electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Klee Midi
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
slo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Klee Midi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know Fonik had a thread going somewhere to integrate midi to the Klee, and I think he did indeed do it. I have built this little sync board for a Dr-55 Dr.Ryhthmn and it works great. I was thinking it would be a simple SDIY approach to add midi clock to the Klee. I'm a little hazy on how the Klee starts and stops, haven't studied the schematic yet, but I'm sure this little fella could do the trick.
What do you guys think?
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ben.riggs/electronics/synthdiy/bossdr55.html

Last edited by slo on Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The page you are looking for cannot be found.
slo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, try now

George
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 143
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fixed the link.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 143
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
I fixed the link.

Guess we both did Laughing

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey George,

The signal will clock the Klee. Just remember, unmerged gate bus gatge signals will only be as wide as the on time of the signal clocking the Klee. IE, if that clock signal is 5 mS wide, so will your unmerged gate bus gate signal. Trigger outputs will generally be unaffected.

It's not just a matter of thinking "OK, I'll just merge the gate busses", because that function will merge the gate signals as per the "Know the Klee" doc. It's fine for 16X1 single bit sequencing, and 8X2 single bit sequencing with judicious assignment of the gate bus outputs (both with the exception of the Master Gate output), but once you get into Klee Patterns (more than one bit), things are never what they seem.

If you have a circuit that will convert those MIDI triggers to wider times for gating, that would work fine.

Cheers,
Scott

urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahk, I thought this thread was going to be about a Klee with MIDI output.

I don't have enough voltage controlled gear to do anything with a Klee yet. Embarassed Crying or Very sad
midgetfidget

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

from memory the midibox platform can convert analogue cv to midi, would be handy to be able to sequence midi stuff.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My, my - that would be cool indeed!
slo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites said:
Quote:
unmerged gate bus gatge signals will only be as wide as the on time of the signal clocking the Klee.

Yes, thanks Scott, forgot about this little detail, I remember reading about it in "Know the Klee" and this is what gives the Klee some of it's unusual nature. I 'm going to have to think about this some more. Meanwhile, I have a Klee to build, started on the panel, everything else on the back burner.

George
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems to me State Machine and/or Fonik might have some ideas on getting gate signals out. Dang it, I'm certain I've discussed this with someone else by PM as well.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Seems to me State Machine and/or Fonik might have some ideas on getting gate signals out. Dang it, I'm certain I've discussed this with someone else by PM as well

If I understand things correctly, the proposal has been made to use the Klee as MIDI sequencer?

If one were using the Klee to control a MIDI based synthesizer then a couple things would have to be done. First, the GATE lead and trail edges would be utilized to signal the necessary generation of MIDI NOTE ON and NOTE OFF messages. The time interval that brackets these events would sound the note in the MIDI controlled synthesizer. Additionally, since NOTE ON/OFF commands are composed of 3 bytes of data, other information such as NOTE NUMBER representing the pitch of course and NOTE VELOCITY or note loudness would also have to be generated. The note number could be a digital representation of hte CV A,B or A+B outputs. This is the area in which the Klee shines so not capturing these CV's inot the MIDI data stream would be a shame. The velocity can be fixed but probably will sound a bit static so something would have to done with that. This parameter may not be as important since the synthesizer being controlled can put hte additional dynamics onto the sound.

http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tutorial/tutor.shtml

Note On / Note Off / Velocity

In MIDI systems, the activation of a particular note and the release of the same note are considered as two separate events. When a key is pressed on a MIDI keyboard instrument or MIDI keyboard controller, the keyboard sends a Note On message on the MIDI OUT port. The keyboard may be set to transmit on any one of the sixteen logical MIDI channels, and the status byte for the Note On message will indicate the selected Channel number. The Note On status byte is followed by two data bytes, which specify key number (indicating which key was pressed) and velocity (how hard the key was pressed).

The key number is used in the receiving synthesizer to select which note should be played, and the velocity is normally used to control the amplitude of the note. When the key is released, the keyboard instrument or controller will send a Note Off message. The Note Off message also includes data bytes for the key number and for the velocity with which the key was released. The Note Off velocity information is normally ignored.

Hope this helps a bit ....
Bill

Last edited by State Machine on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
My, my - that would be cool indeed!

well, It IS possible Wink Cool

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/index2.htm

(edit; stupid flash nonsense- look for RS300 Very Happy )

edit (again); you can tell how tired I am! Shocked Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

Last edited by v-un-v on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
stupid flash nonsense- look for RS300

Tom, now that is an absolutly fantastic module that would most likely fit the bill man !!!! Real nice find !!! Cool The Klee CV's can be inserted into the message with ease it seems!!

Bill
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The RS300 has been on my 'hit list' for a while (so have those two lovely looking VCS3 modules also Cool Cool Cool )

Yes AS are the British version of Blacet! Cool But AS do some really tasty modules too!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: