electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
So, how do you transform a gate into a trigger
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jean bender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: So, how do you transform a gate into a trigger
Subject description: and better, several gates into one trigger...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, i'd like to have your ideas to improve my actual stuff... Cause at the moment, it works, but i'm pretty sure it could better done, and give best results.

Actually, i'm triggering my drum synth modules via triggers made with my lunetta stuff.

The schema right here show you how i do that :

https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/zv235g/screenshot/2400x1800/

I think that this schema from CGS synth would work best, but could i add several inputs to it ? How would i do that ?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

What are your best ways to create weird trigger from several lunettas osc or gate outputs ?

I actually understand how to mix several outputs into an R/2R ladder in order to get cvs, but it seems to me more difficult to get complex or weird triggers outputs

Hope someone will understand my question... Maybe it's just stupid, or i'm dealing with too many xor outputs and i just can have a big mess... ( actually 8 xor outputs feeded by several 4040 outputs and a shift register fed by its own clock and a data bus from a 4040 division ...)

THANKS ! Razz

gate-mix-example.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 KB
 Viewed:  1773 Time(s)

gate-mix-example.png

www.electroncanon.org
Psyingo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

see the one shots portion to produce a trigger from a gate. youll want the top one, run through a second inverter to bring it back to normal polarity.
nathanxl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the same Ken stone design and it works fine for me.
Adjusting the cap size changes the trigger length.

I dont see why it wouldnt work multiple inputs.
You could always mix the output triggers rather than the input gates...
brock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Mickey Mouse Logic one shots should work too, although I would add Schottky clamping diodes in in parallel with the bias resistor rather than rely on the internal protection diodes. You could use the top positive going one shot with a 4072 quad OR to mix up to 4 triggers per gate, or the lower negative going with a 4068 octal NAND to mix up to 8 triggers.
jean bender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your answers ! I'll take a look to that.. Well, i'll never finish to learn an try to improve my stuff.

brock, would you have a scheme of your improve mickey mouse logic ?
The only thing i'm not sure of, is using 74CH14 chips : they're not cmos, no ? Interfacing it with CD**** would be difficult, no ? Could i use a CD40106 for it ?

Idea

www.electroncanon.org
brock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

74HC14 are cmos, HC = high speed cmos, but the 74HC family has different specs, most important when interfacing with 4000 series is the lower maximum operating voltage, typically 5V but absolute max is 7V. If you operate everything at 3 to 6V you can mix 4000 series and 74HC with no problems. The important spec difference with mixed parts is speed or propagation delay, 4000 series max out around 4 to 5 MHz at 5V whereas 74HC operate at least to 27MHz.

You could use a CD40106 in place of the 74HC14 in the M2L example.

Here's an example of external diode clamping.

Differentiator Pulse Generators.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.04 KB
 Viewed:  71 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Differentiator Pulse Generators.JPG

jean bender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YEAH thanks Brock !

i didn't know these diodes, so... i'll go check their datasheet... héhé, since i'm in circuit bending and hack, i never use other diode than 1N4148...
well

So all your answers let me think about the way lunetta and other analog modules can interact... Actually, i'm powering my lunetta with 9V, but if i use 5V, it would be better for being interfaced with analog synth modules ?

I don't think this question has been thought here, and if it actually works, i think it could be bad by times for my analog stuff. Don't know why where and when, but that"s my premonition...

Question

www.electroncanon.org
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: