electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry UD-1 Drum Voice Page Is Up
Page 3 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bblaze wrote:
So.. I got my expressPCB Up and going!

you talk about the layout i did months ago? that would be great. i never built it or even checked it for errors! it was just for fun...

bblaze

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hahahaha.. ya.. i spent the $60 for 3 boards.. the first one i botched and got halfway working.. didn't want to trouble shoot it much more.. the 2nd one works great.. gonna modify it a bit and test for buildin gthe 3rd one.. Smile
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's realy great. wished i had the same luck with the super controller which i triple checked! . hooked the prototype up and NOTHING worked. i then discovered that the transistors were rotated by 180deg. turned them and still nothing works so i will have a jolly good time of troubleshooting next week...
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik,

Just a suggestion, but you could use the folks on this forum to help check the layout. If 2 heads are better than one and the more the merrier, etc.....
Having stated this, I won't be able to assist as I head out on vacation for a week in the woods with 30+ Boy Scouts! But if you're still out of luck in a week, let me know. I've laid out many pcb's over the years and am willing to assist. Sometimes the mistakes are obvious to someone who hasn't spend hours staring at it already. Just a thought...
goldenechos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Quote:

Nice looking board - is the same manufacturer as the SN-Voice? That was one nice board....

Sure they will !! Very Happy

Double Sided
Silk Screened
Solder Mask
Standard Connector Footprints

Bill

I REALLY APPRECIATE THESN-VOICE BOARDS.
HOWEVER I found the layout to be confusing as the Resistor and Cap numbers followed no discernable pattern making parts placement time consuming.

Also, what is the increase in cost to have the boards tinned? I had to use a flux pen on every hole in order to get good joints on both sides.

Again, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE BOARDS, well worth the money spent.

TR
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I REALLY APPRECIATE THESN-VOICE BOARDS.
HOWEVER I found the layout to be confusing as the Resistor and Cap numbers followed no discernable pattern making parts placement time consuming.

Thanks. As for the layout, I kept the same references for the resistors and capacitors as Thomas Henry intended. This way if anyone had parts for the kit and wanted a PCB for it, they could use the parts they owned. I figured it would be less confusing. Sorry ....... Very Happy

Quote:
Also, what is the increase in cost to have the boards tinned? I had to use a flux pen on every hole in order to get good joints on both sides.

Right now, I am not able to get the board tinned so you will need to use an RMA flux to get good topside flow for my boards. Make sure the iron is clean and set it to about 750 degrees F. You probably know this of course. Very Happy Put a drop of flux and preheat the pad and you should be good to go! You will have to remove the flux when you are done using a flux removal solvent or just alcohol.

Quote:
Again, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE BOARDS, well worth the money spent.

Thanks for your feedback. I will find out if I can get future boards tinned to make the soldering easier for everyone. That is a very good idea and one I will see about for sure. Again, thanks so much.

Bill
Thomas_Henry

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi gang,

Since things didn't work out this summer for getting six new projects out the door, I decided to catch up on my backlog of old things. Among them was my own hard copy of the UD-1. (My previous version had lived only on a breadboard).

Here's some pictures of it.

Thomas Henry

UD1 Front.jpg
 Description:
Front Side
 Filesize:  46.2 KB
 Viewed:  829 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

UD1 Front.jpg

UD1 Back.jpg
 Description:
Back Side
 Filesize:  48.69 KB
 Viewed:  759 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

UD1 Back.jpg

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick question: can the 500K pots be substituted with 1M?
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Quick question: can the 500K pots be substituted with 1M?

Your referring to the BLEND and DECAY potentiometers. You should be able to do this without any problems. In fact, for the decay, that's the value I used (1M) for my module since I liked the ability to have longer decay times. The blend should not be adversely affected either going to a 1M.

You may want to stick with LINEAR (B Type) potentiometers though as I did not see mention of response Wink

BTW, have you seen the Quad Bass++ circuit boards? Four Bass /Tom voices on a single circuit board.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-39402.html&postorder=asc

Bill
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you. That's good to know, since I already have a bunch of 1M pots on hand.

Another question: I have a schematic for mods to the UD-1, including adding a volume decay pot, peak limit resistor and lower pitch cap. I cannot find the source for that. Can anyone point me to it? I'm guessing there's some notes that go with it, which I would like to review.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
including adding a volume decay pot, peak limit resistor and lower pitch cap. I cannot find the source for that. Can anyone point me to it? I'm guessing there's some notes that go with it, which I would like to review.

Are there any values or other specifications associated with your present notes? I could help more with that information.

Bill
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

Here's the diagram I was referring to. I don't take any credit for it, nor can I vouch for its accuracy. It looks like your schematic from the UD1 PCB docs, with some extra stuff added to it.

Romeo

ud1_mods_schem.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.65 MB
 Viewed:  35053 Time(s)

ud1_mods_schem.jpg

Adam-V

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

Finally got around to assembling one of my UD-1s and it works a treat but when the decay and the sweep are turned up, the pitch is a little high for my liking. If I was to disconnect the ground side of R1 and connect it to -15V instead, would this have any adverse consequences? I'd like the Initial pot to be able to counteract the higher pitch caused by the above mentioned settings.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Adam-V

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:
Hi Guys,

Finally got around to assembling one of my UD-1s and it works a treat but when the decay and the sweep are turned up, the pitch is a little high for my liking. If I was to disconnect the ground side of R1 and connect it to -15V instead, would this have any adverse consequences? I'd like the Initial pot to be able to counteract the higher pitch caused by the above mentioned settings.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Anybody???

Cheers,
Adam-V

bblaze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cracked my ud-1 open a few days ago for some tweaking.. Any chance you still have the PCB image around still? I can't access it here
bblaze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe i'll approach this a different way.. attached is a sample that i *think* sounds incorrect.. This is a triangle wave going thru.. The tail has a sort of metallic sound, almost like the square is bleeding.. The waves from the osc look fine, but i feel like this shouldn't have that high pitched staticy sort of tail.. IT seems to be coming in at either the VCA or the output stage, but i don't really have a meter.. Looking for any advice here.. THANKS!

2 Kick - Copy.wav
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2 Kick - Copy.wav
 Filesize:  321.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1395 Time(s)

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So i finally got round to finishing my first UD-1
pitch seemed way too high for a tom sound
up around 5Khz for its lowest initial setting- weird
checked everything C8 value, initial voltage,
voltages to the LM566 all seemed fine
even swapped the LM566
ended up trying a few different values in parallel with C8
which lowered the pitch ok
now the original value of C8 is .022uf according to the BOM and schematic
I ended up with 1uf to get down to a reasonable floor tom sound
and not a bad high rack tom sound with the initial pot all the way clockwise
I certainly dont get as low a freq as Bblazes sample
It all seems to be working fine but really that is a massive difference in cap values to get it to there.
any idea's anyone ?
I have another 3 yet to complete , just need to finish panel wiring
so I guess we shall see if they work out similar.

as good an answer as any
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could it be that there's a charging resistor error? I would think a 10k instead of a 100k, for example, would behave similarly....
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

one of the first things i checked was the resistor values off pin 6
I even lifted one side and metered them directly.
I have a few tubes of LM566 i must go through and check them all as well
some are obviously pulls , some look possibly fake a few look NOS
i shall see if this highlights some variance
the one i have going is working nice with the odd C8 value , i will wire up a second and compare

as good an answer as any
AlasdairMoons

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be interrested to in some PCB layout for etching ..

Are they still around or does sMs still supply some boards??

my DIY-blog: http://ardvinnamodular.blogspot.be
my DIY Youtube-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAR64-81C3FbK_Hejz2QHw
my Music-Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzTd_AEK6CVM4gn325wvjYQ
my Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AlasdairMoon
prophei

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: any information left? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Guys...

I just pulled my old SMS UD-1 board out, but no longer have any of the documentation. i have no idea how to wire all the IO. Do the original docs still exist?

Thanks!

prophei
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites' site moved to here:

http://birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/Pages/UD-1.html
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also I have this lying around, hopefully Bill is OK with me reposting it at this point....

(let me know if you're not, and I can take it down)

UD-1_Tech_Guide.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  UD-1_Tech_Guide.pdf
 Filesize:  636.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1116 Time(s)

Appliancide*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone still have PCBs for this? If not, I might have to try this on perfboard.
Page 3 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: