electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Supercollider
any interest in supercollider 3?
Page 2 of 3 [59 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
i wrote Dave and he responded more or less immediately with a link to download the latest version of his course materials. i also mentioned this forum. Wink

excellent!

I wonder if he will grant us permission to set the link in the links page on electro-music.com?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
royhinckley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: any interest in supercollider 3? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

Always good to see some interest in SC3. I've gone over this thread and here are some comments:

Re: Max. Max is more popular, but I think that's because the interface is a little more accessible. I've taught both, and students get stuck just as much in Max as SC. I tried teaching last semester with just Max and got frustrated about 3 weeks in. You just can't be as complex as fast. So now I start with SC (it's actually easier to teach basics; you have to know what the numbers mean), then we go to Logic, then Max.

Re: Mac version installation. For the Mac version I always go to the Wesleyan site. They do daily builds. Just download, unstuff, and blast off.

http://supercollider.wesleyan.edu/

Re: The tutorial. I don't mind mentioning the tutorial here but I would rather not just put a copy or a link up. I don't want old copies floating around. I maintain a list server with the emails of people who have requested it, so I can let everyone know when there is a new edition. The reason I ask for email requests is that each email reminds me that it's being used and keeps me interested in writing. I also find satisfaction in hearing how it's being used and what kind of projects people are doing.

Re: Logic. We took a close look at logic two years ago and took the plunge this year. In order to learn it better I've done all my projects in Logic this year and use it in all my courses. We do still include some PTs, since it is still used so much, but Logic is close enough that I don't worry about students moving back and forth, and while a few students who have switched still prefer the editing methods in PTs we all agree Logic is impressive to say the least. There are some jaw dropping features, a few not fully baked. Even so, I get the impression they filled a room with PTs users and asked what they would like changed. It has built in synthesizers which include component modeling. To my knowledge the only commercially available package that does.

A short list:

-Bundled with competitive DSP plugins
-Built in synth modules, including component modeling
-Does not require external hardware. A huge plus over PTs
-Relatively inexpensive.
-Slave/Master (for us, with a room full of intel machines this is a powerful tool) = nearly unlimited power.
-Includes notation, MIDI, Audio
-Apple Loops and beat mapping.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Well with Mac it's a piece of piss. Download the file, expand it in Stuffit and place the folder in your applications folder.

Well I'll hold on the 'piece of piss' bit for now. As I expected, one downloads SC3, unstuffs the tar.gz file and I then dropped it into the application folder.

So far so good. The usual localhost and internal windows pop up after double-clicking on the SC application. I highlighted what I thought I needed to highlight and SC swiftly responded to tell me what I had just done. (It's like that quote from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where Arthur Dent presses a button and a little light lights up to tell you not to press that button again!- if you see what I mean Wink Laughing )

I seem to remember that one of the servers has to be activated. Tried that, on both, alas to no effect.........

anyone else care to shed some light? (btw the OS9 version is a lot easier than this!)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: any interest in supercollider 3? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

royhinckley wrote:
Hey guys,

Hey Roy (I presume that's your name?- sorry for my ignorance Very Happy)

welcome to electro-music.com!

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to give this a shot, tonight, on OS X, so hopefully we can all figure this out in a speedy fashion.
Yes, welcome, indeed!

Do you happen to have course materials for Max/MSP like you do for SC3? I'm really enjoying reading the SC3 document. I can also see why you teach this before Max/MSP. I think this'll be a big help all around, for me, since I plan to use both.
royhinckley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: any interest in supercollider 3? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
royhinckley wrote:
Hey guys,

No, it's Dave Cottle. Roy is an alias.

I've thought about including Max examples, but have never gotten around to it.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EUREKA!!!!!!!!

It works- fantastically!

I highly recommend that one starts with the help tutorial first. You can find this on the toolbar at the top..."under SC help"

You need to boot the localhost server. But do read the help file. It's very good Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: any interest in supercollider 3? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

royhinckley wrote:

Dave. I'm gobsmacked!

a BIG welcome again Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh dear. I couldn't work out how to make it stop. I used to know but couldn't remember- so I quit the localhost. SC didn't like that very much Embarassed

What do we need to do to stop?

(PS- I've quit the program. I'll try running again.

....phew, back to normal again.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
(Press and hold Cmd (the Apple key) and then press period to stop the sound started above.)

here we go. text panic! Shocked Very Happy

Good. Now back to my rtf files.

majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! big discovery. I wrote the supercollider list asking about sc3 gui on the sonenvir windows build. I even posted paul e. 's code to show exactly what I wanted to run. This is what I got in response:

"I'm not sure where GUIScreen comes from (maybe it's part of the SCUM gui package?), but to my knowledge it isn't a part of SwingOSC. SwingOSC should be using classes like JSCWindow, JSCSlider, JSCStaticText etc.

Maybe this is code for sc2, which won't work in sc3."

Very Happy

I have asked for sample gui code in sc3 and hope to get some soon. I might already be on my way. Windows build GUI may be functioning perfectly already. I will keep you up to date.
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi again

that is code for SC3 , i am pretty sure..SuperCollider3d5.1 at any rate...os 9

however, there may be some GUI differences between Mac OS9 version and Pc due to graphic card support....just a guess

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

So yes Uncle Mosc, can we have a SuperCollider section/forum on E-M??

Done, under Instruments and Equipment. Very Happy

Moving this one there to be the first topic in that new forum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guys...thought i would post an experiment i did using SC3 a while back

it's kind of 'dark ambient'.....for the purpose of mixing visuals{VJ-style} in real time along with this music over a PA

anywho...here it is...

sudden_the_door.mp3
 Description:
SC3 'soundscape'...patches mixed together...and some analog delay

Download
 Filename:  sudden_the_door.mp3
 Filesize:  7.08 MB
 Downloaded:  1166 Time(s)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's 8.15am and I just got up. Cheers for posting this Paul Smile It goes very well with coffee, marmalade and toast Very Happy

Can you remember how it was made?

PS I love the "ding-dong" bit. Like anwering the door to someone after you've had a bit too much to smoke, and then not knowing what to do Shocked Laughing

astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: any interest in supercollider 3? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

royhinckley wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
royhinckley wrote:
Hey guys,

I've thought about including Max examples, but have never gotten around to it.

dave, thank you so much for your amazing work on those tutorials. i'm seriously considering naming my firstborn after you. well, it's a tossup between you and james. jave? dames? i dunno

astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Code:
(
w = SCWindow.new("I catch keystrokes");
w.view.keyDownAction = { arg view, char, modifiers, unicode, keycode;  [char, keycode].postln; };
w.front;
)

w.front;

SynthDef("sinegrain1",
   { arg out=0, freq=440, pan, db;
      var env;
      env = EnvGen.kr(Env.perc(MouseButton.kr(0.08, 0.005), KeyState.kr(0,0.1,1.5), db), doneAction:2);
      Out.ar(out, Pan2.ar(PMOsc.ar(freq, MouseX.kr(1,10000,1), MouseY.kr(0,100), 0, env), pan))
   }).store;

var pattern;

pattern = Ppar([
(Pbind(
   \octave,  [4],
   \degree, Pwrand([0,1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37,39], #[4,2,1,2,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1].normalizeSum, 33),
   \dur, (1/9),
   \stepsPerOctave, 31,
   \scale, #[1,8,11,14,19,24,29],
   \db, Pwhite(0,0.6),
   \pan, Prand([-1,-0.5,0,0.5,1], 33),
   \instrument, "sinegrain1"
   )),
(Pbind(
   \octave, [4],
   \degree, Pwrand([1,3,5,7], #[2,1,2,2,2].normalizeSum, 6),   \dur, (11/18),
   \db, Pwhite(0,0.8),
   \pan, Prand([-1,-0.5,0,0.5,1], 6),
   \instrument, "sinegrain1",
   \stepsPerOctave, 31,
   \scale, #[1,8,11,14,19,24,29])),
(Pbind(
   \octave, [3],
   \degree, Pwrand([1,3,5,7], #[2,1,2,2,2].normalizeSum, 6),   \dur, (11/18),
   \db, Pwhite(0,0.8),
   \pan, Prand([-1,-0.5,0,0.5,1], 6),
   \stepsPerOctave, 31,
(Pbind(
   \octave, [3],
   \degree, Pwrand([1,3,5,7], #[2,1,2,2].normalizeSum, 11),   \dur, (1/3),
   \db, Pwhite(0,0.8),
   \pan, Prand([-1,-0.5,0,0.5,1], 11),
   \stepsPerOctave, 31,
(Pbind(
   \octave, [2],
   \degree, Pwrand([1,3,5,7], #[2,1,2,2].normalizeSum, 3),   \dur, (11/9),
   \db, Pwhite(0,0.8),
   \pan, Prand([-1,-0.5,0,0.5,1], 3),
   \stepsPerOctave, 31,
   \scale, #[1,8,11,14,19,24,29]))]);
Paddp(\mtranspose, Pbrown(0.0,7.0,1), pattern,
   \ctranspose, Pbrown(-12.0,12.0,1), pattern).play;

so, to make this work (it's an sc3), you highlight the first paragraph, hit enter, then highlight the synthdef and hit enter, and then highlight everything from var pattern on and hit enter

click on the little "i catch keystrokes" window and hold down the mouse key for an envelope, the "a" key for sustain, move the mouse around the screen. i used it in a song. it's a 31 tet 33/4 180 bpm pattern.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

astroid power-up! wrote:

so, to make this work (it's an sc3), you highlight the first paragraph, hit enter, then highlight the synthdef and hit enter, and then highlight everything from var pattern on and hit enter

Any chance of being a little more specific? I understand the first bit, but I'm stumped after that.

Do you click on "w.front;" or "SynthDef" afterwards? clicking on 'SynthDef" only highlights that word.

I'm a beginner- and several others will be too. It looks like a great patch but it's important that newbies can grasp this too Wink

majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's very easy to use gui in psycollider. lol

another quote from the sclist:

"I think the easiest is to put the letter "J" before those gui classess,

so for example if anything has '.scope' I think you alter it to be '.jscope I don't have the pc just now, but I seem to recall it is that simple...

the MouseX.kr becomes JMouseX.kr, although to control it you need to bring up a graphic 'tablet' with JMouseBase.makeGUI wait for a second and... presto ! the java tablet appears...

similarly when you get into making gui stuff instead of SCWindow, for instance, you write JSCWindow.

in psycollider help (press F1) you will find a file called 'Cocoa Vs. Java', and that will show you all the 'J' equivalences !!

Alberto de Campo is working on a class that will allow you to choose which GUI system to use, java or cocoa, and he showed this at the symposium... I don't think it is ready yet, though..." julio descrivan

i basically add a j to everything you have paule. and that's how you do windows sc3!

now i'm really having fun!!!

brian
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Any chance of being a little more specific? I understand the first bit, but I'm stumped after that.

Okay. Got it working Smile

But what's the point of the "I catch keystrokes" window? A wry nod in the direction of the mouse position?

Firefox on Acid! Cool

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

majutsu wrote:

now i'm really having fun!!!

brian

Brian, you're not alone! Laughing Cool

cebec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got SC3 running last night and worked through the Getting Started .rtfs. It's really very intuitive after awhile. Next, I'll finish those and move on to Dave's excellent text. I'm definitely having fun!
Oh, does anyone else notice a short lag between pressing cmd-. and the mouse pointer becoming responsive, again?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
I'm definitely having fun!

Very Happy

cebec wrote:

Oh, does anyone else notice a short lag between pressing cmd-. and the mouse pointer becoming responsive, again?

I haven't noticed a lag. I'm using Panther (10.3.9) on my Ti 500MHz PB with a Logitech Trackman Mk 1 connected- if that's any help?

Is your Mac an Intel version?

cebec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Is your Mac an Intel version?

Yup, running 10.4.7. I guess SC3 is being translated via Rosetta, then, most likely?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
I guess SC3 is being translated via Rosetta, then, most likely?

could be. Are you using the universal binary build? probably a stupid question Wink

You could mention it to the Wesleyan institution. they may want to look into that?

as SC is a Mac native application- it should work flawlessly (which it does pretty much). of course, there have been a few hiccups in the rosetta translation Smile

Page 2 of 3 [59 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Supercollider
Jump to: