electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Cypress PSoC Mixed-Signal Array
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Macaba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Cypress PSoC Mixed-Signal Array Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is PSoC?

Introduction
PSoC stands for Programmable System on Chip. Cypress also calls their PSoC devices mixed-signal arrays. To really understand what a PSoC is you need more than these catch phrases.

A PSoC devices consists of several sub systems on a single chip. The systems them self and the connections between them may be configured to achieve a system on chip. Often times for the embedded designer using a PSoC means that the bill of materials (BOM) for their product is reduced because the system that used to take several ICs can now be implemented in a single PSoC device. While BOM count reductions vary with the right application reductions can be significant.

However, there is more to PSoC than chips. Cypress MicroSystems has also created an innovative Integrated Development Environment (IDE) to assist the PSoC developer in implementing their system. Cypress calls their IDE PSoC Designer. Actual code writing is only one component of PSoC Designer. Software IP blocks, called User Modules, are represented graphically and many block level configurations may be made using the GUI.

PSoC Subsystems
The following is a high level view of the hardware subsystems of a PSoC.

Analog PSoC Blocks: PSoC devices have an array of analog PSoC blocks that may work together or alone. The User Modules create by Cypress for the analog PSoC blocks give the developer a tool box of analog functions to create the signal processing chain needed by the application. Many analog User Modules are available, examples include band pass filters, instrumentation amplifiers, analog to digital converts, and digital to analog converters.

Digital PSoC Blocks: PSoC devices have an array of digital PSoC blocks. Each digital PSoC block may be used by it self as an 8-bit function or combined with other digital PSoC blocks to form 16, 24, or 32-bit functions. The User Modules created by Cypress for the digital PSoC blocks give the developer a tool box of digital functions to user in their system. Many analog User Modules are available, examples include timers, counter, UART, SPI, and CRC.

8-Bit Controller (M8C): Each PSoC device also has an 8-bit controller that runs at speeds from 93kHz to 24MHz. The controller runs code from an on board flash program store and has separate SRAM and register address spaces.

System Resources: Each PSoC also has an assortment of system resources such as I2C, configurable clocks, internal precisions oscillators that need no external components, and more. Of course PSoC's also have IO pins and they are configurable for various drive strengths and connections to internal resources.

More Information
For more information about PSoC products check out the rest of http://www.PSoCDeveloper.com and visit the the Cypress Semiconductor web site.

(Information from http://www.psocdeveloper.com/old/forums.html?page=8&mode=article&k=8)

Thats PSoC's in a nutshell, all in all, very cool technology. The question is, can we find a musical use for these that makes effective use of the system? Lets discuss, and what i'd like to acheive is some knowledgable person to give me hex files to try out for them. If someone wants to take me up on this, i'll give details about the chip I have, which i'll be making a breakout board for next week, so it depends on the success I have upon soldering a SSOP chip. Laughing

Macaba
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic introduction! When I get back in town next week I will have to pull down some data sheets and think of some cool applications!

This will inspire me to learn more about these handy IC's.

For audio applications, It would be interesting to see the noise, distortion, etc ... specifications of the analog OP AMP sections.

NICE ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: