were hard to find back then!

Cheers, Graham
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Device: Ghost Talker.

Chrometuna wrote:

Laughing

So run that past me again?

"No need to debate it" ???

Ever heard of democracy? Laughing

EVP is (imo) the biggest load of twoddle to hit the modern world since creationism!

Listen to a whole load of white noise with odd aircraft/ citizens band/ ham radio stuff thrown in, and you'll hear anything! Very Happy

There is no scientific evidence for EVP. It's bad science.

Personally, I prefer the hypothesis about infra-sound.

Quote:
Richard Lord with Britain's National Physical Laboratory and Richard Wiseman at the University of Hertfordshire described experiments in which infrasound was mixed into contemporary music. Some listeners reported uneasy, nervous, or chills-down-the-spine feelings. Professor Wiseman told the meeting that "these results suggest that low-frequency sound can cause people to have unusual experiences even though they cannot consciously detect infrasound," according to a Reuters report.

The unheard infrasound "symphony" has become an important tool for nuclear test-ban monitoring and for atmospheric, avalanche, and earthquake research. And it now appears that, if you have creepy feelings in creepy places, you don't have to look for supernatural sources. Just blame them on the real-life acoustics of "The Twilight Zone."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0918/p14s02-stss.html

http://skepdic.com/infrasound.html

Now howabout that? An infra-sound generator?? That'll be a good project! Just think, you could make money from it too, by helping stressed families get rid of their 'neighbours from hell', by spooking the hell out of them Idea Twisted Evil Cool Laughing [/quote]

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...for pesky neighbors (and e. cayce), i recomend a big amp, and some 8hz brown noise Smile

deknow
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the PC vs. Mac debate we may be miles apart.
But I reckon you couldn't squeeze a bee's dick between Tom and I on this topic! Shocked Laughing

Chrometuna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
In the PC vs. Mac debate we may be miles apart.
But I reckon you couldn't squeeze a bee's dick between Tom and I on this topic! Shocked Laughing

I am not very familiar with squeezing bee's dicks. Can you provide a schematic?

However, I think that an environmental-sensing synth would be great fun.....even if no ghosts ever show up to play it. There are wierd blobs and sources of energy rampaging around everywhere. Wouldnt it be interesting to hear what they sound like?

The army, CIA and various spook-military organizations have developed and used sub-sonic weapons for psy-ops. I believe they might have used them during the Waco stand-off.

Cheers
bob c

ps: I rarely use emoticons, because I find it more amuzing when people dont know if I am kidding or not.

pps: I still think a ghost-talker would be cool.

ppps: ghosts exist.
Chrometuna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Device: Ghost Talker.

v-un-v wrote:
Chrometuna wrote:

Laughing

So run that past me again?

"No need to debate it" ???

Ever heard of democracy? Laughing

Ghosts cant vote. Therefor democracy is invalid.

Quote:
EVP is (imo) the biggest load of twoddle to hit the modern world since creationism!

I dont think it is the BIGGEST load of twoddle.....I dont think it is nearly THAT important. However, I do not own a twoddleometer, so I cant really judge that. Have you got a schematic so I can build one? And is that a METRIC twoddle load? Or a Queens twoddle load?

I have a LOT of skeptisism about EVPs. But so far I cant just rule them out 100%

However, I DO believe that there are "inteligent energies"...call them ghosts, or spirits, or whatever...out there, and that they try to communicate with us. They are just as incompetent at it as we are.

Quote:
Listen to a whole load of white noise with odd aircraft/ citizens band/ ham radio stuff thrown in, and you'll hear anything! Very Happy

There is no scientific evidence for EVP. It's bad science.

Personally, I prefer the hypothesis about infra-sound.

Quote:
Richard Lord with Britain's National Physical Laboratory and Richard Wiseman at the University of Hertfordshire described experiments in which infrasound was mixed into contemporary music. Some listeners reported uneasy, nervous, or chills-down-the-spine feelings. Professor Wiseman told the meeting that "these results suggest that low-frequency sound can cause people to have unusual experiences even though they cannot consciously detect infrasound," according to a Reuters report.

The unheard infrasound "symphony" has become an important tool for nuclear test-ban monitoring and for atmospheric, avalanche, and earthquake research. And it now appears that, if you have creepy feelings in creepy places, you don't have to look for supernatural sources. Just blame them on the real-life acoustics of "The Twilight Zone."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0918/p14s02-stss.html

http://skepdic.com/infrasound.html

Now howabout that? An infra-sound generator?? That'll be a good project! Just think, you could make money from it too, by helping stressed families get rid of their 'neighbours from hell', by spooking the hell out of them Idea Twisted Evil Cool Laughing
[/quote]

The problem that I see is in building a transducer capable of putting out volume of that kind of frequencies.

Some friends and I considered a prank wherein we would try to scare the holy buhjeebuz out of some people by using sub-sonic sounds. We figured that if we could mount a big enough electromagnet to a large heavey peice of plywood, and bury it a few inches below the ground, that we could get the desired effect.

I have also always comptemplated the bass-bin. The huge heavy W bins or subs needed to put out loud low frequencies at concerts.

Does it ALWAYS have to be a "Speaker"? Does it HAVE to be a cone and an electromagnet?

Could it be some kind of ion generator or projector that causes a massive air-wave? And could such a thing take up the space of a suitcase? Instead of a HUGE W bin?

Cheers
bob c
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I heard that the main building at Waco was an enormous sub bin and that the CIA were actually doing tests to see if they could make the cows explode! Of course it all went terribly wrong when the timber floorboards shook so consistently that the place caught on fire and, well, you know the rest of the story.
Pehr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrometuna wrote:

But more to the point: I think such a ghost-talking synth should react to electromagnetic, magnetic, ion and possibly other light wavelengths.

and temperature?

Tenine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for uploading the EVP clips.
I was just curious to hear what they might sound like Smile
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"environmental" controllers already exist...they are called theremins....and in waco, i think they broadcast recordings of rabbits being slaughtered more than infrasound.

deknow
LukeDI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
But I am not entirely sold on the whole phenomenon.....its like aural illusions, you can hear anything if you WANT to.

But I cant entirely rule them out either.
My opinion exactly. I'm not going to spend my time trying to figure it out or catch ghosts talking etc. If someone else can do it great.

I do however believe in bigfoot/yeti.

p.s. anyone else see the SNL with Hugh Laurie. Wink
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrometuna wrote:

Interesting. I don't know what the voice is saying - any ideas? Maybe it is a Clavia announcement about the next G2 OS update. Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Device: Ghost Talker.

Chrometuna wrote:

Ghosts cant vote. Therefor democracy is invalid.

Ahh- so ghosts live in a dictatorship?? Wink Laughing

Chrometuna wrote:

Or a Queens twoddle load?

Question Confused

Chrometuna wrote:

I have a LOT of skeptisism about EVPs. But so far I cant just rule them out 100%

Okay, so you're 'agnostic'? Why are you skeptical if you can't rule them out 100%? Isn't that a bit of an awkward paradox?

Chrometuna wrote:

However, I DO believe that there are "inteligent energies"...call them ghosts, or spirits, or whatever...out there, and that they try to communicate with us.

Oh no. This subject is slowly moving towards the nonsense which is otherwise known as 'creationism'. i.e. a unscientific notion that life has been created by an intelligent outer force etc etc

Chrometuna wrote:

They are just as incompetent at it as we are.

Okay Confused Just as incompetent as we are? Have you thought that this crossed parallel could actually be us?? Talking on citizens band or whatever.

Chrometuna wrote:

The problem that I see is in building a transducer capable of putting out volume of that kind of frequencies.

I remember the KLF used to have a tank that had a 'sonic gun' attached to the front. It was used to 'fire drum beats' at people in the audience. Quite a silly idea indeed Very Happy

Chrometuna wrote:

Could it be some kind of ion generator or projector that causes a massive air-wave? And could such a thing take up the space of a suitcase? Instead of a HUGE W bin?

What? The politics of fear?? A suitcase with a BOMB??? "Rasputin?! Dress the prisoners in the wetsuit's with the bottoms cut out of them and release the rampant wildebeest!!"

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrometuna wrote:

LOL!!!

I think the noise reduction is more interesting than the voice itself Laughing

And why does the EVP'er's voice sound just like the 'ghosts' voice?

This is heavy scientific stuff- it must be taken very seriously!

otoh, this, really is for real!!;

1-01 The Swedish Rhapsody [G2A].mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  1-01 The Swedish Rhapsody [G2A].mp3
 Filesize:  3.94 MB
 Downloaded:  1895 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: