electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> mosc Chez mosc - tonight, Twyndyllyngs live
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Blofeld fx
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
crofter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Blofeld fx Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've noticed some of the patches have an unpleasant fizzey sort of sound that continues after the main sound finishes after releasing a key, I've pinned this down to the phaser effect, if I bypass this or change it to flanger the unpleasant artifact disappears, anyone else have this?
crofter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not very chatty round here are we?, any other forum and someone would have at least tried to sell me some frozen fish Laughing
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 143
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Laughing

the question may a bit ... I mean no one could really answer "no" ... but then again if "yes" stays away long enough that might be a factual "no" Wink

Erm ... I don't have a blofeld BTW ... so I really wouldn't know.

Muied Lumens
Stream Operator

Audio files: 239

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Crofter! Smile

I have heard that there is a fizzy quality to the phaser, which may be a bug. At least i think it was the phaser...

I don't have one either, but the place to go is the waldorf list, here:

http://www.waldorf-forum.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/user-forum

It is not an official waldorf forum, but some of the beta testers and professionals use it, and it is fairly good imo.

Check out the archives or register if you haven't already.

rob

crofter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Lemmons old boy, a friendly face at last, thanks for the link, I'll have a look.
rh2y

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Blofeld fx Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crofter wrote:
I've noticed some of the patches have an unpleasant fizzey sort of sound that continues after the main sound finishes after releasing a key, I've pinned this down to the phaser effect, if I bypass this or change it to flanger the unpleasant artifact disappears, anyone else have this?

Check that you're running the latest firmware. I know that the phaser effect is specifically addressed in one of the updates.

crofter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the latest firmware and sound set, I've also reinstalled both, the problem seems confined to patches in the sound set, I've tried applying the phaser effect to patches that don't have it already and all seems fine, very strange.
xjscott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might help if you said which patches in particular you hear this in.
crofter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I first noticed this on the DeepSpace 9 and Space Echo patches
xjscott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hear a sort of metallic squeal at a particular frequency at the tail end of A14 DS9. It goes away when I turn off the phaser.

I hear the same squeal in A33 Space Echo, but it is there even when the phaser is off, and mid-sound rather than post release, so it must be due to phaser in one and not in the other??

I'm not sure if this is what you mean though. I heard more squeal than fizzy, which I'd think fizzy is like a soda can listened to up close after opening.

Space Echo after playing a while started getting weird sounding, reseting the patch returned it to normal. Sometimes this happens and I wonder if things got some strange control message.

Is any of this what you are meaning?

The sounds are most all so strange I never know if anything is sounding like it is supposed to anyway.
crofter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of the patches are a bit strange and do seem to change character after a while, as someone who likes evolving tones perhaps I shouldn't complain Laughing , both the patches I mentioned have a high pitched Fzzz sound that tails off after the main body of the sound ends, well they don't now as I've saved them without the phaser effect, particularly the A14 DS9 a nice dark pad was spoiled by the Fzzzz which just sounded wrong to me anyway.
Synthluver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Blofeld is not perfect. People are demanding.

I also was taken back by a few side effects on some patches. Did not play much with the effects. My opinion is that that they crammed so many things (algorythms) into this tiny box (too much to be perfect one would say) it is almost unbelievable. Now if I was not entirely pleased at first, the little white box has grown on me for what it does good, the once-in-while-not-so-good does not bother me much anymore. It was well worth the money.

They are also steadily working on firmware. That must account for somehing.
xjscott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you feel that people here are being too demanding?
Synthluver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was a generic comment. As far as people here goes, hummm... I joined this forum.. hummm was it 36.. no I think 38 hours ago.

I have 25 years experience writing firmware and interface protocols for scientific instruments and DSP routines. I know what goes on under the hood. The Blofeld interface is brilliant. But they suffer from trying to put too much, some things are bound not to be perfect.

It's easy, programmatically to route anything to anything, but that does not mean it should be done. Take the Mopho for instance : there are 45 destinations for the sequencer (but strangely, not to midi). Why so many? What for? Then people complain it is not working as THEY expected to and why won't they fix that. Then it turns out limitations comes from harware. All good time wasted.

I try to keep my expectations and demands realistic. People are right to be demanding when it counts. I just had a brush with a synth company that has one single flaw in one of its product, but of gigantic proportion. The company is not responding. I am not thrilled.

I would have a wish list and arm and a leg long for the (not perfect) Blofeld. Yet, i admire the product and the fact they are working hard on it. I am satisfied.

Software itself is another discussion altogether. Tough business. The software guy is always the one doing the work to patch up for hardware deficiencies. You'd be surprised about what goes into firmware. Recent years in PC computing have steered people into very fancy looking gadgets, emoticons and cool looks (which is a computing specialty by itself), but even worse, into the illusion that software should be free (or almost) and of course cool looking. There's a lot of work involved in programming a quality product.

In the few months I have been interested in synths, I have written my own librarian (works with the 8 synths that I own). I also have written my own VST, it does a few neat tricks no other does, and some cool utilities (like control of my daw software through midi from my BCR 2000 controller). All these are pretty good, if I may say so, however, the visual interface is way below current industry standards. Sometimes I feel like sharing some of the work I've done. Actually, I tried that in the past in areas other than music. In the end, people expected the product they wanted, not the product I wrote. And I got blasted. I don't need this kind of aggravation, especially at no pay. So my music software stays on my computer. No one knows about it, no one complains, and I have more time for earning a good dollar (not to mention playing music) for products I commission to big companies that get what they paid for (realistic expectations since they follow a commercial agreement), and everyone is happy Smile

Sorry people if I got sucked into this and bore you to death. My own fault. But more than a one-liner was needed to express my point of view.

(The pic included shows my wav analyser playing a Moog Voyager Taurus bass patch, showing waveforms and harmonics in the spectrum domain. It records in stereo at any sample rate, tapping directly into the sound card, no third party software required... my own daw. It can also turn a sound source from a monophonic instrument into a note midi file. It was written in two days, not including the wav-to-midi-routine. Plain looking but effective)

wavanalyzer.jpg
 Description:
see text
 Filesize:  87.83 KB
 Viewed:  193 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

wavanalyzer.jpg

msy2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very interesting software. would love to see more.
pizzamon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The effects on the blo are known to be pretty poor. I think most would like to see the effects nixed and devoted to other things. The chorus being the one exception.
Oli

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Synthluver wrote:
I have 25 years experience writing firmware and interface protocols for scientific instruments and DSP routines. I know what goes on under the hood. The Blofeld interface is brilliant. But they suffer from trying to put too much, some things are bound not to be perfect.

But more than a one-liner was needed to express my point of view.

Hey, interesting post. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm also a designer by profession, though more in the hardware side of things, and only a few years experience. I write firmware for small embedded systems too, though I think nothing of the level of sophistication of what you have been doing, so far. I'm trying to get more involved with software design, as custom hardware is becoming less feasible/attractive as generic embedded products develop. Probably most of the effort I put into hardware design, is for solutions where people want to plug anything into anything. There are usually compromises involved.

I share your point of view on the Blofeld. I think it is really great value for money, and there is a bug fix firmware release due later this month. Can't complain about that.

I think the Blofeld effects have their good points. On board effects are very rarely up to stand alone modules. One can't expect the world on a plate. It is a very reasonably priced product. I think the saturation curves can sound fantastic. One member posted a great sample of this to the Waldorf user list recently.

I've always wanted to get my hands on the big Q synth, but the Blofled is probably a very good substitute, and much more affordable. Not so many knobs, but a very usable GUI.

Cheers,

Oli

Synthluver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your comments, although a bit late (I don't visit here often).

I have been showing the wavanalyser (in it's now much more advanced version, not geared for audio) to some people lately, and it is generating interest to say the least.

I am now considering releasing a scaled back (and free) audio version of it, with a simpler up to the point look. Just a cool tool for people to record instruments and play back .wav files, and watch waveforms playing back.

Any interest?
Oli

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I would love to have a look at your wavanalyser. Tools are like toys for we technical people. Cool

I'm getting my first hardware sampler soon, so I may also have some practical use for this.

Cheers mate,

Oli

P.S. Perhaps some Blofeld and Nord Wave owners may also have interest in this. I don't have a Blofeld (yet), though it is definitely on my list.

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be very interested in a wav analysis tool. I especially like some of the things your tool extracts, which could be useful for looking at reverb tails, etc. Great for analyzing field recordings Wink
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: