electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry UD-1 Drum Voice Page Is Up
Page 2 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I was just wondering, did you use the default board size in ExpressPCB software so that one can get the 3 board for $51.00 deal?

no i didn't. it's bigger. but i did it for my personal use with press'n'peel blue. and don't forget: i did not check this design for errors. i redraw the schematic and there might be errors in it. i don't have the time for now.

maybe i do a double sided miniboard next week for the special 51$ deal...
the three boards for 51$ would be interesting , especially for this drumvoice project, where you might want more than just one voice...

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so here we go:

i just finished a layout fitting the miniboard deal requirements. the zip contains the .pcb file, the .sch with the redrawn schematic (as said before i didn't triplecheck my redraw), the BOM and a jpg that explains how to connect the pots...

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, this is awesome !!! Talk about a response !! Thanks !! I downloaded the zip and as you stated, the redraw should be checked against the original, again.

The $51.00 board deal is a good one for small prototypes. I did this with my SSM2164 VCA design. I have posted a picture of those three boards also.

You WILL want to put together several voices! here is my analog drum system!

Thanks,
Bill

analog_drum_panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.03 KB
 Viewed:  28851 Time(s)

analog_drum_panel.JPG

6X210002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.27 KB
 Viewed:  28819 Time(s)

6X210002.JPG

Last edited by State Machine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bdu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
You WILL want to put together several voices! here is my analog drum system!

Impressive, can we get a description of what all of that is?
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Impressive, can we get a description of what all of that is?

Thanks,

Well, From the top, the first 4 rows are the controls for my modified ADV BASS units acting as Bass and Toms. The functionality was not modified but I modified the drive currents to the CA3080 OTA chips for a much better sound, I think, as the original circuit generated lots of popping and thumping when playing the drums rapidly. The CA3080 IC is really not that great of an OTA for fast changing "I abc" as it can bleed through to the output. A better chip to use, in my opinion, is the LM13700 and was designed for this very reason, to keep the control current out of the output. The LM13600 does not have good isolation either. The LM137000 also has better S/N ratio and linearity.

Back to the unit,

The next two rows are the controls for the ADV Snare. I also modified it's noise source for best sound.

The bottom unit is my home brew, ,16F877 based, (MIDI - to - Trigger) generator so that I may sequence all my analog drums from my computer sequencer or other synthesizers with a MIDI OUT. Also included in the panel is the "Clangora". The MIDI-TRIGGER maps standard general MIDI drum patch note numbers to each output so that most drum machines can drive the thing directly and all the correct drums will fire off!!

It was a fun project.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the UD-1 PCB's will hit the market soon as promised! here is a view of the current layout.

The price for each board will be : $15.00 .. I will be doing a run of 100 boards so I will have plenty of boards and I have a decent stock of LM566 VCO and LM3080 chips. I also have a good stock of all the passives. I will sell the UD-1 capacitor kits, resistor kits, semiconductor kits, etc ... The prices for the parts will come soon.

Thanks all !!
Bill

UD-1_PCB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.35 KB
 Viewed:  28811 Time(s)

UD-1_PCB.jpg

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two words: Woo Hoo! Far freakin' out. OK, that's five words.

Nice looking board - is the same manufacturer as the SN-Voice? That was one nice board....

Cheers,
Scott
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill, You are the man!!!

Looking forward to their impending availability.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Adam-V

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a hastily knocked together Eurorack front panel design for the UD-1 based on the circuit on Scott's site. I've deliberately left the volume pot off but could be persuaded to do another design with it included if there is interest.

Cheers,
Adam-V

UD-1.gif
 Description:
Hasty Eurorack Front Panel
 Filesize:  26.95 KB
 Viewed:  666 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

UD-1.gif

Last edited by Adam-V on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward for some pcb's to Smile
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:
Here's a hastily knocked together Eurorack front panel design for the UD-1 based on the circuit on Scott's site. I've deliberately left the volume pot off but could be persuaded to another design with it included if there is interest.

Cheers,
Adam-V

would be easy enuf to squeeze the volume pot back in: move th trigger led over and up towards the jack, slide up the CV/Tone/Wave pots (and the CV jack), and volume goes where wave was, right next to output where it shd be...

b
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Two words: Woo Hoo! Far freakin' out. OK, that's five words.

Nice looking board - is the same manufacturer as the SN-Voice? That was one nice board....

Sure they will !! Very Happy

Double Sided
Silk Screened
Solder Mask
Standard Connector Footprints

Also, I did add one small feature. You will be able to plug in a UNIVERSAL VOLUME CONTROL foot pedal into the UD-1 to modulate the pitch of the drum. This in addition to all the other controls. So, an extra stereo jack will need to be added to the front panel labeled "FOOT CONTROLLER" or what ever you like !
Very Happy Very Happy

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Here's a hastily knocked together Eurorack front panel design for the UD-1 based on the circuit on Scott's site. I've deliberately left the volume pot off but could be persuaded to another design with it included if there is interest.

Just make sure you take a peek at my last post. You might want to add the foot controller input also. It will be a stereo jack.

Bill
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simply amazing. Gotta get at least three! Also nice layout Adam-V, I had something similar in mind for frac.
-justin
Adam-V

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reckon I could squeeze the foot controller jack in to my layout between the CV and the Output Jacks. Does it have a attenuating pot to go with it?

Cheers,
Adam-V
Adam-V

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

goodrevdoc wrote:
Also nice layout Adam-V, I had something similar in mind for frac.
-justin

Thanks Justin. Once the design is finalised I'll post the Illustrator file for people here to use (assuming there is interest in me doing so that is).

Cheers,
Adam-V
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Does it have a attenuating pot to go with it?

Actually no, I did not think about one since the foot controller has a pot in it so the degree of of pitch deviation is dependent on how much you press the foot pedal. I suppose one could add a depth pot but figured there were enough pots Very Happy

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The UD-1 layout is done and here is a graphic of both copper layers and the silkscreening ..

The board dimensions are 3.8" x 2.5". Very compact!

I will be making up the pricing for full kits, chip kits, passive kits, PCB, etc ... so look out for the announcement ........ Very Happy

Bill

ud1_pcb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.53 KB
 Viewed:  28804 Time(s)

ud1_pcb.jpg

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Simply amazing. Gotta get at least three!

Great, I would assume that many would want two, three, or more because, as I said before, who would build a drum kit with a single voice. I am also really excited about the 16 Channel [MIDI to TRIGGER PULSE GENERATOR] unit I am cooking up. The firmware is written for my 8 channel prototype device I constructed, and is in use in a 6 voice drum system, so adding 8 more trigger channels is really just redundancy. Each channel can be assigned any NOTE number. The unit can respond to MIDI channels 1 thru 16 with a default of MIDI channel "10". The MIDI channel is most commonly used for drum tracks.

Bill
bblaze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

has anyone built the expressPCB yet? I just got 3.. put the first one together, and am having some problems, so i'm in troubleshooting mode.. the power to the 074 seems fine, but i've smoked the first one.. i'm about to start w/ just the 074, and work my way thru the circuit, just wanted to see if people had successfully built it yet. lemme kno
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Bblaze,

welcome

I haven't built the Express PCB version. The best advice I can offer you may already know anyway, but what the heck:

In my experience, I've found the TL074 can put up with a lot of abuse - its outputs can be inadvertenly shorted to ground for long stretches unitl the (cough) breadboarder notices what he's done. Dunno about shorting them to rails, but I do know what will smoke a TL074 faster than anything: reverse the power pins. TL074s just hate that and will let you know it PDQ. So, my best advice, however lame it may be, is to double check the power pins and the orientation of the TL074. Maybe someone who's built the UD-1 from this layout can chime in.

Cheers,
Scott

bblaze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Dunno about shorting them to rails, but I do know what will smoke a TL074 faster than anything: reverse the power pins. TL074s just hate that and will let you know it PDQ.

ya.. i did that the first time.. i thought pin 1 was positive.. durrr.. so i replaced and am finding a few more things.. but i'll get thru them..

I'm not sure my envelope generator is working yet, but it seems to oscillate a bit higher then i would have imagined.. maybe it'll be solved when the envelope is going..
bugbrand

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo - I don't think I've said properly yet, but I'll def. have two of these. Multi-thanks!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Yo - I don't think I've said properly yet, but I'll def. have two of these. Multi-thanks!

OK, thanks !!! hey BTW, Spike the percussionist was down at EM 2007 with some of your "Bug Brand" modules in addition to a bunch of other crazy electronics !!!

Any, I am finishing up on the documentation now and should be taking orders soon ....

I will also post pricing for the UD-1 kits and individual parts kits ....

Bill
bblaze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So.. I got my expressPCB Up and going! wheee.. now, I had prototyped and modified an ADV-BASS a long time ago.. it used a different oscillator tho, so i've got a few questiosn..

1) I'd like to make it more "bass"ey.. i.e, lower oscillation freq.. so when i turn up the sweep, it's not so "squeaky" (as my wife would say).. so.. i change the capacitor going b/w pin 7 and 8 of the 566, correct? higher val or lower val?

2) I'd like to have seperate decay generators for pitch and amp.. should i just copy the diode, cap, pot, res, and trans? basically, i'm thinking mirror that part.. disconnect the p6 pot, and attach my mod here.. sound good?

what other mods should i think of implementing?
Page 2 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: