electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
TH LFO controller range
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: TH LFO controller range Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, in the process of building a TH LFO controller. Made various mods to run on +/- 12V, but I also planned to incorporate a range switch, and to reduce the range of adjustment of the rate pot. So instead of C3 being 4n7, I've used a switch to switch between a 1n and a 10n cap. That works fine.

I've tried to reduce the range of frequencies on R57 by reducing it from a 100k pot to a 10k pot, and putting a 100k resistor in between the top end of the pot and pin 7 of IC1b ( in other words, to keep roughly the same overall resistance between pin 7 and ground via the feedback loop of R57/R1). I've found I've had to increase R1 to about 500R to prevent stalling. The reduced range pot works but with a smaller range than I had expected from an LTspice simulation. With 1n it varies from about 20Hz (just about visibly flickering) down to about 2 Hz, and with 10n, from about 1Hz to 0.2Hz, whereas I was expecting (and had simulated) a greater and overlapping range.

I must admit I don't really understand how the various resistors function to determine the frequency of operation. I gather that they determine the rate of charging of the timing capacitor, which ramps up the voltage on pin 1 and thus pin 5, eventually causing the comparator to flip, thereby reversing the current flow, but not how R57, R1 and R64 interact.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Peter
elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't really speak to LTSpice simulation, but if you have a 100K between the pot and IC1b, you basically have set the fastest rate to the maximum of the original circuit. I would do something more like a 50K resistor there and a 50K pot, or an 80K resistor and a 20K pot....
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: