electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Music Industry Pins Hopes on Downloads
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Music Industry Pins Hopes on Downloads Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Music Industry Pins Hopes on Downloads
By ALEX VEIGA, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - After four straight years of declining CD sales, the recording industry is hanging hopes for a recovery on music fans going digital — and being willing to pay for it.

More than 19.2 million digital tracks were sold online in the last six months, according to Nielsen Soundscan, helping to narrow the music industry's losses last year.

Richard Warner and his family have spent thousands of dollars over the years on music, buying more than 500 CDs and 700 vinyl albums. Now Warner is surrendering $4,000 to settle a copyright infringement lawsuit — the price of his 17-year-old daughter's habit of downloading music for free.

The 49-year-old California wine merchant was ensnared in a September wave of recording industry lawsuits aimed at chilling illegal downloading. But while he's angry at the music labels for suing the loyal customer he considers himself to be, Warner has signed up for an industry-backed online music service.

"I encouraged my daughter to enjoy music, and I did not want to make this a negative in our life," Warner said. "We're not going to stop enjoying music."

Overall North American music sales were down 0.8 percent last year over 2002 while album sales, which includes cassettes and other formats, were down 3.6 percent, says Nielsen Soundscan.

Edgar Bronfman Jr., the former Universal Music chief who last month led a group of investors in the purchase of Warner Music from Time Warner Inc., said he believes digital music sales will eventually help the industry recover — although continued pain will precede the healing.

"I think that the industry is going to see continued difficulty for a couple of years," Bronfman told The Associated Press.

Bronfman said the music industry has only begun to tap the potential for digital distribution and that it's going to take time for the different business models to develop and grow.

"We're already seeing just the very nascent, very beginnings of that here in the United States, and I think that trend will continue," Bronfman said.

Companies from Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to a revamped Napster have dived into online music sales. After last year's success by Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes Music Store and iPod digital player, it's no surprise.

"We've made some incredible headway," said Ted Cohen, senior vice president of digital development and distribution for EMI Music. "Wal-Mart going into this business says a lot."

The handful of industry-licensed digital music services launched in 2001 didn't draw much interest from music fans because they had too many restrictions and not enough flexibility.

Enter Apple chief executive Steve Jobs (news - web sites), who convinced reluctant record companies to abandon restrictions on selling individual digital tracks a la carte for as little as 99 cents each.

By the end of 2003, after cautiously following the progress of iTunes, record companies were busy making much of their catalog available for digital sale.

After seeing many traditional music stores close, music companies now are trying to adapt to an online market where singles are king and the traditional CD format is losing relevance.

"Technology ... has leapt so far ahead of us that we kind of wound up with our heads in the sand and left in the dust, so we're playing catch-up here," said Neil Portnow, Recording Academy president and former West Coast head of Zomba Music Publishing and Jive Records.

For now, only 30 percent of U.S. households use digital music, according to a survey by research firm Parks Associates.

But helping to drive new consumer demand for digital music will be a proliferation of digital music players, cell phones and other wireless devices that can support "digital rights management" technology, which safeguards files from being pirated.

"We think 2004 is going to be the year of subscription content on portable devices," said Scott Kauffman, head of digital music retailer MusicNow Inc. "The notion of figuring out which 12 songs to put on a disc that doesn't fit in your pocket when you already have 12,000 that fit in your pocket ... that's just over."

Already, signs point to a budding price war in digital music. By selling individual songs for 88 cents, Wal-Mart undercut the 99-cent price set by iTunes and followed by Napster 2.0, among others.

Industry watchers expect song prices to drop further, though for now, profit margins are squeezed by the average 25-cent credit card transaction fee per song.

Still, lower-priced song downloads may still not be able to compete with the no-cost and restriction-free music available over peer-to-peer networks.

A survey released last week by the Pew Internet & American Life Project and comScore Media Metrix found that since May, the percentage of U.S. Internet users who download music was down by half, to 14 percent. And while that figure does not include Internet users younger than 18 — a ripe demographic for free downloading — the same report also found marked declines in usage of such well-known file-sharing programs such Kazaa and Grokster.

But other indicators suggest the free-for-all is hardly waning. BigChampagne LLC, which also tracks file-sharing, reports that usage of such swapping networks as FastTrack and Gnutella continues to rise.

Meanwhile, the music industry's legal campaign against online piracy has run into some static. Last month, a federal appeals court ruled that it can't force Internet providers to identify music downloaders, making it more difficult to track down and sue individuals it suspects of piracy.

Juan Torres, a 22-year-old security guard in Los Angeles, says he still downloads from the Internet, avoiding sharing his music so he won't become an easy target for a lawsuit.

"If I had a choice in paying for it and downloading for free," he said, "I'd rather download it for free."

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting

i have to think DVD [surround sound, images to accompany music, videos, interviews, concert footage, web links and other value added content] is another avenue to explore..

much harder to pirate all that data. and the music buyer will get more for his/her money and will feel a lot less ripped off.....
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, as I've said before, when it comes to piracy, the only question/factor is bandwidth. Everything is cracked eventually. The only question then is whether or not the bandwidth is there to move it around. My understanding is that in South Korea, 40+ megabit connections for consumers is the norm. With that sort of pipe available out there, size is not really an issue.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is true..

but, not everything is always cracked... i can think of one marquee audio app that has not been cracked due to it's copy protection scheme

[emagic logic]

and this is now going on a year since it's release

so i think there are ways ...

but , basically, you are right..
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have cracked copies of Logic all over my house, albeit PC versions, meaning not 6.

Now, software with hardware dependancies (and I dont mean dongles), tend to be relatively safe, if not irrelevant without the hardware.

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is very interesting how Apple in effect has chosen to provide the iLife bundle for free. You get the lot when you install the OS, buy a new mac, or you can order the CD for 49 USD. Now they have thrown in Garageband in the latest version of the bundle. The iLife apps are very good. IPhoto was the only one which was pretty stupid.. well.. the problem was.. until now.. that the app was slow. The latest version is much faster.

Apple has chosen to enhance the OS and the hardware with excellent low end apps. iPhoto is amazing. It has drivers for pretty much every camera out there with a USB port.

When it comes to the iLife apps.. it seems that Apple ignores piracy of these anyway. No messing with serial numbers or dongles or whatever.

And now Apple has this new iTunes deal with HP ( which probably also means that Quicktime is installed by default too).

Only problem is that this is a strategy that very few other than Microsoft and Apple can use.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jump to: