electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Help with Micro Q Power Supply/Plug Pack
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
NordGas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Help with Micro Q Power Supply/Plug Pack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
I scored a Micro Q today, but with no power supply (the guy had a 120V one running from a step down for use in Australia on 240V).
My choice was to take the 120V power supply then buy my own step down for $60, or buy a proper power supply for about $30.

I let him have the 120V one.

Finding the right power supply is proving harder than I expected, because hardly anyone seems to sell linear power supplies anymore (the ones with a large transformer in them).

Weirdly, the manual says 12V AC at 1 amp is required but on the back of the Micro Q near the power socket it says 12V DC 1.2 amp,
and then on the sticker with the serial number we have 12V DC 1 amp. So I'm a bit confused... Lol.

If anybody who has their Micro Q handy could have a look at their power supply and tell me the specs I would be very grateful.

Cheers Smile

I also want to know if you can use switch mode power supplies with these units, and whether the power supply needs to be regulated or unregulated.
But that might be something an engineer would know?
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Micro Q Power Supply/Plug Pack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NordGas wrote:
Hi,
I scored a Micro Q today, but with no power supply (the guy had a 120V one running from a step down for use in Australia on 240V).
My choice was to take the 120V power supply then buy my own step down for $60, or buy a proper power supply for about $30.

Finding the right power supply is proving harder than I expected, because hardly anyone seems to sell linear power supplies anymore (the ones with a large transformer in them).

Weirdly, the manual says 12V AC at 1 amp is required but on the back of the Micro Q near the power socket it says 12V DC 1.2 amp,
and then on the sticker with the serial number we have 12V DC 1 amp. So I'm a bit confused... Lol.

If anybody who has their Micro Q handy could have a look at their power supply and tell me the specs I would be very grateful.

Cheers Smile

I also want to know if you can use switch mode power supplies with these units, and whether the power supply needs to be regulated or unregulated.

The best mail list for Waldorf products can be found on Waldorf's site
(of all places)
http://tinyurl.com/2f22xbf

It's quite active and there are many experts on the various Waldorf gear there. Waldorf occasionally posts there too.

HrastProgrammer

Audio files: 49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Micro Q Power Supply/Plug Pack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I own two (yellow and blue) MicroQ synthesizers. The older (yellow) one has the usual (transformer based) power supply while the blue one has that laptop-like (switch) power supply. Both are the original ones and are rated 12V/1A DC. Perhaps the expanded 75-voice Omega models need 1.2A ...

As far as I know, there are no voltage regulators inside a Waldorf powersupply (they are mounted on the PCB), so it is OK to use either type, regulated or non-regulated.

NordGas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Micro Q Power Supply/Plug Pack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
NordGas wrote:
Hi,

Cheers Smile

The best mail list for Waldorf products can be found on Waldorf's site
(of all places)
http://tinyurl.com/2f22xbf

It's quite active and there are many experts on the various Waldorf gear there. Waldorf occasionally posts there too.

Thanks for that, I did actually email Waldorf directly before posting here, and got an answer that was... er, ok, but also raised some other questions.

But I have sent my question into the mailing list now, I was aware of that list, but those list arrangements kind of annoy me (that might change now because I saw there's a lot of good stuff to check out).

Cheers
NordGas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Micro Q Power Supply/Plug Pack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HrastProgrammer wrote:
Hello,

I own two (yellow and blue) MicroQ synthesizers. The older (yellow) one has the usual (transformer based) power supply while the blue one has that laptop-like (switch) power supply. Both are the original ones and are rated 12V/1A DC. Perhaps the expanded 75-voice Omega models need 1.2A ...

As far as I know, there are no voltage regulators inside a Waldorf powersupply (they are mounted on the PCB), so it is OK to use either type, regulated or non-regulated.

Thanks for that! What I should do is open up my Micro Q to see if there's a regulator near the power input.

Switch mode power supplies are almost always the regulated type, so maybe the yellow Micro Q has a regulator on its board but the blue one doesn't. If that's right, it could be something for people to watch out for as these cool little synths become more "second hand" with power supplies sometimes lost or close to worn out.
HrastProgrammer

Audio files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Micro Q Power Supply/Plug Pack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NordGas wrote:
What I should do is open up my Micro Q to see if there's a regulator near the power input.

Yes, you can do that, although I seriously doubt Waldorf forced the use of regulated powersupply in later versions. They would state this in the manual, which is not the case. After I bought the yellow MicroQ and mounted it into the rack where the blue one was mounted previously, I was lazy to change the powersupply, so it is working without problem with the newer one (from the blue mQ) for more than a year.

BTW, I opened both blue and yellow MicroQs (I always open a synth when buying second-hand to clean it) and I am pretty much sure, from the memory, that both PCBs have a regulator ...

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused by what I wrote here Wink

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: