electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Super Klee Sequencer
Page 18 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a sample that really pushes the Klee (and my synth) to its limits. Before what samples I'd made using drum voices had a single drum voice

The Klee is controlling seven voices (I know the MP3 description says six voices, but I started the load before I wrote this and got the number wrong - on dial-up, I'll live with it):

1. Thomas Henry UD1 Drum Voice (as the kick)
2. CGS Tom Tom
3. CGS Cynare High Hat
4. Pulse VCO through the 2040 Clone Filter
5. Pulse VCO through the Triple Wilson SVVCF (configured as a BW variable BP filter)
6. Blacet DSC2000
7. 1/2 Dual Late MS-20 Filter in self resonance through the CGS Wave Multiplier through the second half of the Late MS-20 Filter, set as LP, high resonance.

Voice number 7 is one I've really kind of fallen for - it uses one half of my dual MS-20 in self resonance, so it's acting as a VCO. I pipe that signal into the CGS Wave Multiplier, then back through the other half of the MS-20 filter to filter that signal. The filter is modulated by an AR EG, which also modulates the VCA the signal passes through after the filter, and the ADSR EG that is controlling the 2040 filter and its VCA. The Wave Multiplier folds function is modulated by the EG that is controlling the Triple Res Filter and its VCA, and the offset is modulated by the EG that is controlling the 2040 filter and its VCA.

The EGs in my triple EG module each have a time constant switch - they set the EGs response from very snappy to extended through three positions. In this sample, I use the short and mid settings on each EG. With the configuration I have described above, setting the time constant on the EGs controlling the VCO signals not only affects the those voices, but also the voice being processed by the wave multiplier and the MS-20 filter. The combinations of these switch settings let me set eight 'voice modes' throughout the piece, which adds a lot of variation.

The bassline of the song is the VCO through the 2040 filter. The highly resonant voice is the Triple SVVCF, and the menacing, growly, distant voice is voice seven - the resonance of the MS-20 filter processed to the point where it no longer resembles a resonant filter.

The DSC2000 (which could easily be done by an SN-Voice in this example, I haven't built mine yet) is mixed in after the song begins. Around the middle of the song, I crank the frequency up in an ascending/descending kind of motif - it's stepped, because its frequency is also being controlled by the Klee. The only other control I touched throughout the piece, besides the EG switches, was the frequency control of the Triple SVVCF - I adjust it up about a quarter of the way through the piece.

One pulse LFO from my quad LFO module is clocking the Klee. One triangle LFO is used to vary the 2040 voice, and one triangle LFO is used to vary the Triple SVVCF voice.

The drums are controlled from Gate Busses 1, 2 and 3. The voice EGs are triggered from combinations of gates and triggers from different bus outputs. The pattern used to generate the sequence was five bits (five lit LEDs). As fast as it moves along, the Klee really lit up on this one.

The song itself is quite frenzied and very busy, and I really like it myself - it's quite different than any Klee example yet, I think. It requires big speakers, high volume, and understanding neighbors Very Happy . It's all one take - no overdubbing. I wish I could have recorded it in stereo, but I had to run all seven voices through my mixer module which used both channels just to provide the output. My computer speakers didn't do it justice, and I nearly scrapped til I played it on my home stereo.

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: File restored after crash of '07.

klee_gatebus_frenzy.mp3
 Description:
Model 2 Klee Controlling Six Voices

Download
 Filename:  klee_gatebus_frenzy.mp3
 Filesize:  4.74 MB
 Downloaded:  1883 Time(s)

Last edited by Scott Stites on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
it's quite different than any Klee example yet, I think.

Laughing quite so, but I like this one as well. Thanks for posting it (especially considering the dial-up link Very Happy ).

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The spirit of '93?

Oh endless fun Very Happy

can't wait to get busy with that iron again. I'm busy taking a break from a weekend of Finite Element Analysis in ANSYS Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice track, Scott... thumb up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really want to check this track out, but my audio gear is out of action while I finish my rack cabinet. Crying or Very sad
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The spirit of '93?

All it needs is the strobe lights Very Happy

Thanks guys. Hey Uncle K, it'll be there a while.

Will the rack cab hold the Sorceror?
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Will the rack cab hold the Sorceror?

It will contain (eventually) The Sorcerer, SoundLab, MKS-30, GS-6, 2*Microverbs, The Three BBD Amigos, AutEQ, Compressor, Mixer, CD player, and two amps.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-16004.html

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bass voice and kick: Thomas Henry VCO, VCA, Mankato Filter, Wilson ADSR - pulse patched through filter/VCA, sine applied directly to mixer).

High Voice: Schmitz VCO3n Sawtooth, 2040 Clone Filter, Wilson EG.

Third Voice: Blacet DSC2000 mixed directly into mixer.

Controller: Klee Sequencer clocked by Wilson LFO.

Vocals: Our Triclopian Beauty, Iris.

Recorded in one take (no Klee overdubbing, short brief intro recorded separately as one take). Iris overdubbed her vocals.

Her message may seem cryptic, but soon enough it will make sense.

Do....you Klee?

Edit: File restored after crash of '07.

do_you_klee.mp3
 Description:
Iris asks the eternal question.....

Download
 Filename:  do_you_klee.mp3
 Filesize:  2.44 MB
 Downloaded:  1228 Time(s)

Last edited by Scott Stites on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that's my favorite so far Scott. Iris's vocals and the sound remind me a lot of Coin. Slightly OT, Yesterday I was parusing the local bookseller and happened across a magnet with the following text: "The more horrifying the world becomes, the more art becomes abstract." -Paul Klee
Of course, I just had to get it. So as I'm checking out, the girl at the counter asks me if I'm a fan of Klee's art to which I replied, "I dunno, but his sequencers really knock my socks off!"
She was understandably confused.
-justin
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
She was understandably confused.

Very Happy Now that's funny...

Quote:
"The more horrifying the world becomes, the more art becomes abstract." -Paul Klee

That's great - I'd never heard that one. Thanks for sharing it - I may have a use for that quote.

This sequence, BTW, was just sort of one of those things that popped out of the Klee (things are always just 'popping out' of it, as long as power and a clock is applied). I was testing a new function. It was one suggested by Jan so far back I can't find the exact reference - he'd tried it out on the Nord and like the effect. So happens not much had to change - there was one unused inverter, and it can be switched in and out of the recirculation path. I put it on the output of the second shift register, so it feeds register A in 16X1 and register B in 8X2.

Now, 8X2 with the switch in the inverting position will render eight steps on output A, and sixteen steps on outputs B & A+B. In 16X1, it'll render 32 steps on each output. Of course, it doesn't just change the number of steps, it basically turns the Klee pattern inside out. Or a mirror image, one of those thingies...

I never did pursue using EXOR gates to get total randomness - the random input does that well enough, but I wish I would have explored them more with the gate bus. Too late now Wink

Take care,
Scott

krisp14u

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hay scott that is beautiful. Nice work looking forwards to the album Smile

Scott Stites wrote:

Her message may seem cryptic, but soon enough it will make sense.

Do....you Klee?

No but i feel i would love to klee albino

is anyone with the skill going to have a go at a PCB/PCB's for this or am i going to have to have a go at strip board Shocked but i don't think i'm up to it Embarassed

Paul D

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Krisp!

Check out Iris' last line. Wink

There's game afoot....

Cheers,
Scott

krisp14u

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL now i get it ( I hope ) Very Happy

cheers

Paul D

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Check out Iris' last line. Wink

And there is no need to to even reverse play it ?

Another nice track, even without the hidden layers Very Happy

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if it weren't for you trying it out the inverter on Nord so long ago then mentioning what you'd done, the Klee wouldn't have been able to produce that pattern to begin with (I don't think I would have ever tried it) Very Happy

Backwards! Dang, why didn't I think of that.....

Cheers,
Scott

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Are you sure that you are not married to Laurie Anderson?? Shocked Very Happy

Yes, I'd rather not have to strip to build it either Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Scott Stites wrote:

Are you sure that you are not married to Laurie Anderson?? Shocked Very Happy

Yes, I'd rather not have to strip to build it either Wink

I heard she was hanging out with Lou Reed. For 13 years...so far

Home,My Studio,and another view
creekree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oi - that was beautiful.
i have been lurking within this thread for some time now and i came to the conclusion that i definitively lack a klee - and not having to strip to make one is GREAT news!

now, gentlemen, back to the workshop - the soundlab has to be finished first.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know why everyone is so worried about stripping for a DIY electronics project. Nakedness and a hot soldering iron go together quite well I think! Should try it sometime, it's very exciting! Confused Shocked Laughing

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
creekree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ja unca, but you're like the GOD of stripboarding Smile

no seriously, i guess i am just to worried to fuck up a stripboard - i prefer to etch my pcbs.
makes me feel like an alchemist Wink
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, well, stripboarding has it's place.
But it's also important to push yourself beyond your comfort zone sometimes. That's how we learn new things hey?

Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey K, do you know of anyone who has built the Klee with your layouts?

C
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I don't. Laughing
Someone mentioned that they might try, if I did a modification which included one of the other Voltage Scaler options. I said if they started with another board, I'd have a look at it later on.
I hope they don't sue for psychological trauma when they see what may or may not ensue over the next few months in the Paraguay parliament, if the weather isn't too inclement, if you know what I mean. Confused Shocked Wink

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Are you sure that you are not married to Laurie Anderson??

Nope, I think that would be a violation of the little know electro-music by-law that no more than one member can have a famous singing wife Very Happy

Quote:
what may or may not ensue over the next few months in the Paraguay parliament

I have every faith in the speaker of the house....Paraguay shall persevere! Some day soon the triumverate should meet with the prime minister, though. I recommend they pay tribute with a vocoder swathed in a garland of olive.....

Sheesh - did I just write that sentence?

Cheers,
Scott

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well,......

Well,......

C'mon!

"swathed in a garland of olive..." what?

The suspense is killing me! Laughing

Page 18 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: