electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Magic Smoke's Thomas Henry Mankato Filter Samples
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys really are too kind.

Wow! 6000 copies! I'm listening now, but on dial-up it's sort of like '1 second of sound, 20 seconds of silence, 1 second of sound. But, it's good sound! I'll have to order the computer to work overnight on it.

I guess I haven't really looked into how to go about releasing something. I'll have to chew on that a while.

Mankato Filter - doesn't look like they've actually started selling the boards - there's still the note about not taking any pre-orders.

WZ, don't worry, if you build it, they will come.

Ooh - the blips have started to sound ominous...sweeet.

Cheers,
Scott
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
if you build it, they will come.

Very Happy I like that

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Wow! 6000 copies!

Yes. I wish my old record label would say wow.

Most independent record labels expect sales of 25,000+

However, there are people out there who are quite happy to do a run of 500+ or so.

So here's a plug for Static Caravan records- who imo, would love to hear your music Smile

http://www.staticcaravan.org/

I'm on there too- right at van04, Ted and Ray- "Songs for the Road" and "Ice Cream Vans Vol 1"- which was a lot of Nord Micro mayhem Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be ecstatic over 10!

I'll check Static Caravan out. Wanta give your stuff a listen, too. Got knocked off last night by the People's Republic of PC.

Cheers,
Scott
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas, do you know what the position is on the Mankato filer and Magic Smoke?? They seem to be taking rather a long time Sad
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Mankato news and a wacky sample Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just a quick update on the status of various and sundry stuff from Magic Smoke.

The Electronic Drum Cookbook PDF is still available for $15. "Making Music with the 566" PDF is coming out next week and will be $10. We'll have a PCB for a VCO that includes all the options listed in the 566 book, but that won't be out for at least a month or two.

Mankato news? Well, I've finished the Mankato PCB design, and prototypes are being ordered as we speak! If these test out okay, commercial boards will be available very soon. The PCB includes all eight outputs, pads for MOTM or DotCom style power connectors, along with short circuit and reverse polarity protection on the power input, and it all fits in a 5" x 4" board. I've done some preliminary tests with my prototype, and it's an impressive little bugger. Thomas' circuit yields a frequency range of 0.004Hz (one cycle every four minutes) to 22.7KHz with no range or capacitor switches! PLEASE NOTE that this is my prototype, and with chip and component variations there will be some differences from board to board, but I would still say that 0.008Hz (one cycle every two minutes) to about 20KHz should be easily achievable. This is roughly a 2,000,000 to 1 range, and believe me, it is a TON of fun to use this thing as an LFO and sweep it through even a fraction of that range. In fact I've attached a goofy, glorpy sound clip I made using the TH-201 Mankato in LFO mode. I'm using two of the outputs (90 deg apart) to FM two ARP Odysseys. The Odys are running a patch where the internal VCF is set to high res, and the S/H is modulating the VCF. The Mankato starts out at audio frequency modulation (about 2KHz), then I sweep it down to a few Hz, and then back up. Like I say, goofy fun.

I'd like to thank both Scott for putting this topic together, and Thomas for such a great VCF design.

Later,

Tim (various and sundry and goofy) Servo

TH-201 as LFO-02.mp3
 Description:
Magic Smoke TH-201 "Mankato" used as an LFO. Two outputs from the TH-201 are patched to two ARP Odysseys, and the TH-201 is swept from about 2KHz to a few cycles a second, and then back. Let the sonic mayhem begin!!

Download
 Filename:  TH-201 as LFO-02.mp3
 Filesize:  640.78 KB
 Downloaded:  1379 Time(s)

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Magic Smoke and stuff Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just one more thing I wanted to say - Thomas Henry has VERY graciously let Magic Smoke reprint his books and designs, and has been very patient while we get this all going. However, please note that Thomas doesn't own or work for Magic Smoke, so he isn't responsible for the delays in getting these books and products like the TH-201 to market. If you have any questions, complaints or problems with Magic Smoke Electronics, PLEASE feel free to contact John Mahoney or myself at Magsmoke@gmail.com

Thanks!!

Tim (IS responsible for the delays) Servo
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim - didn't download the sample, cause I already got it, but I love it!

Glorpiness beyond compare.

*love* that Mankato........multi-phase VCLFO (heck, VCO), voltage slewer, and my favorite filter, ever, all in one package.

Cheers,
Scott
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Scott!

Also, don't forget to listen to the sample in stereo. Through headphones is especially fun, as a different Ody / mod phase of the TH-201 goes to each ear!

Tim (especially fun, or so I'm told) Servo
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moving in stereo Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mankato news and a wacky sample Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:

Mankato news? Well, I've finished the Mankato PCB design, and prototypes are being ordered as we speak!

party time!

Scratch that emotion! I looks like I'm being pushy Shocked Laughing

Great news Tim Very Happy Really looking forward to ordering mine Very Happy

oh yes, welcome to electro-music.com!

bdu

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news! Having spent a week or so with one in my system, the absence is noticed ;0)
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a piece of cheese I recorded with the Mankato a couple of years ago. It's my modular, multi-tracked. I think it was the last thing I recorded using the Baby Sequencer before it was torn out by the roots to make room for something else.

Anyway, the only filter used on it is the Mankato. Keyboard is by Thomas Henry as well. Some of the tracks were recorded through the Dim C and a Korg Analog Delay I got from Jeff. VCAs, LFOs and EGs by Ray and VCO's by Rene. Sounds like a fashion line-up, doesn't it?

Cheers,
Scott

th_filt_delay_dimc.mp3
 Description:
Track featuring Mankato Filter

Download
 Filename:  th_filt_delay_dimc.mp3
 Filesize:  3.06 MB
 Downloaded:  1925 Time(s)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wonderful! Very Happy

It sounds like early Bill Nelson or Plone Very Happy Cool

bitmonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: th_filt_delay_dimc_113.mp3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Wonderful! Very Happy

It sounds like early Bill Nelson or Plone Very Happy Cool

You're right, it does! (Bill Nelson, anyway -- I'm not familiar with Plone.)

Can't wait until I get a Mankato, too. Smile

John (the other half of Magic Smoke)
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome back John!

I really do need to get out more - I'd never heard of either Embarassed

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: But I will now! Thanks, Tom - read about Bill, sounds like interesting stuff. I still have to look up Plone.
bitmonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
welcome back John!

I really do need to get out more - I'd never heard of either Embarassed

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: But I will now! Thanks, Tom - read about Bill, sounds like interesting stuff. I still have to look up Plone.

Nice to be back, thanks. Funny thing is, Mosc didn't know that accounts could go "inactive" until I found that I couldn't log in.

Bill Nelson's claim to fame, as you know by now, was Be Bop Deluxe, in which he became known as a bit of a guitar god. Then he started working alone in his home studio doing more electronic and experimental music. He had a minor New Wave era hit called "Flaming Desire." Man, we used to love that song...

Update: Tim should have the Mankato PCBs in hand by the 19th. Woohoo!!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: th_filt_delay_dimc_113.mp3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bitmonkey wrote:
I'm not familiar with Plone.)

http://www.bearos.freeserve.co.uk/plone.htm

Although Scott's track sounds nothing like these following ones, I can assure you that the pre-Warp ones do/ did! Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And some more interviews with Mike Johnston (ex-Plone) with realplayer interview Cool ;

here

and the ZX Spectrum Orchestra- with viddy's Very Happy ;

here

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. So there's a definite Pram connection going on there as well.

Tell you what, I'll trade you your Birmingham for one Birmingham, Alabama, and throw in, oh, a Wichita, KS. What do you say? Very Happy

Cheers,
Scott
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Tell you what, I'll trade you your Birmingham for one Birmingham, Alabama, and throw in, oh, a Wichita, KS. What do you say? Very Happy

Ahh but no no no no no

Sun Ra (Rosie's favourite jazz musician (well apart from Pharoah Sanders, McCoy Tyner and Alice Coltrane Very Happy )) is from Birmingham, Alabama. My best mate Richard, from here in Moseley named his free-jazz noise outfit Magic City, after Birmingham, AL, so it's all relative y'know Very Happy

Wasn't Pat Metheny from Wichita too? Rosie's not too keen on Metheny (a bit too 'elevator' for her! Laughing ), but I think he has made some excellent music over the years.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See, I wasn't trying to short change you Very Happy

Birmingham, AL would give you a nice injection of blues, and we'd get a nice injection of non-blues. And the musicians we'd get in this case would still be living Very Happy

I believe Pat is from Missouri. Wichita is the birthplace or at least growing-up-place or they-lived-here-at-least-a-couple-of-months-place of luminaries such as Joe Walsh, Don Johnson, Kirstie Alley (her dad still runs a lumber yard here), and Dennis Hopper. Well, actually Dennis may have been from Dodge City(?)

Yes, word has it the TH-201 boards are on their way here from the middle kingdom....

Cheers,
Scott
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Missouri- that's right Smile Embarassed

I've got 'Bright sized life' with Jaco Pastorious on Bass, the Wichita Falls LP and New Chataqua (sorry for my bad spelling? Embarassed ). The last one is beautiful. Any Squarepusher fans should check out Pat Metheny Very Happy

Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: