electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 more variations
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 608

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: G2 more variations Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems a few G2 owners would like more patch variations. I generally feel that 8 is enough but can see how more could be useful, especially for compositions (variations on sequencer patterns etc).
Here are my thoughts on how it could be implemented on the current hardware without much pain; I suspect that all the firmware code is in flash memory.

Press the [Shift] key, one of the 8 VARIATION LED's blink indicating which 'variation bank' is selected. While holding down shift, press a button from 1-8 to change bank. A new variation will not be active until you press the second digit (which of the 8 variations in the new bank you want).
Changing variations within a bank is performed exactly as it is now but you have 8 banks of 8 or 64 variations. Managing banks on the editor is easy, just add a dropdown or similar. The midi CC70 (I think) can handle up to 128 variations so no problem there.
If not done already, variations should be compressed (unused variations/banks take no additional memory).
The textpad buffer overrun bug should probably be addressed first Wink . And creating those new modules should take precedence.
Do any of the G1 users remember how long it typically takes between minor version upgrades?
huffcw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like this idea! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is an excellent suggestion also, but I'm not so bummed by only 8 variations. Still, you suggest a way it might be done in a way that is compatilbe with the current system.

As for upgrades, when the G1 was new, software upgrades were coming out pretty frequently, every few months. Then they just stopped cold. Crying or Very sad

I know they are in the beta test phase for the OSX stuff now. I expect there will be an synth upgrade and an editor upgrade soon when they get that nailed down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 150
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

As for upgrades, when the G1 was new, software upgrades were coming out pretty frequently, every few months. Then they just stopped cold. :cry:

I remeber it more like upgrades coming in sets, a major upgrade then within months a minor update, and another one, then silence for a year or more and then a major again.

After all we've, well I've, had 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.01, 3.03 which is an average of about one a year ... a version one point something was also released but that's hard to remember - except for the 40 module limit, how could we live with that ...

The improvements made over the various software versions make me rather hopefull as to what the G2 eventually will be. If only I could buy the damned thing ...

Greets,

jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd trust Jan's memory about this better than my own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: