electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Theremax CV's Too much for Soundlab????
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Theremax CV's Too much for Soundlab????
Subject description: I don't know do you
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wondering, I run mine off batteries. It says the Theremax puts out 0 to 4/5 volts. Is this a safe range?
Budgrubber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it's tuned properly your theremax should be well within the safety zone. I use my sound lab and theremax a lot and the work really well together. I've even considered building a new one of each and mounting them in the same case for a hybrid theminosynth.
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperKoopa has an SLMS and a Theramax built together and they seem to play nice together. There's a thread with a video. Other than that, I'm not too savvy on the theramax, but 4-5V should be fine for SLMS.
-justin
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks y'all, Sooperkoopa's run's on 12V though. So I'm guessing the Osc can probably handle alittle more.
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so soundlab can run on 12+/-?? if it runs on that current are there any changes in circuit design?
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I run mine on +/-12V and it's fine. I haven't adjusted any values, but then again I haven't tried playing it in a situation where tuning mattered. I don't think it would make any difference anyway though. You might find that controls which feed a CV into a module may go beyond beyond, but that would be fairly easy to rectify by adding a resistor in series with the CW terminal.
SuperKoopa

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't worry Zebra! the SL is strong enough !

Any modulating source on the soundlab have a wide range ( i.e. LFO with square waveform and maximum output is +/- 10 V and AR gen too ,with maximized output is +/- 10 V)

If you use the 0-4V range of the theremax you can't take advantage of the VCF and the VCA (i.e. You can't reach minimum and maximum volumes on VCA)

I've used this little circuit to amplify the 0-4V range to -10 / +10 V

theremin buffer.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.33 KB
 Viewed:  3149 Time(s)

theremin buffer.JPG

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for advice and the circuit will have to find a final enclosure for the theremin and get to it.
sohcahtoa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what are the requirements of the soundlab CV inputs, koopa you say -10 to 10 volts, the batteries for your soundlab are -12 to +12 right. So are you feeding in a smallhttp://www.electro-music.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=17394er signal.

But if I run CV out from a PAIA midi to CV kit it will spit out 0 to 5 volts from my understanding.
I also have read that the standard CV range is 0V to 5V where middle C is defined as 3.250 V.

Is the above description of CV incorrect?

Ray Wilson has a CV design that works with -12 and +12 volts, and I am assuming that this is correct, and works properly with a soundlab or any of his various modules, is this a correct assumption?

As long as we are on the topic of CV, is CV a DC voltage? and are there current requirements for it?

on a completely different note koopa there is a band called "Koop" and they do some electronic stuff their older stuff especially, anyways they do a really good track with Ane Brun an Norwegian singer. www.myspace.com/koop the track with Ane is "Koop Island Blues"
SuperKoopa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CV is eveything! Cool
It can be DC or AC but if you want a costant frequency note you must to use DC voltages,that`s true.
I said that LFO and AR puts out +/- 10 V ,that`s true if you use a +/-12 V power supply.
If you use a +/- 9V power supply, AR and LFO output probably will be +/-7V.

0- 5 V Is a keyboard standard for 1Volt per octave VCOs.it implies that with this range you can play 5 Octaves.
+/- 10 V implies that you can play 20 Octaves!!!! Have you ever seen a 20 Octaves Keyboard?
If you do send me a pic , it must be an awesome piece of art! Very Happy
+/- 10 V is used primarily to control VCF and VCA but you can also control a VCO.

I think that direct experimentation on your SL is better than 1000 posts on this forum. You need just a tester. Don`t worry , when I say that SL is strong enough I`m SERIOUS.I`ve literally tortured it! I`ve put all kind of voltages on every holes and nothing has burned.
SuperKoopa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

almost forgot thanks for the link!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: