electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Various Artists ~ 2014 Autumnal Equinox ~ live streaming radio ~
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Teo Macero Interview
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Teo Macero Interview Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found the link to this GREAT interview on beepsnort.
It was posted there by Joe (our Joseph Benzola, I guess).
It's very, very interesting!
Thanks Joe Very Happy
This is what he says to present it:
Joe wrote:
This is a great interview which I have read many, many times. It was given in 1997 and Teo touches upon many of the topics and concepts that are touched upon here. Plus, he also talks about Miles, Ellington, Varese Stockhausen, the state of electronic music,these kids of today and various other sundry items:

Part I: http://www.furious.com/perfect/teomacero.html

Part II: http://www.furious.com/perfect/teomacero2.html

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lara Lee... right.. I have that movie Modulations somewhere.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Lara Lee... right.. I have that movie Modulations somewhere.

Modulations: A History of Electronic Music: Throbbing Words on Sound
is it the same?

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes... that is the one.

Nice one. perhaps a bit too much into techno/trance. She is missing most of what is going on by focusing on this.. but the movie is OK. Do you want to borrow it??

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can also see the same tendencies in that interview. She is trying to push him into another franwork, and he is resisting it and instead chattering away about his own stuff in his own way. The interview was great because this resistance from the interviewer really makes the guy talk about his own visions.

Some aspects of the interview kind of explains why I like analog / modular synths and stuff. Well, I share many of his ideas and I can relate to how he looks at his tools.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The same site where you found the Macero interview has a lot of other great interviews too.

Check out the Holger Czukay interview about CAN. They did "Soon Over Babaluma" on two tracks. HAHAHA! Excellent! That one is one of my ultimate favorites.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The laura Lee documentary, Modulations, is quite good. But she ends up with techno/trance and she is really missing out on a lot. She uses a lot of interviews of guys like Robert Moog and connects all this with techno.
I have nothing against techno and trance, but she kind of rewrites history too much. There are several major trends she misses. On particular is how art music/avant garde inspires the early UK industrial music movement and interconnects with the rebirth of ambient and electronic ensemble music. And as far as I can remember she also really forgets a lot of american music and I don´t think she even mentions Mother Mallard´s.

On the other hand, she does mention Can and Holger Czukay etc.
This means she has read the Cope book I guess. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Check out the Holger Czukay interview about CAN.

Holger Czukay wrote:
I actually met Stockhausen at the end of the fifties. Somehow he had invented electronic music. What I heard was so.... that I thought of flushing toilets in outer space. I was somehow effected. I really couldn't stop laughing because it was so new to me. One person in the audience said to him 'Hey, you do these weird sounds just to give us a shock and out of this shock you want to make a lot of money.' He said 'I can promise you that I do this only for musical reasons. I have just married a rich woman- I don't need the money.' I thought 'This man is right of you. You must get in contact with him.' The heckler caught up with him after the show and said 'Now we can talk frankly to each other. Was that true?' So Stockhausen said to his wife 'Hey Doris, come here. He doesn't believe I'm married to a rich woman.' I thought 'you must look for a rich woman too.' Then I studied with him. I really went out to look for a rich woman. So where do you find that? In Switzerland. There were these private schools for daughters of rich families and I tried to become a teacher around Lake Geneva. It happened that they took me on. I found a very rich girl there and I was paid so high that I forgot about the rest! With this money, I saved a little bit and that was the beginning of Can. I wanted to make for one year holidays. So I thought 'Let's see what's going on in the world otherwise.' That's how Can was established. With this money, I bought a tape recorder and with this tape recorder, we made our first album.

How come I had never thought about it Question Shocked

Quote:
7/4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Check out the Holger Czukay interview about CAN.

Holger Czukay wrote:
I actually met Stockhausen at the end of the fifties. Somehow he had invented electronic music. What I heard was so.... that I thought of flushing toilets in outer space. I was somehow effected. I really couldn't stop laughing because it was so new to me. One person in the audience said to him 'Hey, you do these weird sounds just to give us a shock and out of this shock you want to make a lot of money.' He said 'I can promise you that I do this only for musical reasons. I have just married a rich woman- I don't need the money.' I thought 'This man is right of you. You must get in contact with him.' The heckler caught up with him after the show and said 'Now we can talk frankly to each other. Was that true?' So Stockhausen said to his wife 'Hey Doris, come here. He doesn't believe I'm married to a rich woman.' I thought 'you must look for a rich woman too.' Then I studied with him. I really went out to look for a rich woman. So where do you find that? In Switzerland. There were these private schools for daughters of rich families and I tried to become a teacher around Lake Geneva. It happened that they took me on. I found a very rich girl there and I was paid so high that I forgot about the rest! With this money, I saved a little bit and that was the beginning of Can. I wanted to make for one year holidays. So I thought 'Let's see what's going on in the world otherwise.' That's how Can was established. With this money, I bought a tape recorder and with this tape recorder, we made our first album.

How come I had never thought about it Question Shocked

I think I've been on the wrong career path! Rolling Eyes
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... which path is that? Satisfying poor women only? Shocked Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
7/4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like it!

I know quite a few musicans who are married to women who make most of the money.

But to go searching for a rich wife! Sounds like a plot for a Walt Disney movie from the '60's! Razz
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: