electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Associative Arrays: how to detect undefined?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
diskonext

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Associative Arrays: how to detect undefined? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love associative arrays, but in ChucK I foresee having the following problem:
Code:

int iArray[0];

0 => iArray["zero"];
1 => iArray["one"];

if ( iArray["zero"] == iArray["undefined"] ) {
        <<< "Houston we have a problem" >>>;
}

Which will print "Houston we have a problem", because the value for an 'undefined' array entry is 0 in the int case (and 0.0 in the float case).
This means there is no way to detect whether it was set to 0 or whether it was *not* set. In the float case you can work around this by defining ZERO to be 0.00000001 or something like that, but in the int case it is more worrying.

I would hope for something like NULL (C style) or undef (perl style) to distinguish the case. Or perhaps (uglier) array_key_exists(iArray, "zero") i PHP style?

Or am I missing something?

renderful

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This works:

Code:

int iArray[0];

0 => iArray["zero"];
1 => iArray["one"];

if ( !iArray["zero"] ) {
    <<< "Houston we have a problem" >>>;
}

The !Array["zero"] is the key.
Antimon

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, arrays of non-primitives will return null if using an index that doesn't reference a set value (check the end of the associative arrays section in the manual here: http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/language/array.html#assoc), so if you feel the need to know if an index has been used or not, encapsulate your value in a class.

/Stefan

renderful

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

array["key'] == 0 works as well
diskonext

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon: thank you, that would work - although I prefer not to encapsulate ints and floats for this reason alone

Renderful: not quite sure what you mean? You seem to underline the problem as I want to be able to distinguish between 0 (the value) and 0 (the undefined key) - but can not do that at the moment, unless I use Antimon's trick.

I would like to be able to throw an associative array at an instrument that has many control points (FiltAfreq, FiltAQ, OscBGain, OscBPhase &c) and leave values undefined if I don't want to change them:

I would then loop over all potential commands to find out which ones need changing - with the current mechanism I could either never use 0 as a value, or I would set many parameters to 0 if not specified in the 'command' array.

I personally think that the NULL behaviour should be used for associative arrays of all types - or have a command to check for the existence of the key.

renderful

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I understand now.
Antimon

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure I agree that you should be able to get NULL from an int[] array - I feel that would go against the notion of a primitive variable which shouldn't be able to be NULL. It can be useful to have a default value of zero as well. However, I can definitely see a need to be able to retreive the set of used keys for an array so you could do something like this:

array.keys() @=> KeySet keys;

if (keys.contains("FiltAfreq")) {
array["FiltAfreq"] => filterA.freq;
}

Maybe this already exists somewhere, just not in the docs?

/Stefan

diskonext

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Either that or a keys() function that exports an array of existing keys to be used in a for-loop.

I had some discussions here in the office and the consensus was that NULL (or any other special bit sequence indicating an undefined value) is not always a good method, especially for the native types.

cbit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was looking for a way of iterating over the associative portion of an array who's keys are not known. But as I gather from this discussion, array objects don't currently provide a way of finding out what their associative keys are, that's a pity. (subscribes to thread).
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: