electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Multiple USB controllers on a MacBook
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Multiple USB controllers on a MacBook Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ran into a weird problem. I had jacked in a BCR2000 and a Korg MicroKontrol into my MacBook Pro, preparing for some fun with Live, but when I tried to map the MicroKontrol pads to clips in Live nothing happened. I tried the MK's keyboard - nothing. I figured it was something wrong with the MIDI settings, so I fiddled around a bit in the MIDI preferences - nothing. I restarted Live (you never know), and then I could play the keyboard. Yay! I hit a pad and then I couldn't play the keyboard anymore.

If I restarted Live (doing nothing else) I could play the keyboard, but as soon as I sent a control using a pad or a knob Live stopped responding to anything from the MK. Also, if I just played the keyboard Live stopped responding after a couple of minutes. Hmm.. I started up Garageband instead, and it reacted in the exact same way! Big hmm. I turned off the BCR2000. The MK started working! I could assign pads to clips in Live and everything.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Can't you connect more than one USB controller at a time to a Mac?! Sad I also have a M-Audio firewire sound interface and a USB hub.

/Stefan

P.S. The spellchecker doesn't recognise "Korg" or "firewire" .

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds really weird. In general, there would be no limits as such. There might be bugs in the macintel compiled code, but I don´t think so. Whenever you see shit like this on a mac, that is usually about really stupid drivers. I dunno. Let me think about this one.

Trivia: I might be picking up a black new Macbook ( one of those that Apple announced earlier today )

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Antimon

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, thanks. I'll try some more combinations later to see if other combinations cause the problem, or if it works when I don't use a USB hub.

/Stefan

Antimon

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I tried it now again, and now there's no problem. Live accepts control changes from both MicroKontrol and BCR2000 at the same time. Maybe it was because it was the first time I plugged them in at the same time, and the Mac needed a restart to get used to it. Rolling Eyes

I turn the things on and off on the fly, it could be that too. Anyway, if you don't see anything more in this thread this is probably nothing to be worried about...

/Stefan

Antimon

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, it's curious how many applications and drivers demand that you reboot the Mac before you can use them. Isn't this supposed to be a Unix-derived system? What if I was running servers on it and stuff? Sure, rebooting the Mac is fast, but still...

/Stefan

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, there is not a known number I can quote. It all depends. Bottom line is that very few drivers and stuff require a reboot, and some do anyway no matter what because that is how they have configured the installer. BTW: Some drivers don´t always do what you think they do and in some instances yes.. they really do require a restart. As for USB devices, most are unproblematic, but osme driver/device combinations will go deaf if you unplug the device and then reconnects it. Then you need a restart. Very little of this has really much to do about OS X as such though.

BTW: Some Epson USB scanner drivers are very amusing. Rolling Eyes

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
brinxmat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Isn't this supposed to be a Unix-derived system? What if I was running servers on it and stuff?

You said it! The Carbon (read OS 9) crud that Apple has dredged back into OS X to appease old-timer Mac developers who didn't like life without creator codes might require a restart, but no UNIX tool should.

Stein is right: you can tick off "Require restart" in Packagemaker even though it is totally unnecessary. Joy! (Why distribute things in packages anyway?)

And what if you're running OS X on servers? Well...

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: