electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
caveman I.C.s!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: caveman I.C.s! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the following was cutted and pasted from the other thread....

~also, i have decided to make two 3-LDR/1-LED, [a la 'hairball']
controls to at least test my idea of the 'spread' control dynamic of the synbal circuit. which i think [i hope] will be interesting enough to do. my plan is to inversely shift the frequency of the 3 highest and lowest oscillators... a la 'hairball crossfade circuit' with control voltage.

when the top 3 are getting higher, the bottom 3 are going lower, and vice-versa. also, the topmost osc will be affected more than the one below it, and so on... same for the bottom 3, where the lowest in freq. will be affected more than the others. this would be alot easier to diagram than write about!

i think it will definitely be good to have at least 4 different tap-points of this configuration brought out to a mixing section, maybe a matrix style mixer? or a joystick... hmm.. maybe thru simple bandpass filters. wow this just got alot bigger of a thing... sorry to ramble on as much about an entirely different project, ill keep y'all posted~

as promised, im keeping you posted. i couldn't resist... it's 5 AM im going to bed but i just finished 2 caveman vactrols, and here are pictures taken by a shitty camera. enjoy!

epoxied2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.22 KB
 Viewed:  8714 Time(s)

epoxied2.jpg

cmic1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.96 KB
 Viewed:  8715 Time(s)

cmic1.jpg

cmic2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.64 KB
 Viewed:  8713 Time(s)

cmic2.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool!
I love the look o' dem chips!
Guitarists have known for ages that a beautiful instrument looks as cool as it sounds. You're (in fact we are all) doing the same for the electronic music world!! Cool

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great looking DIY Vactrols!! What did you use as the coating?

(It's just that it looks like that 'sticks like s**t' stuff (no more nails) you can get from DIY shops. If it isn't, I apologise- but if it is, are you using the solvent-based version or the water-based one? (the latter is better imo- because it isn't poisonous!!))

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mi_dach

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha!
these things are absolutely awesome, thanks, you've made my day Smile
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey thanks guys! the coating i used is an air-dry modeling clay, i used the inside of a thimble as a kind of mold. i am making more of these in the vtl5c2/3 configuration too soon.

josh
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa, extremely kewl opto-couplers there!!! Me like Very Happy

A friend of mine did this a while back. He measured the components out carefully, put them together and......didn't work. Didn't work quite badly, actually.

He finally figured out the potting compound he used was conductive

Ouch!!!

Cheerio,
Scott (finally going home tomorrow)
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got 8 LDRs today and plan on building some mutant "vactrols". They have a dark resistance of over 1M and an "under a lamp" resistance of about 3K. Does this sound good? What is the schematic for the filter you're working on Scott? What is the vtl5c2/3 configuration?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Uncle K,

Mutant Vactrol Filter schemos can be found here:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id17.html

I think your optocouplers will work fine - perhaps a little darker sounding (I think the min resistance of the VTL5C3/2's I used go a bit lower in resistance). You can always try swinging the cap value a little lower to brighten it up if you need.

Take care,
Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: