electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
suggestions for a 4P4T logic switch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SuperKoopa

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: suggestions for a 4P4T logic switch? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
I want to built a 4P4T using a logic circuit ( something like flip flop) and four momentary push buttons .

I don't know if you understand me but when you have a rotary 4P4T switch you can't jump from position 1 to position 4 directly.This is why I want 4 momentary push buttons that I can push indipendently .

Please Help me ,I know that It isn't a too much complex thing to do but I don't understand nothing of logic circuits!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What are you going to switch with this device?

Is it bidirectional (4 in -> 1 out and 1 in -> 4 out)?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to build a 4* Ds7 clone and drive it with a simple 16 step gate sequencer with four columns of 16 position dip switces.
In this way i have four different preset sequences for each output.

I don't know if you have understand

Look at the picture: the green square is the sequencer (with 16 Outputs)

each of these 16 Output is Connected with 16 pins of each dip switch (red squares).

Each output of dip switches is connected to the 4P4T switch (yellow square) , the red line means that each toggle is dependent to the others.

Connecting the outputs to the four trigger inputs of my 4*ds7 i will get a presettable drum machine.

Have you understand what i need ?

Drum machine.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.27 KB
 Viewed:  3100 Time(s)

Drum machine.JPG

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 608

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They used to sell mechanical push switches that interlocked in banks. Pressing one would make any other that was pressed down, pop up.
The original 'radio button'.
Are they extinct now?
A digital solution would be much cooler.
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This Programmer article from Synapse Magazine may be of use.

Its a matrix of presets.. I made one that's three by three and its pretty damn useful - parts of it may give pointers to making what you're after

SuperKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks to all!

Hey bug I don't really understand what is the core of the schematics that you've linked.
I don't need any pot ,just four push switches.
Can you help me to separate the part of the circuit that interest to me?
bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well... lets try to sum it up::::
(we'll take a 3 by 3 matrix like I built as an example)

Imagine a grid three by three - so each column has three knobs and at the side of each row there's a button. In each column, one knob is active at any time - selected by the row button you pressed last (or was triggered).

So the core that I figured was important for you was the way that it selects the row dependent on which button was pressed last -- ie, only one row selected at any time.

This design can be expanded in either direction... Yes, took me a while to get my head around it..

Looking at the schematic:

1) The bit on the lefthand side - I left this off in my one - this generates a common pulse - so makes a pulse whenever ANY of the buttons is pressed.

2) You only need ONE of the transistor bits at the bottom -around point C - this makes sure that only one button can be active at any time.

3) the other transistor parts are then repeated for each button - you get a Button or Row output at the common join point for pots P1 -> Pn. So when the row's button is pressed (or a trigger input is received) the voltage will be high at point P1 -> Pn.

4) there's then the summer - one required for each column - but you'd maybe be changing this part for your design..

4)

SuperKoopa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks bug I'm shure that you are a real electronic expert but with transistors i'm a dumb Rolling Eyes

Sorry!

I've experimented some circuits with a simulation software.

I can turn on and off four leds with four flip flops and four triple OR gates.

If the voltage that came out from each flip flop is big enough I can drive four NPN transistor for each flip flop , or one 4066 chip for each flip flop.

Rigth?

flipflop.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.49 KB
 Viewed:  3047 Time(s)

flipflop.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: