electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Am I able to use organ and piano sounds on a nord lead 2x?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JoshHodes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Am I able to use organ and piano sounds on a nord lead 2x? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys

I am in a reggae/dub/hip-hop/rock group and I play a Rhodes. The Rhodes is incredible in so many ways but I'm looking for a decent synth to put on top of the rhodes for the more hop-hop stuff we do, and of course dub loves some synth! In addition I need one that can make piano sounds for the reggae skanks in certain tunes and organ for everything!

So, my question is can a Nord Lead 2x produce organ and piano sounds on top of all of it's synth capabilities?
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say 'not really'...

For organ sounds see
http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/020_NordLead2/Red_Lady/Index_bestanden/Red_Lady/Pseudo_synthese_index.htm
at the end of article 1

Wout
melmac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi JoshHodes,

I wrote some months ago:

melmac wrote:

...please allow me to add just some thoughts that came to me during this discussion. Perhaps they can help you with your decision.

My opinion is:
•The Nord Lead (which ever) is definitely not designed as an instrument to reproduce natural musical instruments or samples.
•The Nord Lead is a “pure” synthesizer, i.e. an electronic device, controlled by a keyboard, to produce/create sounds based on the classical synthesizer “raw material” like oscillators, modulation sources, filters, amplifier, envelopes etc., and it also has a classical “user interface” = knobs for each parameter. (Therefore there are no weighted keys Wink - it is a synthesizer, not a piano! – and also no effect section.)
•Of course, you are able to build up sounds that are similar to string, brass, Rhodes, organ sounds and so on.

It is - in fact - amazing what kind of sounds you can get out of the NL(2X): organ-like and Rhodes-like sounds. But forget a "real" piano sound or a "real" tonewheel organ sound (I'd prefer a Nord Electro Very Happy ).

If money doesn't play any role: Think about a Nord Wave where you can load in own samples or a lot of files from Clavia.

Hava a good night,
melmac
JoshHodes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

okay and is the nord rack the same engine as the leads?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes.

Try the Wave (also a good synthesizer part)
or the Electro 3

Wout
immortality10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: electro 2 as a synth as well? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Yes.

Try the Wave (also a good synthesizer part)
or the Electro 3

Wout

Ive been searching online all day for a review/description on the Nord ELECTRO 3 vs. the LEAD 2x, vs. the WAVE...wow, there's a lot of info out there.
but this thread seems to be leading to the info that I need...

My goal is to get the one that can give me some "decent" (or any, for that matter) piano sounds as well as some weird synth sounds. I play live and I like to get a typical Roland polysynth, for example, and mess around with the effect knobs on stage, then the next song switch to a simple piano/strings sound.

Can I do such at thing with any of these. Nord Wave seems to be a tad over my budget at the moment.

thank you!!! I'm new here (and with Nord anything) so go easy on me with the acronyms LOL Smile

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome immortality10

I think you will be here a very long time Wink

Wout
anotherscott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: electro 2 as a synth as well? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

immortality10 wrote:
My goal is to get the one that can give me some "decent" (or any, for that matter) piano sounds as well as some weird synth sounds. I play live and I like to get a typical Roland polysynth, for example, and mess around with the effect knobs on stage, then the next song switch to a simple piano/strings sound.

Can I do such at thing with any of these. Nord Wave seems to be a tad over my budget at the moment.

The even pricier Nord Stage will give you high quality piano and a lot of synth capability. The Wave has better synth capability, but only minimal piano functionality. The slightly less expensive Electro 3 (not Electro 2) has high quality piano and a bunch of downloadable synth sounds (Moog, Roland, Prophet, etc.)... you can't build synth sounds from scratch, but you can alter them in a limited fashion with effects knobs.

There aren't too many analog-style knobby synths that also have at least passable piano sounds. Nord Stage and Nord Wave are about it... maybe the Waldorf Blofeld. You might also want to consider the possibility of two keyboards. You could get a strong piano and a strong synth that way, if that's all you need, for less money than getting them both in one board. Some possibilities:

Yamaha P-95 piano plus a Roland Gaia SH-01.

Or a Casio PX-3 and a Micro-Korg. You could drive the Korg from the PX-3 so you're not stuck with only having to use the korg's mini-keys, and the PX-3 is very flexible in its ability to control and layer its sounds with external devices. The Korg is so small and light, it's almost like you're not even dealing with a second keyboard, you could probably even velcro it to the top right of the PX-3.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, organ sxounds on the NordLead.
At http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/020_NordLead2/Red_Lady/Index_bestanden/Red_Lady/Special_Pseudo_Additive_Synthesis_01.htm
at the end of the page you'll find short examples of the factory organ Performances in the NordLead2 (early version)
Click the speaker.

BTW only a single NordLead, no FX.

Wout
anotherscott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Well, organ sxounds on the NordLead.

Yes, you can get some workable organ sounds out of pretty much anything mentioned (some better than others, of course). Piano is tougher.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: