electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
doubt about the OTA
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Joelelectro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: doubt about the OTA
Subject description: Exist some OTA
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,guys i have a question about the OTA. I search in the internet some OTA for example LM13700,CA3080,LM4250,NE5517 i can design filters only with capacitors, because i read the datasheets and for design filters use resistance and capacitors i think when i see some pictures about the OTAs don´t use much elements for create filters for example fifth order. Exist some OTA with this topology.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Thanks[/img]
JovianPyx

Audio files: 161

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a difference between an OTA and an OpAmp. An OpAmp always uses a resistor with a capacitor to make an integrator. The integrator is a basic component of a filter because it forms a "time constant".

An OTA, however looks a bit like an OpAmp with a funny double circle thing at the point of the triangle. This circle thing represents a variable current drive. Note that resistors can change the amount of current flowing through them by Ohm's law. An OTA changes current in a current controlled manner, that is, a current (Iabc) is used to control the output current. This is why OTA filters don't look the same as OpAmp filters by the same name.

In an OpAmp, if you want to change the current flow to the integrator, you change the resistor that feeds current to it. For an OTA, you change a control current called Iabc (I for current - abc for Amplifier Bias Current). The change in Iabc current does a couple of things, 1) it changes the open loop gain of the OTA and 2) it changes the drive current available at the output. Note that in both cases, we are controlling the current into the integrating capacitor - opamp with a resistor, OTA with a current.

It is the OTA's ability to control the current feed to the integrating capacitor that makes it possible to create a Voltage Controlled Filter. All one needs is a voltage to current converter so that the input control voltage (CV) is converted to a current which is needed by the Iabc pin of the OTA.

Look at the LM13700/LM13600 datasheet examples - there are several voltage controlled filters shown there including a 2nd order filter (the State Variable Filter).

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: