electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Super Klee Sequencer
Page 19 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, look at his avatar - wouldn't a crown of laurels look good on there?

Anyway, here's a sort of plea for the Klee thread readers: I'm uploading a draft of part of the Klee ops manual. It's the section that attempts to describe what it is the Klee does. This thread is huge, and the information is so scattered throughout, I wonder if what a Klee Sequencer is generally known by more than a few people.

So, this portion covers the basic fundamentals of the Klee pattern generator and gate bus - it stops right at the description of the merge switches (I'm still working on that). There will be a separate operations section (programming the pattern, clocking it) - this section is more along the lines of understanding the underlying nature of the beast.

I certainly would appreciate feedback - is the style too simplistic, unnecessarily technical, confusing? Does it help to clear confusion or serve to inflict it? Please let me know!

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: It probably would have helped to number the pages - I can fix that and upload a numbered version (and fix a couple of minor grammatical errors, and one error right after Figure 22 - it should read "step three selects stages three and seven" not "three and four").

Edit 2: Numbered version uploaded, fixed the figure 22 thing.

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was actually a very good read Scott. I'm finally confident that I understand how it works. Thanks. Smile
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Uncle K!
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, I now know how to pronounce Klee Cool I kinda quit reading the posts when it went over my head so this was definately a good read. I understand the Klee enough now to know I have to have one. I was hoping for a little more of the patented Scott Stites humor though, but it wasn't dry.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, WZ! Hmmm..... let's see. How about this:

A Klee Sequencer walks into a bar with a parrot on its shoulder....

Very Happy

sneakthief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Klee Manual wrote:

When it reaches the end, at step eight, the LED will jump back to the first step and repeat the “ABACABAC”sequence again – repeatedly - for as long as you can stand to listen to it ...You have now created a rhythmic backdrop of notes upon which you can build your next great composition.

omg this is pure gold! the only other manual that was as entertaining to read was for the Latronic Notron, which featured such gems as:

Notron Manual wrote:

We will endeavor to be as patronizing as possible, 'cos if you are in possession of the Notron you are already on the ladder to superstardom and need bringing down to earth. Besides, we know what it can do - you don't ...yet.

and

Quote:
But when you get scared, when the limitless horizons of the Mighty Notron bring confusing musical agoraphobia, when the swearing starts, when all is lost and madness reigns supreme. We will still be here, warm and safe. Full of understanding.

We love you.

goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. That was quite a good read. I can now say that what i thought was totally wrong and now now I don't really know what I think, but I think it's right and I like it. My next order will definately have some stripboard in it as i plan to tackle this monster. As you say, the best way to find out is to do some experimenting.
-justin
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great, scott.

actually i am not sure how to cope with that thread. i thought i had shelved that all but now i am excited again!

so i will have to redesign the frontpanel and see...

Fidgit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent, scott.
very clear, hands-on, good examples and understandable.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

goodrevdoc wrote:
My next order will definately have some stripboard in it as i plan to tackle this monster.

Don't go investing in a pile of stripboard just yet. Well, everyone needs a bit of stripboard for the odd circuit that might need quick transfer from breadboard etc. but don't buy heaps of it just yet, you might want to wait and see what you get for Christmas (in June) first. Wink

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
...you might want to wait and see what you get for Christmas (in June) first. Wink

dancing

sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hot damn! Cool
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
A Klee Sequencer walks into a bar with a parrot on its shoulder....
yes. That should be the first line

So a gate bus, a shift register and a LED are a on a deserted island...

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..and the LED says "So, is that a positive going transient, or are you just happy to see me?"

Very Happy

Sneakthief, I'd buy anything that had a manual like that Notronic "We love you" Laughing

Thanks for the feedback, guys, I think I'm on an even keel now as to how to proceed. This section is more of the theory of operation - I hope to have an introductory hands-on section as well, and a section that just describes the controls for reference. But, there had to be some point of reference for those, so that's why this section is being written.

Nothing makes me crazier than a operations manual that either is 2 mm thick and tells you nothing, or one that is just a list of ingredients with no mention of how to make the soup, so to speak.

For example, my mother bought this hideous computer that falls into the camp of the former - its a slim little document that would be bad enough if that tiny space were reserved for one language, but the modicum of information it provides, useless as it is , is actually spread out over like five languages. Absolute shite - no way to eject the CD ROM other than through software control - apparently (not even mentioned in the manual). Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Stites on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To operate a Klee sequencer, it’s not necessary to know all of the information contained in this section. In a way, studying this almost runs counter to the philosophy of the Klee Sequencer.

I'm together with that Philosophy! Thanks Scott for putting the potentially head-aching into practical (and fun) terms. After reading, I felt like I absorbed a healthy dose of Smart Rays from you. Oops, just spilled coffee down my shirt. Guess it's a short-term side-effect. Better go now. . . .

PS: +1 Klee PCB

Last edited by germaniac on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
jonkull

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
goodrevdoc wrote:
My next order will definately have some stripboard in it as i plan to tackle this monster.

Don't go investing in a pile of stripboard just yet. Well, everyone needs a bit of stripboard for the odd circuit that might need quick transfer from breadboard etc. but don't buy heaps of it just yet, you might want to wait and see what you get for Christmas (in June) first. Wink

Will we perhaps be celebrating Christmas this June with a group buy of PCBs? Smile
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Don't go investing in a pile of stripboard just yet. Well, everyone needs a bit of stripboard for the odd circuit that might need quick transfer from breadboard etc. but don't buy heaps of it just yet, you might want to wait and see what you get for Christmas (in June) first.

Oh and I've been such a good boy this year too! Seriously, this would be my first stripboard project so a worse trial by fire I couldn't imagine. So +1 for sanity saving stocking stuffers (whatta mouthful!)
-justin
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Oops, just spilled coffee down my shirt.

That would be par for the course for my rays Laughing

Adam-V

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good work Scott. I knew the klee was good and this just reinforces the fact.
(And that I want one... or two... or three!)

Cheers,
Adam-V
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great job Scott! Pretty rare for a technical whiz such as yourself to also communicate something so technical in a clear down-to-earth manner. This thing is complex even for folks used to such things! No wonder I wasn't fully getting it from the thread. Also looks like a hell of a fun piece to improv with!!

Interesting timing as I just bought a Mobius sequencer and received it yesterday. Very cool 16 step MIDI and CV-Gate-Trigger sequencer with lots of features, especially considering the price. One extremely cool feature is programmable glide time per step. I didn't realize how musically useful that would be.

OT suggestion to all
check out Paul Klee's atrwork sometime - it's wonderful.
One of my favorite artists: "The K Boys" - Kandinsky, Klee and Klimpt.

Cheers and THANKS SCOTT (and friends) Very Happy
Phil

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorvague wrote:

Oh yes. It's already been covered! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
doctorvague

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
doctorvague wrote:

Oh yes. It's already been covered! Very Happy

No surprise Very Happy
I think I walked in on P16 and had several glazed-over moments trying to get up to speed. Oy vey And the glaze-over wasn't just beer either BTW

drv

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see that you are a Beefheart fan too Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Hey, that's been a while for me... I should record some old cassettes into my my computer Very Happy

Back to the topic: Scott that's an excellent text you wrote !

doctorvague

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Hey, that's been a while for me... I should record some old cassettes into my my computer Very Happy

Back to the topic: Scott that's an excellent text you wrote !

Beefheart, Miles Davis and Mahavishnu Orchestra are my biggest influences...

That and the Klee Sequencer Schematic, of course!!

Seriously Beefheart's stream-of-conciousness music is right in line with the Klee.
Kinda.

I'm playing around a bit but as I was thinking about the Klee today and playing with this new Mobius (it's kickass) I was thinking what an awesome forward-thinking creation the Klee is and how neat it is to be here out on the boundaries of the new creative sounds we can make. It truly is a great time for people like us to have these tools. I'm thankful as I can possibly be for all of it and especially the forward-thinkers driving it, the guy designing the PC board and mailing it out... a lot of generosity to be thankful for. This is one place where the world comes together in the best way. Thanks to all.
But mostly it's fun Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
drv

Page 19 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: