electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Ableton Live 5
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject:  Ableton Live 5 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey just finally got ableton live 5 !

tis quite a moove forward as so expensive for a student.. Smile

ive worked hard for it.

i was wondering, as i asume alot of you have it.
if you have any personel help tips or tricks.
that you want to share..
maybe turn this into a genral abelton live 5 thread or sumtin.

just stuff for me to read as im starting to learn about the program.

if it applies to what you are writing about i'm using it to record alot of music for different styles from accoustic folk to drum and bass and metal.

i've got a larrrge yamaha midi keyboard a mini drum machine electric/acoustic/slide guitars a cheap electro drum kit a massive normal drum kit, jst buying a better mic.

if there is anything you think i should know about performing live as i am quite new to it.

i would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom from your many mouths.

thanks.

H
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am pretty sure we do have a lot of seasoned Ableton Live users here. Very Happy ( I am not one of them, though. )

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Find a way to play it that you are really comfortable with and find intuitive to yourself. Lots you can do just on a keyboard (PC, not music), but I don't like that much because I'm not always *looking* at the keyboard when I want to kick off a pattern. MIDI controllers work great with Live, and it sounds like you got plenty, so use them together with the MIDI learn mode.

The tutorials that it comes with are very helpful, and the forum has LOTS of info, so go to ableton's website and go through it, more tips there than I could ever come up with.
hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

" THX "
well thats too elelctro 80...

thanks to thee others too and anyone else who replies to this from now on will check thee forums and will check these forums too. and hopefully pick up some more random helpfullnessess

H
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Our most extinguished member, Kassen, is a Live user. I am sure he has some ideas. He always has. Fasten your seat belts.

( most extinguished Shocked That must be a typo! Shocked )

This is still a tuesday? Right? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I use it.

I used Live to write tracks (both "dance" and "experimental"), I performed with it, used it for commisioned sound design and to put together a radio show once. I'd say it's very well suited for a large range of applications. For general tips I sugest you search the Ableton forum; I simply don't have the time to cover all of it in one post.

As for advice;

Live has a bit of a reputation for resulting in live performances that aren't all that "live". I'd say that while that's often true it does not need to be the case. I'd also add that some things in Live are easier then others to do and that the very easy things are indeed typically quite boring.

If I were you I'd make a plan of what it is exactly that I wanted to do, then use the search function on the Ableton forum as well as the manual to work out how to accomplish those things. Don't do what most people do; don't let the program guide your intentions; instead work from what it is that YOU want. Plan, practice and be dedicated. You can do nearly everything in Live if you wrap your head around it and perhaps install a VST plugin or two, If you don't know where to start I recomend you start by looking at the MIDI and keyboard shortcut implementations and see how that relates to what you want and what interfaces you own.

Hope that helps a little? I know I didn't asnwere the question but doing that would result in a small book.

hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shouldnt really be looking at this as in art exam atm but...

cheers..

i'll be trying to record first track on live tonight hopefully see what its like compared to dare i say it.. arageband.

thanks.

H
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am also a proud new owner of Live, and I'm really excited about the loop stuff that you do in the session view. I went out today to find a good foot controller, and came home with a second hand Roland PK-5a

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

What I did then was to create a new Live set with four audio tracks, using the midi map to assign the record buttons for the first four tracks rows to C, D, E, and F in octaves -1, 0, 1, and 2 on the foot controller. Then I used the controller to record my guitar to 16 clips (4 x 4) in Live. I spent maybe 15-20 minutes playing and recording, threw in some simple effects, did a live recording into the arrangement window and then I thought: that's a wrap (at least for now).

I am attaching the result. I wanted to add screenshot of the 16 clips in Live, but I'm a bit new to snapshots in Mac OS. Smile While the music might be a bit off-topic for this forum, it shows how you are able to do stuff like this really fast in Live, so you don't become unfocussed, searching for controls or wondering how you are going to loop this or that, which is good for people like me who often have to strugge with keeping up the motivation and stamina. And a foot controller like this works great with Live's clips whether you're playing on keyboards or twiddling knobs.

/Stefan

gitloops_pk5a_premiär.mp3
 Description:
Gitloops

Download
 Filename:  gitloops_pk5a_premiär.mp3
 Filesize:  2.58 MB
 Downloaded:  1703 Time(s)

hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

will listen but at school at the mo and the download listen feature is disabled.

thanks.

H
pizzamon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: ableton advice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You asked for it, so here it is...

I've been using ableton since LIVE1. I can give you this advice. Live is EXTREMELY versatile. It is just too easy to throw together trax with loops. I like what the gentleman said earlier about not letting live control what you do. You have to use it as a tool, not the BE ALL. It is basically an overly powerful software synth with sampling, looping, sequencing, effects, etc. Everybody should use it a little differently depending on your interest. The people who are really working this program to its limits right now are exploring it's networking capabilities. There are a lot of people out there right now pushing ableton loops (especially in commercials) that just have no soul at all. Remember that music is what comes from the inside-out, and not what others push on you. You should not do it to be cool, or popular, or even to make money (that comes with time and experience), but because it is a natural thing to do, and a way to express your individuality.
hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why thankyou.

i am currently looking (and biddin) on a midi contoller hardware piece cant remember the name of the top of my head but has switches nobs and patches that can easily be diffined to different ableton jobs...

anyone know the best midi controller for ableton ? under £100 ?

thanks again.

H
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouold say best depends on what you're doing. I have a TriggerFinger, for drums and scene control. I also have aNord G2, which has a few controls set aside for controlling my mix FX. Last, I have an FCB1010, for loop capture & control, resampling, and FX control. It seems there's almost as many MIDI controllers as there are people out there...
pizzamon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: midicontroller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I where to buy a midi controller for Ableton I would buy one with a cross fader. Ableton has a very useful little cross fader that is kinda jerky when assigned to a knob. Assigning a vertical line fader is just as useful, but I like having a dedicated cross fader.
hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so an X-session...

they are bout 75 quid new....

has a cross fader..

been outbid... bah,

H

[editor's note: X-session http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/XSession-main.html --mosc]
pizzamon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: midi controller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hhhmmm, X-session; I think that they bundled that with live 4 for a while. If I'm right it is the evolution product. That's exactly the kind of thing I would get. I hear that a lot of the pro Ableton guys are using the digidesign stuff now too. I use my synth as a controller, so I don't know which ones. M-audio has had a long standing relationship with Ableton. They had the reputation of being beginners gear for a while, but that has been changing recently. The products that they put out are beginning to prove their worth over time, and they are affordable for us poor folks.
hjnewcomb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also autom mapping features on midi controllers any1 tried them ?
pizzamon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's exactly how you will set it up. In the top right hand corner hit the "midi" button. The whole screen turns blue, these are the mappable features of LIVE. Click any mappable feature and it will be outlined, then hit a controller button or knob, or whatever you are mapping to that feature. Live will display controller data at that point to let you know it has been mapped. map a bunch of clips and a few send channels etc., Then hit the "midi" button again to activate the session view. Start hit'n buttons and knobs, poof!
john82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've never really liked the ableton software.
i tried lots of different music softwares, and i think i liked steinberg's software the best - mostly because there are so many plugins made for guitar FX in cubase. but maybe i should give ableton another try ...
Johnny

[Blue Hell: link spam removed]
pizzamon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an old thread, and there are better controllers now. Live 7 is in full swing at this point. You are right in saying that live lacks in some aspects, like sending midi files and SysEx data, but it's strength is in it's ability to be realtime. I don't know any other program that allows you to edit and throw midi clips around like live does.
wainscotting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hjnewcomb wrote:

i'll be trying to record first track on live tonight hopefully see what its like compared to dare i say it.. arageband.

Eh, I've found Garageband to be a decent tool for what I've recorded in the past. Of course, in the past I've focused a lot more on recording loops from guitars and bass; I haven't really tried using it for any hard-core electronic music yet.

And I can't even imagine how anyone would be able to use it as part of a live performance, so Live has it beat right there.

Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: