electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
step sequencer swing
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mi_dach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: step sequencer swing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm wondering if the ability to change the time offset for individual steps is a useful/required feature, for creating swingy patterns and 'feel'? I mostly hope to create a sort of gentle beat with clicks and bleeps.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess it is useful and required only if that is the case for your personal interests. I myself don't use this reature much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mi_dach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I guess it is useful and required only if that is the case for your personal interests. I myself don't use this reature much.

Yes but I haven't created much music yet, so I'm not sure if it'll be important to have later on... what about styles like autechre, monolake, the flashbulb, boards of canada, etc.. i like the glitchy scratchy sounds, and enjoy the softer or more minimal works from these artists. Is it all strictly quantized to the beat? I may end up doing a lot of work with loops too. I'm not sure about programming drums at all.

Finally, why is 'autechre' not in the electro-music spellchecker dictionary? Thats a sin.
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i'm not sure the exact timing of individual steps is as important as gate time (step length). also, i think it's really important to either have more than one sequencer, or one that can have each "row" have a differant number of steps...i've never felt that the classic "3 row sequncer" was quite good enough, simply because the rows are glued together.

deknow
Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
or one that can have each "row" have a differant number of steps...i've never felt that the classic "3 row sequncer" was quite good enough, simply because the rows are glued together.

Very interesting! Have you got any views on how something like this could be organized. I'm working on building abstract sequencers in max and this is something I would like to further explore.

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can create interesting tempo effects and groove/feels using lfo's to control lfo's to control the length of time between each step.
anything is then possible in terms of the lengths of time of gate length and or space between each step.
mi_dach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in the middle of constructing my own hardware sequencer. I am aiming to send MIDI signals to PC, to trigger a sampler and send controller data. I don't own modular gear so gate and cv signals are not important. I have most of the hardware components working, and am just getting into the serious programming part now. I'm wondering if I should consider this timing offset thing, and if there is any other cool features that I should plan ahead for...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mi_dach wrote:

Finally, why is 'autechre' not in the electro-music spellchecker dictionary? Thats a sin.

A sin?

I just added it, but I can't put every artist in the spell checker. Please ask nicely next time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Please ask nicely next time.

I personally read it as being a lighthearted way of asking. "sin" is such a strong word that it became a bit of a non-serious remark to my eyes.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

But hey, being sensitive is a very good trait for a composer, I feel.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

I don't think I will... Laughing

Actually... Thanks, mi_dach, for using the SpellCheck thingie in the first place. Smile

deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Very interesting! Have you got any views on how something like this could be organized. I'm working on building abstract sequencers in max and this is something I would like to further explore.

...i don't use max, so i don't have a step by step method for you, but basically you want to run a number of sequencers in paralele (clocked to the same clock)...make one 15 steps, one 7 steps, and one 13 steps, and have each sequencer controlling something differant (ie, pitch, velocity, gate time).

this is really easy to do with the nord g2 demo.

the evolver has this capability built in (4 sequencers that share a common clock, but each can have it's own lenght)....of course the 4 voice poly evolver has 16 sequencers Smile

deknow
Alexander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks deknow..

Once this heatwave is over and I am back to normal (suffered a heavy sunstroke), I will go and make some parallel stepsequencers of different lengths.

Up until now, I created sequencers that just ran, without any rows or steps, all I did was controlling various parameters of each sequence over time, using above described techniques, such as lfo's. Making, for example, twelve copies of those sequencers and running them simultaneously can give beautiful results.

Alexander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I started sketching yesterday, using the 15, 13, 7 row idea you gave me:

Picture 1.png
 Description:
getting ideas..
 Filesize:  58.74 KB
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Picture 1.png

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: