electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Super Klee Sequencer
Page 14 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:
Subject description: follow up
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
it ONLY doesn't like firefox, it seems. never had a problem with IE6. hope i can locate the problem and close the case during next week...

here we go!!! i built the site from scratch and now it works with mozilla firefox 2.0. not that i know what ever the problem was (the index of object that tells the "what's behind what and what's in front front of..." is under suspicion but not sentenced...).
i will add the obligatory link to scotts site tomorrow and then work on the PCBs again...

the PCBs will not be professional PCBs but single layer PCBs optimized for press'n'peel blue, so there'll be no run.
if anyone thinks it would be a good idea to have professional PCBexpress layouts, let me know. anyway i will finish the simple layouts first.

cheers,
matthias
Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're actually working on pcb's? That's great, though I'm still thinking vero is the way to go for me. But it is always nice to have an alternative, of course...

C
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
You're actually working on pcb's? That's great, though I'm still thinking vero is the way to go for me. But it is always nice to have an alternative, of course...

The advantages of vero is that you don't have to drill anything Very Happy

(sorry- stating the bleedin' obvious again hehe Wink )

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I'm not getting enough sleep

no, keep it up! Sounds like early BBC Radiophonic Workshop Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exactly! No drilling! More drill-free projects!

C
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the main reason for me that i started to etch my own PCBs is the fact that i build my modular in eurorack format. i use cliff jack sockets and i think it's very nifty to mount the PCBs using the PCB mounted cliff jack sockets. this way i don't have to do brackets, there's less wiring and it's ... nifty Wink
with more practice i even found the drilling not that boring at all. i do it with a dremel without stand (shooting from the hip). it goes pewww, pewww, pewww and there are three holes Smile
there are arguments for vero's and for etching - it a matter of taste, isn't it?

cheers,
matthias
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well,
there won't be any vero's (stripboard) if I don't pull my finger out and get back to it. I've been kind of obsessed with the Sorcerer for a few weeks now. I'm also cleaning up the Lab, so I'll dig out the schems (probably need new ones by now) and have another look at the scaler/decoder board. I'm thinking about changing over to the constant current source -> resistor ladder version, no-ones got any problems with that have they? I better go check that Scott did the schem for it! Smile

Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm, maybe I should try drilling without the stand as well. I get hunchback and a sore wrist from using that little drillpress (Proxxon, not Dremel, in my case). Worst part is the fumes from the drilling. Have to open the window, and it's winter here... Noise is a problem too - it has an annoying whine, and I'm doing this on my livingroom table. Can't do it when the ole lady is home, which she always is, since she's on leave. Yadayadayada.

C
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I think I went into a Klee Trance for about half an hour!

Working with this thing is certainly trance inducing, either that or it's a time machine. I start twiddling with it, and before I know it, an hour or two has just vanished.

Quote:
no, keep it up! Sounds like early BBC Radiophonic Workshop

I wonder if that subconciously made me think to call Iris' pet squid "Delia"?

Uncle K, definitely the Sorceror should take top priority over anything - it's shaping out to be one mean machine!

Cheers,
Scott
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I start twiddling with it, and before I know it, an hour or two has just vanished.

What? backwards?? Shocked

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What? backwards??

Not according to the Morlocks.
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man.... can't wait till there are pcb's avaiable.
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

me too! work progress is slow though. my plan is to have a set of PCBs optimized for press'n'peel blue. that means: 0.4 with of tracks, single layer. and i design these layouts for my personal use. that means: there'll be "main boards" with most of the circuitry and "I/O" boards for the panel mounted pots and switches and these things. one will easily be able to omit these I/Os...

if anybody developed layouts for a professional run, i'd be glad. i don't have the strength and the nerve for now.

cheers,
matthias
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Man! Shocked
I just put on the first one in repeat mode and started checking out the "visualisations" in media player. I think I went into a Klee Trance for about half an hour! Laughing Confused Rolling Eyes

Hey Unka-K you gotta check-out G-force visualiser by Soundspectrum- it's the business Cool !!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

The 291 thread inspired me to pull out my 291 filter, which is on protoboard, and do a Klee quickie using it.

What a lovely filter! One of the best I've heard in ages Cool Really bubbly and watery Very Happy

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik,

Press-n-peel is fine by me. Thank you for laying it out for us!

Romeo
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik, why don't you just send us a piece of press 'n' peel- then we can do the transfere. Save a bit of work for you?
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Fonik, why don't you just send us a piece of press 'n' peel- then we can do the transfere. Save a bit of work for you?

Actually, all i was hoping for was the layout artwork--i assumed that i'd have to print the art to press-n-peel and do the actual PCBs myself. For me, the layout is the tuff part, and all thanks to fonik and all others who've contributed their talents doin' these...

bbob
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Man! Shocked
I just put on the first one in repeat mode and started checking out the "visualisations" in media player. I think I went into a Klee Trance for about half an hour! Laughing Confused Rolling Eyes

Hey Unka-K you gotta check-out G-force visualiser by Soundspectrum- it's the business Cool !!

This struck a chord with me. I'm fascinated by these types of visualization programs, but don't know much about them. So, I started a new forum for Visualizations and VJ techniques and posted the first post there - http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-14546.html

If your are interested, please check it out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

okay, i still messed around with the frontpanel layout, but now i am satisfied with that. Embarassed
so tomorrow i will start redrawing the schematics and designing the layouts (i'm using expressPCB, which has the neat feature to link the schematics to the layout file - this way you can always check, that your network on the PCB is correct according to the schematic)
i do this all during the lunch brakes at work so be patient and maybe some day uncle krunkus comes up with alternate stripboards anyway?

cheers,
matthias
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the stripboard layouts are coming. Just very slowly. Embarassed
I've been pretty obsessed with getting the Sorcerer wired up, and I've just started the process of setting up my own business, including doing my own web site. Smile Rolling Eyes

fonik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
[...]I haven't included it on the schematics, but a simple toggle switch to prevent the clock from shifting the sequence would be handy[...]

is this SW18 on schematic clock and load rev 2.00?
BTW while editing your schematics for use in expressPCB i found two switches with the same index: Manual Load and Manual Step are both SW19.

cheers,
matthias (under pressure)
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Had to leave town on a service trip, but I'm back now. Huge ICT machines that just tear your hands to shreds pulling these gargantuan boards out and shoving them back in. Not part of my new position, but a hold-over/previous obligation from my last position. Anyhoo...,

Quote:
is this SW18 on schematic clock and load rev 2.00?

Right - actually that was put on from your first layout of the panel - it was something I'd not considered putting in, but is really essential if one is working with randomly generated patterns. If one found a pattern one wanted to 'save', it's a matter of flippling the switch, and then setting the pattern switches corresponding to the 'on' LED's 'up' (or down, if you're in Australia Very Happy ) and the rest in the opposite state for all of the 'off' LED's. If that switch weren't there, one would have to unplug the LFO driving it, or turn the LFO off.

Quote:
BTW while editing your schematics for use in expressPCB i found two switches with the same index: Manual Load and Manual Step are both SW19.

Ahhhh....dang. Guess there's another rev coming. Really, the proper thing to do would be to individually designate all of the components (unlike now, where each sheet starts at R1, C1, etc. etc.).

Quote:
What a lovely filter! One of the best I've heard in ages Really bubbly and watery

The filter is really in a class all its own - I've never used anything that sounds remotely like it. It can be bubbly and watery, or sharp and biting, all in one phrase (thanks in large part to being able to manipulate the BW).

Last weekend I uploaded a rather long sample to the Klee sound page "Buns of Klee" here:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id24.html

It's the sample "Klee_291BP" at the bottom and uses the original BP output with FM. It's the filter behind the sequence heard at the beginning, and throughout. Recorded as with all of the Klee samples in one take (no multi-track). It's frenetic, and long (3.5 MB) so I never uploaded it to electro-music.

BTW, I don't think I mentioned this link before, but it has all of the samples that have been uploaded to this thread in one spot. There are a few extra in there as well. They're listed in chronological order of when they were recorded. The idea is that I'm going to put the same notes from the thread with the samples, but that hasn't happened yet.

Cheerios,
Scott
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Really, the proper thing to do would be to individually designate all of the components (unlike now, where each sheet starts at R1, C1, etc. etc.).

that's what i'm gonna do. i have to review and edit all the .sch-files in order to use them as reference for the .pcb-files. once i uploaded the layouts one will have to check them according to the schematics...

bye, bye and have a nice weekend (yes, i decided to go into the weekend now)
matthias

p.s.: i'm really excited about that project but it's hard to keep on track with all the other ideas (like more filters for my modular...)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
p.s.: i'm really excited about that project but it's hard to keep on track with all the other ideas (like more filters for my modular...)

Have you tried a mind map? Works for me Very Happy

IDEA!.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.06 KB
 Viewed:  9597 Time(s)

IDEA!.png

Page 14 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: