electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Body Contacts
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bigbee99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Body Contacts Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I have been bending a few toys here and there. My 1st toy I fried unfortunately. It was a cool little Casio PT-80. Outside of that, I have done a few newer toy on which I could only find places to add pitch pots. They only toy I have completed was a V-Tech 1st Words. Fun little toy. All just pots, switches, and buttons.

I am about to start my Speak & Math and think I may want to add some body contacts to it. What are some good things to use for body contacts?

Thanks
B

IMG_20120904_085533.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  720.15 KB
 Viewed:  87 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_20120904_085533.jpg

bigbee99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess this place isn't really that keen on bending. Anyone know a good site/forum/community dedicated to this?
MusicMan11712

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bigbee99 wrote:
I guess this place isn't really that keen on bending. Anyone know a good site/forum/community dedicated to this?
I don't do circuit bending myself, but I have met a number of people here that do. I have even seen circuit-bending (and other circuit-building) workshops at the annual electro-music festival. I have also seen performances using circuit bent gear at the annual festival. Perhaps others here can point you to sites that have more activity than you have found here.
Steve
transponderfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, best address for me is a hardware store: check acorn nuts/bow nuts/box nuts/cap nuts/hexagon cap nuts (sorry, finding the correct term in an online dictionary for items I have to describe in my mother-tongue is a bit challenging Smile ). They even come in different materials (chrome, nickel or brass) and you get the right bolts and washers etc. in the same aisle.

- Another source is the department where they sell furniture parts: the knobs and handles attached to drawers or doors are sold in really nice designs and finishes (brushed steel for example). But here it gets a bit expensive. A cheap alternative is the well-known global Swedish furniture outlet: You find the department with the knobs and handles at the beginning of the storage-hall (where everybody searches for their furniture to pick it up and assemble it at home).

- Flea-markets, of course, and not to forget: keep an eye open on the streets. In my part of the world bicycling is still an option (not for me anymore, I read about a death or at least severe injuries regularly in the newspaper), but bicycles seem to loose lots of bolts and screws in the streets. I find lots of them. And in the shopping and sightseeing areas of the city I often find cheap jewellery.

- My coolest find EVER was a brass gear (ca 3cm or 1 inch in diameter) which I found walking in the woods. Why coolest ever? Because it looks like it comes from a mechanical alarm-clock. And if you are old enough, I need not explain, but just in case, I do nonetheless: For kids in the last century one of the central mysteries was what makes the clock tick and it was a special moment (in retrospect) when I was given an old broken alarm-clock to investigate myself. (Took long hours to take it apart) Finding that little gear somewhere the woods made me really smile, because I am 100% sure that a young kid lost it there some decades before I found it. I cherish it as an archaeological finding from a fellow hardware-hacker.
bigbee99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you. So pretty much just any thing I can find Razz I had tried a few bolts on one tow but they did not work. So I guess the solder points I was trying to use was the problem, and not the bolts.

I was hoping to finish my Speak & Math by this weekend in order to take it to a party. So my new problem is my toy. It got wet Sad I waited 2 days before I put power on it again but I don't think it's coming back. I guess I will have to buy a new Speak & XXX.

Thank you again for your info. I am sure it will help a lot.

B
transponderfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, anything metal does it.

Reading your answer I feel I should point out that not everything can be soldered and using stuff that can be screwed to your toy is IMHO the better choice as you do not have to mess with finding the right kind of glue AND soldering it. Drill a little hole, fasten the wire with the screw and forget about it. Do not forget to buy a shorter bolt, the plastic is next to nothing compared to furniture

Another thing I forgot to mention: the nails that are used for upholstery (e.g. leather chairs and sofas) look good and need an even smaller hole. Take the inner part of a luster terminal to attach the nail and the wire. No soldering again.

There are even bigger models which are used to protect carpets and are nailed into the legs of chairs. But beware, I once wasted my money on a pack. I installed them and found that they had plastic inside which insulates the shiny outside from the nail in the back. Grrrrrrrr...
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm well into circuit bending: look out baby brother's toys! When he grows up or breaks you ... you're mine! Mwahahahaha! Twisted Evil
I didn't reply because I thought the answer would be pretty clear pretty quickly: metal things. specifically nuts and bolts.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
new voodoo

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea, i agree, anything copper as well. You might want to check out the instructable website and search for contact related stuff-theres a noisemaker DIY build there that uses the foam you get when you order ic's sandwiched between contacts to make body-conductive buttons..also you chould check out Nicholas Collin's book (I think its called "...Electronic Music: the art of Hardware Hacking")..definately the subtitle is art of hardware hacking.
--it has a whole section on making contacts of the type you are talking about and has a number of suggestions you would doubtlessly find useful.
mrmrshoes

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nick collins first draft of the art hardware hacking.

http://www.nicolascollins.com/texts/originalhackingmanual.pdf

great book. highly recommended
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: