electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
S/H => bitcrusher-style
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tom you might wanna try using the 40106 vco I posted in the Lunetta thread as your main clock source for this circuit. Works pretty good!
rumpofsteelskin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bigtex wrote:
It all starts with a sawtooth wave. This is quantized by the first S&H chip and turned from a ramp shape into a staircase shape at a rate determined by the clock.

That same original sawtooth wave is also fed into a comparator. It is compared to the audio input. Every time the comparator's state changes (caused by the sawtooth wave or audio input becoming higher or lower than the other) the second S&H samples the current step of the staircase wave.

Has this been abandoned?? I was toying around with it but noticed two problems -

- Changing the sample rate also changes the amount of quantization levels; lower sample rate = more amplitude levels. This could be sorted by phase locking the square wave to the sawtooth wave.

- The speed of the square/pulse wave looks to be prohibitively fast. Say if you want maximum resolution at 20KHz, then a minimum of 40K sawtooth wave to sample it with, and then assuming that 14bits is the maximum fidelity bit depth, that means 2^14 = 16384 possible amplitude levels. Which means the square wave clock must be at minimum 166384x40000 = 655MHz. This must also be variable to give the lowest resolution at the lowest frequency, say 30Hz. 30x2x2 = 120Hz.

Unfortunately, this doesn't look feasible which is quite a shame, the idea of it is pretty clever.

I think probably the only way to do the amplitude quantization is digitally...

does anyone know how the frostwave sonic annihilator works??
rumpofsteelskin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*sonic alienator, rather...
rosch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi guys!

i have built modularkomplex's LF398 based rate reducer today (from page 3 of this topic).
i have one issue here. there's a very audible cv, almost as loud as the audio signal. when i turn the pot the pitch of the noise goes all the way up/down.
the effect itself works fine on the audio signal (edit: at least seems so).
i played bass through it and could turn the rate down (1M pot) so much that it sounded detuned (edit: with the cv i guess) and got pitch modulated. but i must have made a mistake so the cv comes through...

any idea what i could have done wrong here?
thanks!

edit: just created a new thread here
nilsomat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everybody, my first post Very Happy I have been reading this forum for quite a while, a great level of expertise here, good stuff!
I have been thinking about building a bugcrusher-like-device for some time so i thought it would be a good idea to bump this thread to ask for any updates, schematics and the like. I would prefer a LF398 based device because of better availability.
Thanks a lot for any input!
Greetings,
Nils
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many moons after this thread initially appeared..

Today I'm publishing a new project version WorkshopCrusher in kit form.

Kits go on sale tomorrow via thonk: http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/bugbrand-workshopcrusher/

And I'm also holding 2 workshops this weekend in Manchester:
http://opencircuit-network.tumblr.com/post/96401943051/build-your-own-workshop-crusher-with-tom-bugs-25th

Full build docs (inc. schematics) are now online:
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/docs/workshopcrusher.pdf
[the no-AD781 approach may be of particular interest given how this thread started..]

Hopefully interesting, useful, enjoyable for some of you!

Cheers, Tom

http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/forums.html?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=120

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is really cool Tom. Smile
isak

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

amazing work!
this is great Smile

vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just made pcb layout for the original LF398 Bug crusher ,but with vc control ,added pads to include the voltage divider as in YASH from Rene Schmitz ,i am yet to build this ,so i hope there won't be too much bleed from the clock ,only later i saw the workshop crusher schematic ,maybe better idea to make it this vc with 4066

Bit Crusher.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  428.49 KB
 Viewed:  217 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Bit Crusher.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: