electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Unable to use electro-music forum,...
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
northstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Unable to use electro-music forum,...
Subject description: ...browser seems to be headed for crash. Any suggestions by Win users?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everybody!

Perhaps I'm going off-topic now. It's nearly impossible for me to use the forum anymore because my webbrowser seems to be headed for total crash and I am unable to detect the cause.

Whenever I visited electro-music lately it lasted longer and longer until the site appeared completely and now it stalls entirely. The bottombar in my browser reads "Still 44 objects to be loaded" but the download of site-objects doesn't commence, instead the browser stalls completely. Hence no buttons, no icons, no menubars ... appear.

I'm running Win Internet Explorer 5.00, updated by the 128bit safety-encoding and the platform is Win98SE. My internet connection is via highspeed broadband cable. The download speed which my internet provider and my cable modem provides is stable at 500kBauds, so that's ruled out as the cause.

I tried to change the browser's security options. No effect. I tried to empty out the browser's cache ("temporary internet files"). No effect.

My first thought points towards a virus or spyware or anything like that. But I cannot detect any active processes of that kind and the registry seems to be clear and stringent.

Any idea what could be the cause of the browser's malbehaviour???

Help and ideas of any kind highly welcome! Smile Thanks,
northstar

Last edited by northstar on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try to kill all cookies. Very Happy
Refresh the cache...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might be seeing the well known the Cookie Monster Attack.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And do have a go at Firefox. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
northstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks very much, elektro80! Very Happy
Must have had something to do with the cookies. I just deleted them all manually and now everything works perfect.

northstar
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Northstar, your name is now "Slayer of the Cookie Monster"

All kneel! Consider yourself knighted.

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
northstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Northstar, your name is now "Slayer of the Cookie Monster"

All kneel! Consider yourself knighted.

Very Happy

Hehe, I feel pretty honoured and will hold the title in high regard ever after! Wink
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But apart from all written above .. e-m is pretty unreachable for me as well at times. It looks most like some routing problem and not like a problem with the site itself, tracert takes its time at certain nodes, but not at the end points.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Routing problems can be almost impossible to resolve by yourself. It's easier if you can do it thru the ISP on your end. I can give you the helpdesk number of our ISP if that would help them get it resolved.

I remember that at electro-music 2005 we couldn't contact the electro-music.com server from the Cheltenham Art Center, but we could contact the streaming server. I once had a similar problem from home and was able to get my local ISP, my cable TV company, to fix it.

Different router use different methods to keep their routing tables up-to-date. These days, it is almost always automatic. The use protocols like OSPF - Open Shortest Path First. Sometimes a broken router somewhere out there sends back messages that confuse the upstream routers and they loose contact with the end destination. A good network admin and easilly spot that and inform his routers to avoid the source of confusion so things can heal themselves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: