electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry UD-1 Drum Voice Page Is Up
Page 1 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry UD-1 Drum Voice Page Is Up
Subject description: NE566 based drum voice.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello electro-musicians,

Finally, belatedly got the Thomas Henry UD-1 Drum Voice page up. Schematics, info, etc. No PCB design - anyone feel game?

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id23.html

Cheers,
Scott
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd def. do a PCB but don't have any 566s at the moment....

Oh, that reminds me - I oughta submit my PCB for the XR2206 VCO -- made it about half the size of the orig. version. I've liked the simplicity and power so much that I've made four of them - very great indeed.!.

zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Scott this is great! Those Thomas Henry circuits you present are always exciting, the ducumention is perfect!
I don´t have that chip, but of course any vco/vca can be used. noise as well.
Now whats really new to me is that impact circuitry.
While reading through the text i thought: "great, but this means building another vco/vca/tonecontroll/fixed envelope."
When i saw how it´s done i almost had to lough!
That´s what makes a genius. Suprise with functional simplicity.

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As with most of Thomas' stuff, I am speechless. But posting this will keep me up to speed on this thread! Very Happy
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
Oh, that reminds me - I oughta submit my PCB for the XR2206 VCO -- made it about half the size of the orig. version. I've liked the simplicity and power so much that I've made four of them - very great indeed.!.

Please!
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Heys thanks for all the replies I was away picking up a new ride. Well not new 89 Isuzu Trooper 4WD. My buddy hooked me up. I haven't checked the links yet, but I will. Quote:
and then there is the DS7 clone
you got me there Dnny. Boy I need to get some monies together and finish all the projects I already have.
OK heres another Question. Just say I have 2 DS7'S and an 808 bass drum module, Theres gotta be some kind of hardware to sequence triggers, right? So you can make a beat.

I copied this from my other post. I'm mainly wondering about that last part. Is there some sort of sequencer that has a bunch of triggers so if you have a couple of drum modules you can sequence a beat? It'll be about 10 years before I get caught up enough to start on any of these wonderful Thomas Henry projects.

Thanks again Scott!

zipzap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course there is a way!
Any sequencer circuit, the most simple being the 4017 can be used.
And because i think this is interesting and there are many ways i´ll start another post.

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
Quote:
Of course there is a way!

when there's a will there's a way Embarassed

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

That would be awesome indeed, especially since the original Thomas produced needs a bit of a kludge. If you post, I'd like to link to it from my site, if you don't mind.

That's the last of the TH stuff for this year - I'm hoping next summer he'll go at it again. There were a number of designs he didn't release (I think he's figuring out what to do with them). A phase shifter, another VCO (tri-core) and a filter IIRC. All of them dang effective yet deadnuts easy to build.

Cheers,
Scott
piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
All of them dang effective yet deadnuts easy to build.

better copyright that Scott will be needed for the

MID-WEST 2.0
All of them dang effective yet deadnuts easy to build.

Smile

Robert
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting that on your site! It is indeed very similar to the ADV Bass that he published way back when. On a similar note, I came across his tunable noise gen article while digging around in Nuts and Volts' archive:

http://www.nutsvolts.com/users/downloads/November 1999 Thomas Henry - Build a Tunable Noise Generator.pdf

It's a little chaos oscillator circuit... Buchla on a stick.

Romeo
choklitlove

Audio files: 17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Thanks for posting that on your site! It is indeed very similar to the ADV Bass that he published way back when. On a similar note, I came across his tunable noise gen article while digging around in Nuts and Volts' archive:

http://www.nutsvolts.com/users/downloads/November 1999 Thomas Henry - Build a Tunable Noise Generator.pdf

It's a little chaos oscillator circuit... Buchla on a stick.

Romeo

that's cool. here's that link again:
http://www.nutsvolts.com/users/downloads/November%201999%20Thomas%20Henry%20-%20Build%20a%20Tunable%20Noise%20Generator.pdf
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been trying to hunt around for suppliers of 566s - not many around. I'm even considering getting a large number, using some myself and then selling excess.. But old-stock suppliers seem to want to sell 150 at $5.80 or so which is quite a big investment.....!.....

Just found this page archived too::::

Analog Bass Drum

Mikmo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently saw a local electronics web shop over here had 566's so i ordered 25. Next day he mailed me back that "this is a very outdated IC and we only have a stock of 5 and can not get new supplies - do you want them anyway ?" of course i did. But it was probably the last 5 in the kingdom of Denmark.
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

has anyone actually built the tunable noise gen ?
in that case a soundsample would be much appreciated Smile

cheers
OLLIE
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did anyone ever make a pcb for the ud-1 ?

and as someone said, its very close to the adv-bd design, but with a pitch cv input added

henry did also make a avd-snare, I´d like to see that schemo too, can someone help ?

cheers

OLLIE
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps he would design a Barberpole Phaser next summer!
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the next thing Thomas and Scott should work on is a downloadable time-warp device which will allow me to put the rest of reality on hold for a year or two while I catch up with all of the other projects they keep pumping out! Laughing
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
I've been trying to hunt around for suppliers of 566s - not many around.

I too have had problems finding 566's and that was a while ago.

The 566 is a very interesting little chip.

Tom, if you do get a bulk order in, I'll have a few off you Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synth_ollie wrote:
has anyone actually built the tunable noise gen?

nevermind that, howabout;

Quote:
Finally, if you’re looking for
some other uses for the tunable
noise generator, be sure to check
the Internet site mentioned in the
Parts List. You’ll find modifications
and hints concerning this circuit

Crying or Very sad

the link don't work no more Crying or Very sad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi all,

just designed a PCB layout for use with press'n'peel blue (therefore it's singlesided and has these wide tracks, which is very helpful for this transfer method).
it's not tested, i just made it from the redrawn schematic (all using expressPCB). inside the PDF is the ready to transfer layout, the BOM, the redrawn schematic (for checking) and the silkscreen...
there is room for improvements but i'll do this when i build this UD-1.

EDIT: the server crash removed the attachments. since there is a nice PCB available from sMs i will not upload it again...

Last edited by fonik on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
just designed a PCB layout

great job !

I was just wondering, wouldn´t it be nica to add a noise gen, maybe with som kind of filter to be able to do snare type of sounds ? (thats why I wanted to see the adv-snare schemo, if it had a noise gen...)

OLLIE
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Fonik, It's officially on the Liiiiiiiiist.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
hats why I wanted to see the adv-snare schemo, if it had a noise gen...)

Yes, it uses the tried and true reversed bias transistor junction method then amplifies that with an op-amplifier section. I hand picked the transistor as I noticed that some transistors had "grittier" noise than others. Some transistors even exhibited "flicker" or "popcorn" like noise. OK, I get do get a bit obsessed Very Happy I ended up using a common 2N3906 or something.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
just designed a PCB layout for use with press'n'peel blue (therefore it's singlesided and has these wide tracks, which is very helpful for this transfer method).
it's not tested, i just made it from the redrawn schematic (all using expressPCB). inside the PDF is the ready to transfer layout, the BOM, the redrawn schematic (for checking) and the silkscreen...

Wow, very nice !! I was just wondering, did you use the default board size in ExpressPCB software so that one can get the 3 board for $51.00 deal?

Again, very nice!

Bill
Page 1 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: