electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Atari Punk Pots
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 5 [105 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
somasix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Atari Punk Pots Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats on getting this to work completely. I'm probably going to have to redo the veroboard on mine. My current theory is that all of the pins of the 556 chip are not completely soldered onto the copper, but, because it's soldered to the copper side, it's going to be hard to get to those solder joints. I'll keep you posted though.
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
My current theory is that all of the pins of the 556 chip are not completely soldered onto the copper

Thats what my final analysis was. Boy the copper side of my vero is a mess. I need to get some desolder braid or one of those sucker dealies.

microscope

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So after trying this with the 556 chip and not getting it to work Crying or Very sad , I changed tactics and just finished bebn_bebn's layout with the 2 555s and I'm happy to say it finally works Very Happy . I wasn't sure if the cut between the two chips (as Uncle Krunkus pointed out) was a mistake or not but I thought I'd try it with the cut first and it works fine.

If I turn both of the pots all the way in one direction the sound either cuts out or turns to very faint static but I don't think that's a problem. I'm just happy it works.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to know you finally got it working. It happens sometimes. I was trying to build a stompbox the other day. The layouts been verified, Il even built it twice. No go can't figure it out. I'm just gonna set it aside for a while.
Quote:
If I turn both of the pots all the way in one direction the sound either cuts out or turns to very faint static but I don't think that's a problem

mine does this too.

microscope

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just one last question about bebn_bebn's layout - would adding an on/off switch be redundant? Since the negative wire from the battery goes through the tip on the output jack, does that mean that the power is off when it's unplugged?

Thanks
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, when you plug in a chord it turns on.
bobodamunkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: APC 555 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's that blob to the left upper left corner of the vero board layout? is that a pot? or a switch. Also, there is an extra plus sign in between the 2 555's. is that supposed to be there? I am so confused!
bobodamunkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok , cheesh! the blob is the audio out correct? so there is no volume knob on this one?
choklitlove

Audio files: 17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i guess not. you can easily add a volume pot to any project. for most, a 100K will work. audio, linear, log, A, B, any will do fine, but i would use audio or log taper. just wire the output of the circuit to the 3rd lug, the output jack to the middle lug, and ground the 1st lug. use this as sort of a guideline:
http://geocities.com/worthekik/atari.html

hopefully this helps. good luck!
SineSurfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bebn_benb wrote:
here it is with 2 555 chips

Thanks a lot for this one, it's the only one I could make work Very Happy
bobodamunkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:  APC
Subject description: Success
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, after 3 weeks of BB'ing , pcb'ing and pulling my hair out, i finally got the 556 schematic to work. A note to others who have posted that they couldnt;t get it to work, here are a few things that i screwed up on:

1) i got the wrong pots. The guy at Marvac gave me 500ohms instead of 500K. Not to say it was his fault entirely. I asked for 500K but what i got was different and i should have checked.

2) I got 500K audio tapers not 500K linear. DUH!!!

3) i was unable to find the 10nf and 100nf so i got them from a place online and they were not 50V. That was one problem i also overlooked until Nate from natemc.com helped me troubleshoot. Thanks NATE!!!

I decided to use Nates part list from Mouser.com and finally was able to breadboard and get it working successfully.

One question i do have, is in the schematics provided by http://www.getlofi.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/atarilayout.gif

How do you know what voltage to use on the caps? I only know from what Nate used. Did anyone else use the same specs for the caps?
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Usually with caps I look at what is the maximum voltage they are like to "see" (usually the supply) and times that by 2. Then get the next available value.
bobodamunkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, so let me see if i have this correct. If i have a 9V power supply, then i multiply by 2 which equals 18 . so i would look for something above 18, like 20V?
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah,
It's a "maximum voltage rating" which is the maximum voltage which can be put across the cap before it starts to break down. Just like with a resistor's wattage rating, you can over rate it as much as you like. The only limiting factor is size and price. (ie; in both cases a higher rating takes up more physical space and can be harder to fit onto a PCB, into a case etc. and will cost more, especially with large electrolytic caps)

Gus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a build of the dual 555 APC but cant seem to get anything from it; literally no sound whatsoever. I am completely new to this so its most likely something I have done, does anyone have any suggestions? PLEASE! Im really annoyed...
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gus wrote:
I made a build of the dual 555 APC but cant seem to get anything from it; literally no sound whatsoever. I am completely new to this so its most likely something I have done, does anyone have any suggestions? PLEASE! Im really annoyed...

Did you build it based on the pic on page 1 (apc555)? I've got a feeling a few people have had problems with that. I've been meaning to check it, but just haven't had the time.

Gus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: dual 555 APC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finally got one oscillator to work by shorting the circuit with my fingers. The 500k pots seem to have little to no effect however, I may be bypassing them with my fingers. I think it needs more work...any suggestions?
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: dual 555 APC Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems to have gone again, nothing working again, checked the power supply and this seems to be dead, although only with the jack output connected...no clue why. very confused. Just to double check, the 555's are supposed to be on the board side rather than the copper side? Does anyone know of a good APC build because many seem to be yielding problems...
thanks alot for the reply!
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted to check that stripboard layout the other day against the original schematic. But I checked Aaron's website, and I can't find it anymore. So if you can find me the schem, I'll check it.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: big time error in layouts Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just ran into this thread and thought I would have a look at why so many people have had problems. I believe the trouble is that there is an error in the two stripboard layouts people have been using.

The error is that one of the timer reset pins is not connected to the V+ supply, or to anything else, as far as that goes. It's the same error in the 556 layout and the 2x555 layout.

For the 2x555 layout, a jumper needs to be connected from pin4 of the upper device to the + battery terminal. The easiest way to do this is to actually jumper the two pin 4's together.

For the 556 layout, it is pin 4 that needs to be jumpered to the + side of the battery. Note that the layout here ...
http://geocities.com/worthekik/atari.html
has pin 4 correctly connected.

It is not clear exactly what problem leaving the reset pin floating would create, but it could possibly lead to the kind of flakey behavior people have been seeing.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Humm, I've built 6 APC's from the 556 aron nelson stripboard and they all "seem" to work fine. They sound like the sound samples. Albeit, I do get alittle sparking when one of the pots is low, but I heard other people say that. I can not comment on the dual 555. I still have a few unboxed I'll have to jumper with a test lead and see what happens. It clearly is connected to 9V+ in the schem though, good eye.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UK the schem is here http://compiler.kaustic.net/machines/apc.html
frijitz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
Humm, I've built 6 APC's from the 556 aron nelson stripboard and they all "seem" to work fine. They sound like the sound samples. Albeit, I do get alittle sparking when one of the pots is low, but I heard other people say that. I can not comment on the dual 555. I still have a few unboxed I'll have to jumper with a test lead and see what happens.

Yes, but others report that they can't make it work. You may just have lucked onto a batch of devices or devices from a certain manufacturer that work OK. But it's extremely bad practice to leave digital inputs unconnected, especially when operation requires them to be in a certain state. The original Mims design does have pin 4 connected. So does every other 555/556 design I have ever seen anywhere. Can you show me any other design where this pin is not connected Question
frijitz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
UK the schem is here http://compiler.kaustic.net/machines/apc.html

No, that is not the schematic of the layout at the aronnelson site. The kaustic schematic has pin 4 connected to V+, as it should be. The aronnelson one has pin 4 disconnected.
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album145/ATARI_PUNK_CONSOLE_VERO_001
Laughing
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You may just have lucked onto a batch of devices or devices from a certain manufacturer that work OK

And this is not intented to be combative, but I don't think you can call 6 working builds from the same layout luck. I was just saying I have built using the stripboard layout and it works, whether they are working correctly, well I'm not sure. I built the first one a year ago and it still works. You can clearly see both schems have it connected. You said your not sure what would happen if it was not connected.
Quote:
it's extremely bad practice to leave digital inputs unconnected, especially when operation requires them to be in a certain state
true, but Mine work. Also I want to jumper pin 4 to 9V+ and see what happens tonight. But as far as anyone building this circuit definately do what frijitz says cause thats what both schems say.

Sorry just sticking up for myself and stating that it should at least fire up and make sound like the sample if using the 556 stripboard layout, but they should be corrected. I'll make a post at the stompbox forum.

Quote:
I wanted to check that stripboard layout the other day against the original schematic

boy you really have it out for me Laughing Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 5 [105 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: