electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
g2ools-0.91 nm1 to g2 converter
Page 1 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
qfingers

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: g2ools-0.91 nm1 to g2 converter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

Edit12: Removed version as g2ools-1.0 is out. Goto:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-15405.html

Edit11: Remove invalid text.

This is the first released version of g2ools. It contains a NM1 to G2 converter in a pretty mature state. It's only missing about the Expander module. I need help with documentation, more code, more tools. Someone wanted a DX7 to G2 converter. This package is built with things like this in mind. It should be easy to build from this package.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. You need to install python for your system (www.python.org)
2. You need to run ./nm2g2.py from the directory it's installed.

./nm2g2.py patchfiles/testnm1file.pch

This will create a testnm1file.pch2 g2 patch from the file (if it doesn't have any of the missing modules described above). Plus, the program doesn't handle Mst/Slv grey connections at all. I need some help getting this to work. It seems doable thought (after getting this far).

The program handles modules with 2 pitch modulation by creating a Mixer and routing it to the variable pitch modulation of the G2 module. It creates other module structures to handle various NM1 modules. It also has optimizations of modules based on the output type (audio, control, logic).

There are also 2 small programs: ./nmcat.py and ./g2cat.py that will give a textual output of a NM1 patch and a G2 patch.

I hope to setup a trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) within the next week for the project. I'm sure there are issues but we can work through them. Anyways here it is...

Merry Christmas!!

q

Edit: I fixed the error. Sorry...

Edit2: Ok, I checked it out on XP. Fixed the problem and tested one of my test*.pch files. This time it worked on XP. Thanks for being patient..

Edit3: This file is bigger becuase it has version control files in it. I prefer this. It is using mercurial. It's a clone of the repository. If you want to install mercurial on your machine, you can track the changes. It works on linux, osx, and windows.

Edit4: Title change. New version. This adds processing for osc mst/slv connections. A couple of bug fixes as well.

Edit5: All modules are now converted. Lot's of bug fixes. Patch settings. Various times and frequency parameters now adjusted correctly. All reported bugs fixed. No py2exe version yet. It needs a some work. Please post bug reports. It should be alot more stable. No knobs, morphs, midiccs yet. That's probably next. Also no lfo mst/slv connections.

Edit6: New KbdPatch, LevAmp parameter adjustment, Phaser LFO now modulates frequency, FilterD convertion now uses. 12dB slope.

Edit7: Version Bump, see my reply post.

Edit8: Fixed missing ClkGen Mst

Edit9: Many bugs fixed. Check reply post for changes.

Edit10: Many bugs fixed. Check reply post for changes.

Last edited by qfingers on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:44 pm; edited 13 times in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hard labour, good work !

I'll have look at it, not now though, got some queued up stuff.

re. the grey matter: what do you need to now ? Maybe in a fresh thread ?

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome stuff qfingers, and just in time for Christmas, love it!

Just tried it out on XP though, and I have some bad news. No matter what I try, it always returns the same thing:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nm2g2.py", line 24, in <module>
from nord.g2.file import Pch2File
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nord\g2\file.py", line 26, in <module>
from home import hexdump, bin
ImportError: No module named home

This is with Python 2.5...
qfingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
Awesome stuff qfingers, and just in time for Christmas, love it!

Just tried it out on XP though, and I have some bad news. No matter what I try, it always returns the same thing:

File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nm2g2.py", line 24, in <module>
from nord.g2.file import Pch2File
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nord\g2\file.py", line 26, in <module>
from home import hexdump, bin
ImportError: No module named home

This is with Python 2.5...

Oops!!. I accidentally had some leftovers from debugging the whole thing. Just remove that line from nord/g2/file.py and it should work. I'll create a new release with that removed.

That's a question... Can I edit my original post and change the attached file?

q
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:
... Can I edit my original post and change the attached file?

The user interface is not the best, but, yes you can do both.

Afro88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, cool, I edited out that line. Here's the new one:

C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1>nm2g2.py patchfiles\dreampad.pch
"patchfiles\dreampad.pch"
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nm2g2.py", line 221, in <module>
convert(PchFile(fname))
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nm2g2.py", line 53, in convert
pch2 = Pch2File('./nord/convert/initpatch.pch2')
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nord\g2\file.py", line 1081, in __init__
self.read(fname)
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nord\g2\file.py", line 1099, in read
id,l = struct.unpack('>BH',data[:3])
File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\struct.py", line 87, in unpack
return o.unpack(s)
struct.error: unpack requires a string argument of length 3

edit: Tried a few different patches to make sure this isn't the error when a module that's not there is used. I'll try building a simple osc -> filter -> out patch and see how that goes...

edit2: Nup, still the same error sorry...
qfingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
Ok, cool, I edited out that line. Here's the new one:

C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1>nm2g2.py patchfiles\dreampad.pch
"patchfiles\dreampad.pch"
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nm2g2.py", line 221, in <module>
convert(PchFile(fname))
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nm2g2.py", line 53, in convert
pch2 = Pch2File('./nord/convert/initpatch.pch2')
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nord\g2\file.py", line 1081, in __init__
self.read(fname)
File "C:\Program Files\G2ools 0.1\nord\g2\file.py", line 1099, in read
id,l = struct.unpack('>BH',data[:3])
File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\struct.py", line 87, in unpack
return o.unpack(s)
struct.error: unpack requires a string argument of length 3

edit: Tried a few different patches to make sure this isn't the error when a module that's not there is used. I'll try building a simple osc -> filter -> out patch and see how that goes...

edit2: Nup, still the same error sorry...

Hmmmm. The file it's choking on is something I included. It works here, though I'm running python 2.4 under linux and it works fine. I don't see what the problem would be. Give me a little bit of time. I confess, I didn't test it under XP. I gotta boot my laptop to windows and give it a shot. I should be able to fix it and release it again...

q
qfingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's fixed, I updated my post with the new stuff. These mistakes were one line fixes. Oh well. It's my first major project release. I should have known it was going to have snaggs. Again, thanks for being patient.

q
Afro88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool!! It works! Cheers qfingers!

Thanks for fixing those bugs Very Happy
Afro88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing that I can see that you've missed is connecting the note output of the keyboard module to all the osc's. But for now, I don't mind doing that by hand - this is fantastic!

When you put out the next release, can you let us know how to specify a wildcard so we can do batch conversions? Very Happy

Thanks again, and merry christmas!!
qfingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I've been thinking about the Mst/Slv problem. I think if I create a MasterOsc for every Mst used and set it's frequency settings of the module that contains the Slv output. Then use the pitch output of the MasterOsc and connected to the Slv of all connected modules. For more complicated Mst/Slv connections, this substitution may just work. With others it may not.

How the converter works is there is a converter object for each module. This deteremines the main g2 module to create and use for the convertion. It also grabs various parameters from the NM1 module and sets the appropriate G2 module that are direct convertions (I made alot of assumptions because alot of the parameters were direct convertions). Then it sets up a default array of inputs and outputs of the G2 module that map directly to the inputs and outputs of the NM1 module. After the converter object is done dealing with all that. A routine domodule() is called. This routine is called with all the setup done from above available. Here is where all the customizations are done. For example, I had to create a Mix2-1B for the pitch modulation, but only when both connections were used. It can add and build as many modules as needed for propert convertion. Then the default inputs and outputs array described above can be modified to make the connections to the newly created modules if necessary. These arrays are indexed exatly as the NM1 module when recabling the G2 patch from the NM1 patch.

After all the modules are converted, the recabling takes place. It just goes through the list of cables and using the indexs from the NM1 patch, reconnects the G2 modules based on the input and output arrays above.

Then the uprate (when a module has it's processing rate increased because of it inputs being audio rate) loop is done setting the rates of the outputs of the modules to aid in optimization and cleanup.

Most of the work was all the module converters that needed to be created. I spend alot of my time on those. There are quite a few. But I have them in separate files (one for each NM1 editor tab: inout, osc, lfo, filter, etc..). So each one has around 5 to 20 modules it handles each. If the converters get complicated enough, I may break it down further.

Currently, the knobs, morphs, and MIDI cc's aren't converted. I'm going to work on that soon. It's not that difficult to implement. I did all the really hard stuff first. I just wanted to get this out before Christmas. What I really need (it looks like) are testers. If you're interested, download the source and get it running. My next release may be a .exe based on. There is a python module called py2exe that creates self contained executables from a bunch of python files and data files. The linux version will just be released as source, but I'll include the .exe in the release. I'm looking into that now.

q
qfingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
The only thing that I can see that you've missed is connecting the note output of the keyboard module to all the osc's. But for now, I don't mind doing that by hand - this is fantastic!

When you put out the next release, can you let us know how to specify a wildcard so we can do batch conversions? Very Happy

I didn't connect the Note to the modules that because I thought the G2 modules are connected behind the scenes when KBT is On. This would be better when I get the Mst/Slv stuff working as may I have to use the pitch input for that. Maybe I'll make it an option you can pass to the program to connect the Note outputs.

As far as the batch convertions, I'll look into doing this. Python has a "glob" module that is used to build a set of filenames from patterns like "*.pch". I check into getting it working.

If you want to test more for me with quicker turn around, send me a personal message, we can set up for email back and forth or maybe IM and time to work on this. I'm off work for the week of Christmas to New Year's and I'll have some time (hopefully) to work on it more.

q
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:

I've modified it to do a whole directory, but I'm not sure if I want to post it here, because things can get out of sync with the version control.

If qfingers can provide me with the project information in Mercurial, and how to login to the server, we can do it the right way.

Until then, if anyone wants to try the batch conversion. PM me. (it's only a 1 file change)

I've only tested it on XP, so Mac testers are needed.
Bash and other shells have been known to do strange thigns with wildcard expansion of cmd line args, especially for those of us who don't work with those awesome shells on a regular basis (the BASHful ones) Smile

Last edited by cappy2112 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
qfingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
Afro88 wrote:

I've modified it to do a whole directory, but I'm not sure if I want to post it here, because things can get out of sync with the version control.

If qfingers can provide me with the project information in Mercurial, and how to login to the server, we can do it the right way.

If you installed mercurial, you can create a change set based on the version you have and send it to me. The distribution includes a snapshot of the repository. I'm going to send it for all versions I distribute. This way you can send me a change set. Mercurial provides that capability. Please read the documentation. They have a section on publishing changesets and other things. If you don't want to use mercurial, the create a diff file. Mercurial can read and update my repository based on this. I can merge and release the next version. There is not "central" respository like cvs or svn. This makes it easier for all of us to work on it without having a server. As I posted, I will set up a trac with a mercurial interface hopefully this week. But, right now I've got more updates I want to finish first.

q
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: g2ools-0.1^H2^H3 nm1 to g2 converter release Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:
Hey,

This is the first released version of g2ools.

I have no real need for this program but I just wanted to applaud and express my admiration for your hard work.

qfingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: g2ools-0.1^H2^H3 nm1 to g2 converter release Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
qfingers wrote:
Hey,

This is the first released version of g2ools.

I have no real need for this program but I just wanted to applaud and express my admiration for your hard work.

Maybe not in it's current state. But because other 2ools can be written, the python library may be useful. I'm going to add a linux USB tool to download and manage patches and performances. Maybe even some realtime capabilities, perhaps a G2 to alsa sequencer application (if the G2 sends key presses/releases across the USB channel. So don't count it out just yet. What would you like to see?

q
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A X-mas gift for many G2 owners (who were hoping for a new OS).

I haven't used it yet (but I will, since I have a few 100's of pch files from Papa Nord NM Classic which I sold over a year ago), but I want to thank you, and applaud you for your efforts, qfinders!

An amazing effort for someone who joined electro-music just over a month ago!

/Dasz
ps.: Front 242 might actually consider a G2 now Wink
qfingers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
/Dasz
ps.: Front 242 might actually consider a G2 now Wink

My hope is to keep the G2 alive. It is a fantastic platform. I love the whole setup. I bought my G2X around the time I joined the forum. I've been wanting (or an NM1) about a year before the G2 was released. I missed all those cool patches of the NM1 so I figure, it was time to write a converter. I'm amazed at how well it turned out. It's not complete, but the most of the hard work is over. Now cleanups, features, fixes, etc is all that's left. This was a really fun program to write. It showed me how powerful python is to get something done and done fast. I'll probably release another version tomorrow with my Mst/Slv code that I described in a previous post. I attempted to convert serveral patches from the NM1 collection with little success. With this addition, it should open up a lot more NM1 patches for G2 users.

By the way, I decided not to release the NM1 collection as it's a much bugger project then I have time for. I would prefer to keep this program moving forward.

Well, as I'm thinking about it, I've got another idea for a new tool. How about a Seq to csv (comma separated values) convert and a cvs to Seq converter for easer setup and maintainance of Seq modules? This is painful to handle currently. With the generated (and parsed) csv files, the Seq parameters can be loaded into a Spreadsheet or editor and easily modified and updated. It's a simple app (pair of apps) to write. That's why I named the project "g2ools". I want to provide more then just a converter.

q
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:
Well, as I'm thinking about it, I've got another idea for a new tool. How about a Seq to csv (comma separated values) convert and a cvs to Seq converter for easer setup and maintainance of Seq modules? This is painful to handle currently. With the generated (and parsed) csv files, the Seq parameters can be loaded into a Spreadsheet or editor and easily modified and updated. It's a simple app (pair of apps) to write. That's why I named the project "g2ools". I want to provide more then just a converter.

q

too much coffee cheers thumb up santa bounce

JLS

Audio files: 30
G2 patch files: 316

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great GREAT JOB very THANKS Smile

P.S. my idea for new G2 tools

Live G2 Editor with plugins like mutator ....

- time line for modulation parameter ( ideal for noodle patches )
- extended note and gate sequencer ( for long music phrase )
- fractator ( like mutator but fractal algo )
- and more Smile

Kamil
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: g2ools-0.1^H2^H3 nm1 to g2 converter release Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

Maybe not in it's current state. But because other 2ools can be written, the python library may be useful. I'm going to add a linux USB tool to download and manage patches and performances. Maybe even some realtime capabilities, perhaps a G2 to alsa sequencer application (if the G2 sends key presses/releases across the USB channel. So don't count it out just yet. What would you like to see?

Well, I have long held that the G2 should support OSC.

My reasoning is that back when the NM was new there was little competition if we are talking about realtime digital modular synthesis. Very little competition with regard to modular synthesis that's afordable on a musician's budget as well.

At the time of the G2 this has obviously changed, there are loads of systems which is cool because you can mix&match and interconect them. The G2, however, of the curent generation, is the only one that doesn't interconect that well. It only does MIDI in&out. MIDI is wonderfull for many things but it's sloooooooooow and limited.

However; we have the USB connection that's way faster which would be usable if reverse engineered. What I think would be a great asset to the G2 would be a program that would pretend to be the editor from the G2's perspective and that's soley concerend with setting values. This program could then interface to OSC and/or a VSTi/AU/whatever. This plugin wouldn't generate any sound (though it may need to generate silence in order to fool the host).

Frankly I think Clavia should have done this from the beginning; if you have all the doc's and the source it can't be that hard to make the editor double as a OSC client. Using OSC would enable HID controll of important parameters at decent rates and perhaps more interestingly you could intergrate pc programs with G2 patches leaving each to do what they are good at. Right now pc's are very good at some things (like shuffeling numbers around in arbitrary ways) that the G2 sucks at while the G2 is quite good at low latency DSP, much better so then most pc's, especially once audio-rate feedback gets involved.

Tricking the G2 into behaving like a OSC client would open a world of wonders. Then again; in all honesty one could wonder how large the need for this is amongst the average G2 owner since so far they've been getting by with just MIDI just fine; it's just what I think would be a amazing feature and a good idea in general, partially with a eye on open extendability by people who don't speak Python.

qfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:

I looked into this further and it worked for me. Could you send me a sample patch? It probably just a one line mistake if anything.

I did have some problems with KBT. My data for G2 module parameters wasn't setting it by default. I currently don't handle KBT with values other then Off and Key. To make fully work is going to require an extra LevAmp module connected with an input from Note output of a Keyboard module, and the LevAmp modules output to the Pitch input of the OscX module. I will probably create a separate Keyboard module for starters (the G2 allows multiple Keyboard modules). Should it be something I do automatically? It's alot of code but if it's really important, I'll do it. I'm not sure how many patches use different KBT settings other then Off and Key. I'm sure there are a few.

q
qfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

megerov wrote:
Great GREAT JOB very THANKS Smile

P.S. my idea for new G2 tools

Live G2 Editor with plugins like mutator ....

- time line for modulation parameter ( ideal for noodle patches )
- extended note and gate sequencer ( for long music phrase )
- fractator ( like mutator but fractal algo )
- and more Smile

Kamil

I did have an idea of a embedded computer (they are getting pretty cheap) that could give you more live playing capabilities. All you need is a USB host controller. I build embedded linux for my day job so it seems like a nice fit. Plus, Kassen's suggestion about an OSC interface would be better served with something like this. I can get a pretty cheap embedded PC ($200) with network support and USB controller then some really interesting things could be done.

I do have much of the USB protocol reverse engineered already. I focused my attention on the converter but I'm going to get back to the USB procotol once the converter is more mature.

q
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a great work and I praise your work in this great project. I haven't used python ever but now I see a reason to start using it. Smile

By the way, a NL2 / NL3 to G2 patch converter would be great. I know that the differences between architectures make impossible for the G2 to sound exactly like a NL2 or NL3, but at least a basic conversion that puts the patch on the right track would be very handy, given the lots of patches already created for both the NL2 and NL3.

I'm still amazed with this instrument, I experiment with it every day and I haven't touched my Motif ES since I got this dream machine. It is really the work of a genius team, although not perfect but I guess that there's anything perfect anywhere.

Just imagine what could be possible if the users were able to make their own modules right in DSP / editor code!

qfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:

Just imagine what could be possible if the users were able to make their own modules right in DSP / editor code!

Well, I've been thinking about that but in a different fashion. The Playstation 3 has a processor called a Cell processor that is geared towards redicoulous speeds as far as DSP goes. It'll do 204GFlops which is a lot more then the G2 gives even expanded. Toshiba demos decoding 40 mpeg video streams simultaneously on an 8 SPE Cell (I think the PS3 has a 6 SPE Cell). Because linux runs on it and there are libraries available to utilize the DSP processors on them, I was thinking of buying one and creating a modular type synth with this bad boy. At $500 for that much processing power, it's a steal. An open source realtime modular synth with that much power would be so cool. I gotta pay off the G2X I got first, but this is may be my next project.

q
Page 1 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: