electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
M-Audio Firewire Audiophile interface
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile interface Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one looks like a decent device!

Pretty OK specs. I recently got the Firewire 410, and that one has proved to be excellent.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

FireWire Audiophile is a compact, FireWire-compatible audio/MIDI interface that takes the legacy of M-Audio’s award-winning Audiophile line to the next level. 4 x 6 audio I/O combines with powerful on-board mixing in a mobile package that’s perfect for live performance, home recording, and digital DJ work. Stereo headphone output with A/B switching between assignable sources allows precuing for DJs and mobile musicians—and the assignable aux bus is perfect for creating dedicated headphone mixes and effect sends. You also get zero-latency hardware direct monitoring, ultra-low latency ASIO software direct monitoring, and 1 x 1 MIDI I/O. FireWire Audiophile even has AC-3 and DTS passthrough for surround sound playback.

4 x 6 24-bit/96kHz I/O
S/PDIF digital I/O w/ PCM, AC-3, and DTS support
flexible software-controlled mixing
momentary A/B source monitoring switch
1 x 1 16-channel MIDI I/O
USD 349.95 MRSP

2 x 4 analog operation (RCA)
digital S/PDIF (coaxial) I/O w/ 2-channel PCM
digital out also supports AC-3/DTS surround sound
headphone output with dedicated level control
flexible software-controlled mixing of hardware and software I/O
aux sends on all channels and aux output assign allows for dedicated headphone mixes and sends to external effects
user-assignable front-panel level control (output, input, software return, aux send)
zero-latency hardware direct monitoring
low-latency ASIO software direct monitoring
momentary switch for A/Bing two software-assignable headphone sources or switching ASIO monitoring on/off
1 x 1 16-channel MIDI I/O
power on/off switch with indicator LED
powered via FireWire bus* or included DC power supply
two convenient high-bandwidth FireWire ports
rugged steel construction
*requires 6-pin connection

frequency response:
20Hz-40kHz +/-0.40dB, 96kHz sample rate

dynamic range:
108dB A-weighted

signal-to-noise:
106dB A-weighted

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you talking to me Question
what's this Question poor people version of Firewire 410 Question
no phantom power Exclamation
you know I only use large diaphragm condenser mics Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No.. hehe.. I know you do.. and yes.. this is a kinda budget version of the excellent Firewire 410.

BTW: The Røde mics performed pretty OK with the 410. I cannot complain. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The Røde mics performed pretty OK with the 410. I cannot complain. Very Happy

Røde or Roede microphones Question

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, obviously the Grete Roede mics are embedded in immense layers of fat? Jabba the Hut mics?

Nah... Røde it is!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
you know I only use large diaphragm condenser mics

Why only large diaphram mics? I thought large diaphram meant phase inaccuracies traded off for low frequency sensitivity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not neccessarily.... the nuemann u 87 has exquisite high end ..

some cheaper mics have a peak above 4k to add emphasis to the 'fairy dust' freq'as at 10k which is a less ideal solution and may lead to some of those phasing issues...

and, if by 'phase inaccuracies'you mean 'off axis phase', then any decent large diaphragm rejects these freq's
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that last post was from me...auto log does not work for me if i don;t enter in at the index page
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I was spooked by the Guest posting because these are supposed to be disallowed. Apparently, the new sub forums needed to be explicitly set up that way.

As for the small diaphrams: I know someone who writes lots of papers for AES about localization of sound in 3 dimensions. Some of the stuff he uses are binaural-like recordings called ambiophonic recordings. To get accurate localization, you need very good phase accuracy. This isn't frequency response. To get very good phase accuracy, the smaller diaphrams are required.

I'm not implying that large diaphram mics sound bad. I was just wondering why one would use them exclusively. I have mostly large diaphram mics because I don't spend a lot of money for mics. There is the point of diminishing returns. These discussions get similar to religious ones. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i see what you mean by 'localization'..and yes this would be a problem for large diaphram mics

thre is of course the soundfield 5.1 mic.. i bet that would be sweet, eh
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I'm real familiar with that one. It's useful for another technique called ambisonic sound. My friend, Robin Miller, has one of these babies, but for his work, these are not accurate enough.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, well.. large diaphram mics are often very prone to the proximity effect too, but many of the inexpensive ones are still pretty good.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Why only large diaphram mics? I thought large diaphram meant phase inaccuracies traded off for low frequency sensitivity.

I have a couple of AKG C414 B-ULS with whom I have recorded many different intruments from cello to female voice always with excellent results.
I also have a great Neumann KM105 (that's not a large diaphram condenser, though) that's lovely Exclamation It's good not only in the studio but also for the stage.
(the C414 are also rugged enough to be used on live settings)

Quote:
beat amateur

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will say that I recently purchased the PCI Audiophile 2496 rather than the firewire. It was incredibly easy to install and as mentioned above does provide the phantom power needed for my vocal recording goals. Looks like the firewire Audiophile might be good for certain applications but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the PCI Audiophile.
paul e.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-- beat amatuer

hello from toronto.... to you all in 'the hammer' ;]
beat amateur

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:

hello from toronto.... to you all in 'the hammer' ;]

Thanks, it's good to be here! Since it isn't always convenient to visit TO it's nice to have this forum as a way to build community with fellow electronic artists.

Checkin' out your tracks...
paul e.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

one of the better sites for electronic music is the webpage of the toronto radio show Feedback Monitor [89.5 CIUT FM]

greg clow, the host, keeps a great database of live shows in and around the GTA, and is also affiliated with the ambient ping website as well, as well as the new release section of http://www.brainwashed.com
check it out and listen online if you can

http://www.feedbackmonitor.com

[actually, mosc may want to add this to the links area [

Last edited by paul e. on Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:
[actually, mosc may want to add this to the links area
]

Sudden, you can add the link yourself. Just click on "links" and you'll see an add link option.
paul e.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent... i added the link as you suggested
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, thanks...
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile interface Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I recently got the Firewire 410, and that one has proved to be excellent.

Jason Halbert wrote:
“Now I’m running Live with M-Audio’s FireWire 410,” says Halbert. “And just this last week I asked the crew to keep continuous power during a show, but one of the guys messed up and I lost power. But with the 410 being bus powered, I was able to still get it up and running in time to make the commercial break and not have to worry about re-booting the computer or anything like that. Bus power also means that I don't have to wait for the crew to set up, or run power before I can start getting things going. So I'm already running all the sound loops before they even get things set up. And sonically it’s great."

http://www.ableton.com/forums.html?main=artists?=jasonhalbert

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound On Sound ( http://sospubs.co.uk )

They have published a very nice review of the Firewire-410.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Sound On Sound ( http://sospubs.co.uk )

They have published a very nice review of the Firewire-410.

Sound On Sound ( http://www.sospubs.co.uk )

Quote:
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: