electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Various Artists ~ 2014 Autumnal Equinox ~ live streaming radio ~
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
High quality sampler circuit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gmeredith

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: High quality sampler circuit? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there any chips or circuits for a recorder that samples at more than the ISD chips maximum 8kHz rate, maybe somewhere around 15K would be good? Or can the ISD recorder chips be reclocked to sample around this speed?

Cheers, Graham
zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is that old book by dieter doepfer called "Sound sampler". It´s really old school, modular 12bit sampler, well explained. Most of the circutry may still be up to date, although i guess there are better chips by now. Found it in the library and it tought me haow a sampler is constructed. Maybe by now things are realized completly different, so this hint might be bullshit.
I was also searching the web, but didn´t really find anything. I would like to have a little (lofi) sampler module in my modular that can tune to 1v/oct and that can mod the start/end point of the loop. I read about some of the voice recorder chips, and they all seem to have big limitations.
gmeredith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just found this ISD chip, from the Winbond site:

http://www.winbond-usa.com/mambo/content/view/160/290

It has variable sample rate from 4 - 12KHz, recording time 26 - 120 seconds. That's getting kind of useful in quality. Anyone made one using this?

cheers, Graham
zipzap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I read somewhere that these chips always have a short delay before they start recording or playback. Maybe not with this one though. Do you know the price of that chip?
gmeredith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't been able to find anyone with a price on them. According to the Winbond site, they've only just released them in April 2006, so maybe distributers haven't had many requests for them yet to advertise them.
As for the delay, Apparently that depends on the way you set them up, and the output device. According to the specs the actual response time is in the order of milliseconds. All of the ISD chips are like this, even the old 1416 chip, which I have, and I notice an appreciable delay when using the output to run a relay, for example.

These new chips look promising, you can even buy a pre-built test board that connects via USB to your computer to load wav files, set loop points, etc.

Cheers, Graham
zipzap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well that does sound promising! If you get one of those and build something please tell us how it went. I would like to have that dog bark and the breaking window in my drumbox!
gmeredith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"..dog bark and the breaking window.."
Ahh! Where would we be without the 80's Laughing

I'm planning to shoehorn one of these or more into my Casio SK8 to make it into a mega-loop sampler. This new chip also has a better sampling rate than the casio as well, good for percussion sounds.

Cheers, Graham
Gimpoid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds good g, something i have also been thinking about .any links on the web you know ,for some extra info. Twisted Evil
p.s nice to meet y`all Very Happy
gmeredith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Gimpoid,

Here is a link to the demo board you can buy from Winbond, the ISD chip manufacturer:

The ISD-ES-1700-USB-PB
Evaluation System for ISD1700 Series

http://www.winbond-usa.com/mambo/content/view/45/140/#ES17xxUSB

This board is an already functioning message recorder/sampling board, already built. You can connect it to a computer via USB and upload samples, set loop points, etc. It also functions as a stand-alone board, running off batteries, with an external speaker.

Cheers, Graham
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: